RBX270J Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 03/05/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Yamaha: RBX270J
The RBX270J is perfect for bass players seeking modern features at an affordable price. Expanding on the success of the RBX260, Yamaha has added several improvements including an additional pickup, side mount guitar jack, black headstock, and several exciting new finishes.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 8.2
 7.9
 8.4
reviews (5) pictures (6) 15 comments vote for this gear:
RBX270J Reviewed by: bassplayer_16, on december 24, 2004

Purchased from: Balones Music

Features: I pretty much fell in love with this bass when I picked it up and started playing it. Compared to my other bass (sum piece of s--t no name brand bass) the neck was wicked fast. It's got 24 frets, I can't remember rite off hand what kind of wood it is. It's a passive bass, with a volume, pickup blend, and tone controls you can get alot of different sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't have to modify the factory setup at all, then again I only got to play it for about 3 months before it broke on me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand live playing. But ever since the wires came off the output jack and I had to resauder them it hasnt been the same the bass buzzes really loud when I turn the volume to anything but full and when I turn the tone up, but in its good day it worked very well and I would have used it without my backup. // 4

Overall Impression: Very shittily put together. But sounded great. // 6

RBX270J Reviewed by: 00Flick, on april 08, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay UK

Features: This bass is a Japanese model made sometime in the mid-2000's. It is a four string model. It features the basic's you would expect in its price range. It has 24 frets, on a Rosewood fretboard. The neck itself is a 34" bolt-on maple neck. The neck is thin, and unvarnished, which gave it an extremely smooth feel, and made it extremely easy to play. The body is a solid Alder body, in a custom Yamaha shape. I personally, am a huge fan of the design, it's small body makes it incredibly light, and the double-cutaways make it really easy to really hit them high-notes. The bass features split-coil and single-coil passive pick-ups, presumably Yamaha's own brand. All hardware is chrome. (tuners, bridge.) The bass has three knobs. One master volume, and the other two to control the volume of the pick-ups. The bass came well packaged, and came with a cheap cable, that has now passed away after about 2 and a half months. Overall, basic, however, the bass does feel like it has years upon years of life in it. // 8

Sound: The split, and single coil pick-ups give the bass, without touching amp settings at all, a wide variety of different tones. It lives up to all the different genres of music I throw at it, and does it with ease. With the 270j, you can dial in just about any tone you want, and it will sometimes even sound as good, if not better than Mexican Jazz's, and they cost up to 3, 4 and even 5 times as much. By turning the J pick-up all the way, and the P pick-up to half, you get a nice punchy tone that can be slapped perfectly, and it works as well with finger-style playing. By maxing-out both, you get a nice smooth Jazz or Blues style finger-style tone. By maxing the P pickup, and halving the J, you get an unbelievably crisp pick-style tone. The only drawback for its sound I'd say is that it does hum a little when your fingers aren't touching the strings. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was near-to perfect when I received it. The only flaw it had was the action was just a fraction too high. (that rhymed.) Everything about the bass 2 1/2 months down the line is still perfect. The finish has no flaws in it at all, all the hardware is still firmly in place and everything is still working brilliantly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems like it has plenty of years of its life left at the moment. It has been dropped plenty of times, and the body doesn't even seem to dent. I take it to school, so you can imagine what it goes through there. The only cosmetic problems the guitar has at the moment is that the headstock has been chipped slightly at the top. Even close up it's barely visible. Strap buttons are firmly in place, not even moving a touch and I can DEFINATLEY depend on the guitar. The reliability of the guitar + it's excellent tone = a dream to play, and if I was gigging, I could trust it more than enough not to fail on me, and would take it without a backup. Excellent. Pretty much perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music, and use all techniques to play, and the Yamaha RBX 270j can make all of them sound a dream. I personally don't own any other equipment, because I'm not exactly made of money, but I play my cousins American Jazz, and he himself, being a bassist for 18 or so years say this lives up to his Jazz. My amplification was my dads, and he's had it since when he used to gig in the 80's, and it was my Grandad's before that so you can imagine how old it is. It's a Carlsbro Marlin 6 PA connected to a Carlsbro speaker, and the bass sounds amazing with it. If the bass were to ever fail on me, or if it was stolen, I'd definatley buy it again, however it would be good to try a range of Bass's too. I love pretty much everything about it. The only things I dislike is the hum it gives, and it's action out of the factory. My favourite feature for it would have to be it's neck. I actually prefer playing it to some basses over 800. Its thin and a dream to play. // 9

