B1000 Review

manufacturer: Westfield date: 07/30/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Westfield: B1000
Deep, fat and deadly, the B1000 gets the job done, no matter what the requirement. Always loads of bottom end available, which is what bass is all about after all.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 Features: 6.5
 6.3
 6.8
 5.8
reviews (2) pictures (7) 18 comments vote for this gear:
B1000 Reviewed by: Mr_Jubby_Jubs, on december 29, 2006

Features: Made 2005, but not sure where. It has 20 frets, a maple neck and a rosewood body. It has a plain black finish and a black scratch plate. It is a typical beginners bass with a P-Bass style body and a split humbucker pickup. The electronics are passive and it has one volume and one tone control. The hardware is all chrome. Although it looks exactly like a Squire or Encore beginner P-Bass styled guitar it has a couple of features which are quite nice and surprised me, the first is the strap buttons are very large and solid and the second is the tuning pegs keep it in tune very well. It came with a sucky gig bag, a strap which kept falling off despite the decent strap buttons, a few picks and an unspeakably terrible 15W amp which if you turned the volume on it above 3 it buzzed like crazy and had to be turned off. // 5

Sound: It suits my musical style reasonably well which is now punk but when I started using it I mainly played pop-punk like Green Day and Blink 182 and it suited that well too. After five months of using the terrible 15 watt amp it came with I bought a Behringger 30 watt and it sounds much better now, I don't use any effects with it. The sound doesn't vary much at all and the only way to hear a difference in the tone is to have the control at either 0 or 10. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was quite high and it didn't buzz ever. The pickups were close to the strings and I could easily rest my thumb on them for fingerstyle playing. There were no flaws in this guitar when I bought it and everything was tight and worked properly except for the Jack which came loose but I fixed that easily. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This bass could probably survive most Live situations quite easily. The hardware seems quite solid and should last. The strap buttons were tight and I can jump around without fear of them coming loose. Once the headstock of this bass hit my door with a lot of force, the door got a big chip and the only thing this bass got was some white paint where it had made contact so the wood is solid.I would never gig without a backup but in a situation when there wasn't one this bass would do fine. The finish is not terribly solid, it has a lot of bumps and dings on the front and the back is really scratched up from my studded belt scraping it. // 6

Overall Impression: I have played for one year now and own an Epiphone Thunderbird which I think easily surpasses this bass. If this bass was stolen I would not buy it again as it is a bass for a beginner and I prefer my thunderbird. I love how it stays in tune very well and I hate how the finish isn't strong. Overall I think this is a good bass for a beginner which is worth what you pay for it and is better than other budget basses like Squires. // 7

B1000 Reviewed by: fuzzandbuzz, on july 30, 2013

Purchased from: Electro Music (Doncaster)

Features: Not sure what year this bass was made but at a guess probably in the last 5 years and was more than likely made in Asia somewhere. It has 20 frets on a maple fret board, the neck is quite wide and is very comfortable to play. The neck is maple and finished with a thin gloss which makes for a fast playing neck. The body is styled after a Fender Precision Bass and is finished in a glossy purple, with a black pick guard. The controls are simple, one tone knob and one volume knob. The pick-up is a super 500 and the tuners are stock but are still great. The bass came with no accessories just a receipt. // 8

Sound: At the moment I only have a 10 watt practice amp which limits the sound of the bass, but when I tested the bass out in the shop on a bigger, better amp it sounded great.I mainly play punk and alternative/grunge music and to be honest I can't complain, even on a small shitty amp it still does the job and sounds half decent. As far as variety is concerned, with a few turns of some knobs you can go from a really deep warm crushing sound to a real high, punchy, kick in the face sound. Similar to that of Mike Dirnt for e.g. and everything in between. You just can't complain really. Especially for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the bass the first thing I did was lower the action because it was quiet high. The pick-up wasn't set up properly and was way to low so I had to adjust that to. The nut is cut perfect and the tuners are super tight, the neck is set perfectly and the bridge is solid. The wood seems to be quality and I couldn't find any imperfections anywhere on the guitar. The strap nuts are solid but are a little small which scares me because I keep thinking its gonna fall off the strap so I will probably be replacing those, other than that it's all good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this bass is a perfect bass for playing live, it was cheap so you don't have to worry about it getting stolen or damaged as much as you would, say, a Fender or a Gibson, it sounds great, it's practically bullet proof, which is essential if your in the punk/hardcore scene and it looks cool as sh-t. I think its pretty dependable and I would gig with it without another bass. I think the strap buttons need replacing for bigger ones but other than that its all good. I think the finish would stand up to a few years of hard playing before it showed some scars. // 9

Overall Impression: I play punk/alternative/grunge or whatever you wanna label it. This bass stands up great to these styles. I can't remember how long I've played bass but I think its been about 2 years since I bought my first one. If this bass was stolen I probably wouldn't go out of my way to find the same brand and model again, I would just buy the best bass I could afford in the shop at the time. I love the value for money of this bass, because lets face it, most instruments in this price range are unplayable pieces of shit but this one is very good for the money, if you had to guess you would think it to be in the 200 - 250 range. I don't hate anything about this bass to be honest. Its not completely perfect 10/10 but its not hate-able. It's actually really good. // 8

More Westfield reviews rating category latest review
+ E4500 6.9 Electric Guitars 03/14/2013