RBX260 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 12/03/2010 category: Bass Guitars
It has a bolt-on neck, 24 frets with a rosewood fingerboard. Single split pickup, passive electronics, tone and volume knob, solid adjustable bridge and non-locking tuners. It has a really nice transparent green finish that lets the wood grain show thru. The grain was matched quite nicely for an entry-level bass.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 8.3
 7.8
 8.5
 7.1
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RBX260 Reviewed by: SLIP(SIC)KNOT, on january 30, 2006

Features: This bass has 24 frets, and has a solid top. The neck is maple with black finish. It has 2 EMG pickups with active electronics. There are volume and tone controls. I got a gig bag with mine. // 8

Sound: This bass really fits my style. I love the heavy stuff, like Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu. I use a little Fender practice amp with it. This bass has a great rich full sound. On the treble tone, it sounds really good on slap. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar doesnt have any flaws to my knowledge. The wood is great quality. The only probelm I've had with it is the tuning pegs that had to be adjusted at Straight Music, 'cause they were loose, but they work now. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing has lasted me a lot of playing and the hardware has never had to be changed at all. The strap buttons are very solid. I would never do a gig w/out a backup, but if I did, it would be with this bass. The finish has not worn off at all yet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of kinds. From Slipknot, to slapping songs, this bass covers it all. I've been playing for about 3 years. I didn't buy this, I got it from my cousin, but if it were stolen, I would definately buy a new one. I just wish it were a five string. It would be alot easier when playing songs that need to be tuned down. // 9

RBX260 Reviewed by: a_taratine, on july 13, 2005

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: - Made in Taiwan - 24 fret maple neck - Rosewood finderboard - Solid alder body - Split P-Bass style pickup - One volume & tone pot I got it used and it came with a musicman flight case. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very low, one of the most comfortable necks I have ever laid my hands upon. She was set up perfectly. She was nearly flawless, just a few minor scratches, but no big deal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: She should withstand live playing no problem. The hardware will last, but I'm thinking about replacing the tuners. The strap butons arent the best. I would defenetly use her without a backup. The finish will last decades. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything and everything, and she does the job fine. I haven't been playinig bass for very long, but have enough knowledge to say that this is a great bass for the lousy $150 I spend on her (the case alone is worth that much). I love the feel of this bass, very comfortable to play sitting, and I love the long horn. I compared her to a Fender P-Bass, and choose her, I liked the feeling of the neck more and the fact that she was 1K cheaper, but the Fender P-Bass sounded alot better. If I could change anything I would put the output jack at the bottom (like on a Les Paul), not on the front. // 8

RBX260 Reviewed by: Marcel Veltman, on february 13, 2006

Features: Basic features and specifications were already discribed in the above reviews. The only important difference is that mine was the RBX260F fretless version (I write this in past tense for the bass is no longer mine). It had the original rosewood fretboard with the slots filled up with strips of a lighter coloured wood, thus providing convenient position marks for easy intonation. As already said, this guitar is very basic and simple. There is not much on it, but what is there is of good quality. // 9

Sound: The sound was fine with the original round wound strings fitted. It did particularly well in a setting with acoustic instruments doing jazz, folk and all kinds of world music, but it would also rock if the demand was there. For the real heavy electrophonic stuff it was not persistent enough though. Hardcore metalheads should look around for something else. All this became even more pronounced after I fitted flatwounds. This really pushed the sound into the unplugged, upright acoustic bass mimmicking region, especially through my little SWR LA-12 amp. Through the Trace Elliot we use on stage it was a little bit more electric and somewhat less articulated (but much, much louder). The electronics were not shielded and the single coil pick-up could produce a lot of hum on occasions. Not enough to be audible while playing, but always enough to remind me to shut off the volume knob when I put the guitar on its stand. One big drawback of the flatwound strings was that they effectively reduced the bass to a three string, for after the conversion the G string was one big dead spot all the way from B up to F. Only in the far upper and lower end of the fretboard there was a little bit of sustain left. This must have been the reason why this guitar was originally equipped with round wounds. They were eating into the fretboard, though, so I had to replace them. Obviously the RBX is a little bit too light to be a fretless. As for the variety of sounds: sporting only one single coil and one tone knob that really doesn't do a lot, it may appear that tonal possibilities are limited, but that is not at all true. It is extremely sensitive to variations in playing style. By shifting thumb position a few centimeters or slight variations in fretting technique one can make more different sounds than the knobs and switches on a lot of other, more sophisticated basses. Personally I really like a guitar to be obedient to ones own dynamics and in this respect the Yamaha suited me very well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I did buy the guitar second hand I can't tell how well it was set up in the factory. All I can say that everything was perfect when I got it. Finish was good, except for a slight rough spot in the body shining through the laquer. Especially the neck felt very smooth and pleasant. Everything that mattered was spot on, crisp and precise; the electronics tidy and neatly soldered. The overall appearance a little bit too obviously CNC processed to my taste, though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: About reliability I can be short; nothing ever broke down or wore out. I had it for two years and during that time I did a lot of work on a lot of guitars, but never on this one. It never occured to me to take a second bass to gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I did trade in the Yamaha because I wanted something more versatile, but I found out that the multi-pickup, hyper active heavy weight Ibanez I bought instead has actually a narrower range of voices. Another big advantage I found the light weight and good balance on the strap. Ergonomics were superb and are not matched by my new bass, I have to regret. On the other hand it was probably the light weight that was to blame for the the biggest shortcoming of the Yam', namely the dead G string. This most probably doesn't apply to the fretted RBX260. Reliability, quality of hardware and overall finish all make for a most excellent price/quality ratio. As said, I did actually buy another guitar because I wanted something more beefy, and it took some persuasion to have me buy something else than a Yamaha. Now that I did I don't regret it, but I do miss the simplicity, the ergonomics and easy handling of my old Yamaha. I wish I could have kept it, but getting J150, on trade in was an offer I couldn't refuse. Chances are slim that another brand of bass in the same price-range could have matched this. // 9

RBX260 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2010

Purchased from: Pawn X-Change

Features: Got it in very good quality at a pawn shop; Rosewood on Maple 24-fret neck, solid red colored RBX-style Alder body with 2 smooth pick-ups, tone and volume knob, 4-string adjustable bridge, and the maple head is split 2-2. It's a beutiful bass. Not very heavy either, about as heavy as my Fender Strat. // 8

Sound: Using a small Fender amp, it makes a nice jazz sound when I play soft parts of songs, but sounds really nice with the Overdrive on my amp too. I tend to play Alt and Hard Rock, and I think this bass works perfect for almost any style, comparing to a Fender Precision that I used to play. I use the strings that the bass came with at the pawn shop, and they sound fine. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I noticed that the guitar is easy to scratch. I play quite a bit of pick, and for some reason that doesn't scratch it, but from every other imaginable way it does. It streaks up too, which is kind of annoying when you're playing live. But otherwise it looks fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have slapped this bass so hard and plucked so hard, and tried SO desperatley to break a string, and I swear to God I cannot. I've played this live, and it produces good sound. Used it for 2 years and Love it. // 9

Overall Impression: I've has the 260 for a while and can see that it's a good instrument. For learners, it's not the optimum guitar, (I would recommend a basic bass like a Fender or Fame precision) but I like it for personal playing and live. Get it if you have the chance. :) // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014