XB100-30 Bass Pack Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 03/30/2010 category: Bass Guitars
Washburn: XB100-30 Bass Pack
Don't just jumpstart your bass playing, experience lift off with the XB100-30 Bass Pack. The XB100 has become the standard that all starter basses are measured against and it is now available in a complete package, matched up with a Randall 30 watt bass combo amp! The kit also includes gig bag, digital tuner, picks, cable, strap and an instructional CD-Rom.
 Features: 7.5
 8.4
 9.2
 7.5
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
XB100-30 Bass Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2005

Features: It's a 34" scale neck, I think it is a rosewood fingerboard, and a maple neck, with a mahogany body, split coil pickups, obviously P-Style pickups, adjustable truss-rod, active electronics, I'm not sure about the bridge, there is a volume and a tone knob, but those two knobs can do so much. // 8

Sound: This bass fits my music style very well. It has madass low end and nice punchy mid end as well, I use Crate bass amps and Peavy bass amps, it has a little bright sound with it, depends on the strings. It has a nice rich sound when tuned very low, it is amazing, rumbles up my recording place. You can string bend, slap, anything really, just be creative. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on it is good, after what I have done to my Washburn, it honestly sounds like a Spector, or a very good Ibanez. I'm not lying, the pickups were laid down nicely, they could of needed better quality because you do hear pop sounds sometimes if you accidently pull to hard while playing and all that funstuff. The only flaws that I knew of, was that the nut isn't that great, try replacing it. I used my own method for a better tone, without spending any money, the input screws strip the wood, but you can solve that easily if you know how to work with it. There is the fret buzz here and there, but you gotta get used to it, and file down it all to make it nice again. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played many shows with this, and hell my friends have dropped this many times. I pick it up, and it sounds better every time (not saying you should drop it). The hardware doesn't look like it wold take a beating, so I went to my local hardware store, and matched up the hardware size and bought replacement stuff. It was hard for the stripped hardware though so, the strap buttons are fine, but I upgraded to the Straplock sysem from Dunlop. Better stuff so, this is my first bass, and I would use this bass without a backup because I know how to use it, and I know it wont fail on me. And the beating it takes from me, I would depends m life on it. The finish on it, will last, I have the natural matte finish, and I don't see anything wrong with it, hit some stickers and your set. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play nice metal, Iron Maiden, Cannibal Corpse, The Berzerker, Symphony X, Red Hot Chili Peppers, anything you can imagine. I've been well involved with music for 5 years now, and I've been playing bass for more than 3 years and so many bands want me to play, I did not ask anything when I bought this, because it came with a powerful 30 watts Washburn bass amp, I blew it out like nothng, so I moved on, but I reccomend using the amp as a chair or something when you kill it, if my bass was stolen, I think what I would do is buy a new one, you knwo for variety of tones, and then re-buy the Washburn again, very worth every dollar. Hat I love about this bass, is its full rich low end you get when you have that mad bass line rollin down, or when you have a nice funk lick that sounds sick like Flea from Chili Peppers. I hate the pickups, but buy some DiMarzios to change it. I would compare this to be just about even or even better than Spectors, Ibanez's, maybe ESP's, just name it, you just gotta work with it and with the bass a little bit for that nice sound. // 9

XB100-30 Bass Pack Reviewed by: Les_Frederiksen, on march 30, 2010

Purchased from: Private Party

Features: I purchased this in near new condition from a close friend who had never really played it. This bass was Stellar with original it's original single passive pickup and simple volume and tone controls. If you are looking for the ability to shape and mold your sound heavily using only your bass, this is not for you. However if you are looking for a simplistic bass that will go through hell and back, the Washburn XB100 fits the bill perfectly. // 7

Sound: Playing this bass as it was sold was excellent, but upgrading the pickups took it to a whole other level. Original pickups provide a fairly bright poppy sound, but can be shaped to play some darker, heavier music as well. My style involves a fair amount of chordal playing, and the sound was great. I did however purchase DiMarzio humbuckers and I can say hands down, between how well the DiMarzio's compliment the sound and how great this bass plays, I will never get rid of it. Fret buzz is minimal on the rare occasion it occurs. Overall, this is a very versatile bass that can be used for all styles successfully. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: You will not find better action for the price than you can get with this Washburn. I have played with a number of other basses, including Ibanez, Warwick, etc and while those do have mind blowing action, I can Switch back to the Washburn with ease. This bass was flawless when it came into my possession. The neck is rather quick, so transitioning to higher on the neck is no trouble at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is my primary bass for gigging, and it hasn't given me a problem yet. I upgraded to Dunlop Straplocks, however I never had any issues with the originals. This bass has been knocked over, thrown around, and even had a cinderblock put on top of it at one point(Long story...) and still looks and plays great. I have taken this bass through hell and back and I would still gig with it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a broad range of music, from Jack Johnson sounding music to A7x covers and I can depend on this bass to work every style in between perfectly. I got a much better product than I was expecting, and would certainly buy one again if something ever happened to this one. My only complaint is I do wish it had a bridge pickup, but the DiMarzio pickups provide enough tone to make up for it. I would recommend this bass for anyone from a beginner to a seasoned pro. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WI66PRO 8.6 Electric Guitars 04/28/2014