RBX270J Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2012

Price paid: € 246

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I've had this bass for almost 3 years now. Based on the serial and the document on the Yamaha site, mine was made in 2008 (somewhere around June to September, don't remember right now), in Indonesia. It is a typical passive P/J bass, with volume, balance and tone controls. Alder Body, Maple Neck, Palisander (i.e. Rosewood) Fingerboard, chrome hardware, but with black plastic knobs on the pots (I've replaced them with some old chrome ones I had). It is quite light and can be played for many hours without any encumbrance problems). It has a vintage-fender-style bass bridge, which is one of the weak spots, since there are no grooves and the G string barrel tends to move when down-thumping/stroking/picking. I've actually changed the bridge and placed a Gotoh B201-4, which somewhat improved clarity and sustain and more importantly, it cut all the rattling caused by the unstable barrels of the Vintage style bridge, especially during aggressive playing. Last weak spot is the jack, which was loose and I also changed (but only after it started losing contact while playing, which was 2.5 years after I bought the bass). This bass had a cheap wire (1.5m IIRC) included. // 7

Sound: I've used this bass in a variety of situations, though most of them could be defines as rock, in one way or another. Paired with steel strings (D'Addario Pro-Steels, or Rotosound Swing Bass 66) I can get a nice, well defined, bright and full tone that has often received compliments. The J-pickup on it's own has a nice growly sound while the P soloed delivers a quite full tone that maintains character and doesn't get muddy. I usually go for the middle, slightly favouring the J for fingerstyle. On ballads and stuff with log full notes, I use the P alone. The J pickup can cause a slight buzz when not grounded through body contact, but that has never been a problem. Nobody has ever noticed it in a gig. One often mentioned "flaw" of this bass is that it doesn't have a big fat bottom sound. I don't agree. Soloing the P pickup and playing with more skin close to the bridge I can get a very fat sound. Also the acoustics of this and any other bass, change completely when played in room level volume, compared to PA or loud amp situations. Before I ever used this bass live, I also thought it was a bit thin. But having used it now in a variety of live situations, I tend to eq-out some sub-lows (3 to 5 db cut at 50 hz), especially on gigs that take place in smaller venues. Using proper technique and carefully chosen strings, I've been able to get any sound that I've ever cared for, through this bass. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was a bit high at first, but no construction flaws. I've done my own setup on it and I've managed to get a very low action that suits my tastes exactly. NO rattling frets or anything. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The loose jack can be a problem, since heavy wires can actually fall on a sudden movement or something. Then again, I always wrap the wire through the strap, so I've never had this problem. I've used this bass often without a backup in live situations. The finish is, if anything, too thick. I'd prefer it if it was thinner and did show some ageing marks (other than dents). // 8

Overall Impression: This bass has served me well and will continue to do so for quite some time. Given that I've never been (nor am I likely to be any time soon) in a financial position to have enough (if any) disposable income to buy a high end bass, I've only ever had cheap basses. Most of them (all?) usually have a bad fret or two (or 3, 4...) and that is what makes or breaks a bass for me, because it limits my playing. The Yamaha RBX-270J bass doesn't have any of these problems and it has never made me think that I couldn't play anything I want with it. Other brands might have more slick or pretty models, but this one is a real workhorse. Compared to all other basses I've ever played, that were around it's price range (even some that cost more than double), I'd recommend this without any hesitation. // 9

RBX270J Reviewed by: sam?bass, on july 28, 2008

Features: I really like this bass because it's quite light (small and thin body) compared to a Precision or Jazz bass. The neck was just right and it's really easy to learn/play on this bass. Everything is quite smooth. // 8

Sound: This bass is pretty versatile because of its pickups style. I play through a 20W Peavey practice amp. The sound is quite mellow and warm and bassy. It doesn't sound cheap at all. You can change between pickups for different sounds, like from a trebley tone to a rich and louder tone. Of course, it would be cool if it a humbucker. But this guitar really doesn't have any flaws in terms of sound except for being a little quiet on the G-string past the 7th fret. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Pretty good setup and action, but my teacher had to just tweak the truss rod for a slightly lower action, good stock strings. Everything was the way it should be, typical of Yamaha quality. Knobs work, tuners not too loose or too tight, no scratches, etc. The finish was black so it gets dirty a little easier. But when I got it, there were no painting mistakes, etc. Nut was pretty good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass can withstand Live playing, and doesn't seem to have any signs of breaking, etc. I've already played this for around 1 year and it is still doing it's job. In that time I've used on many occasions playing at church events. It's just a really solid beginner bass. I use this for Live playing but have a backup only for different tunings (again another Yamaha). // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Brit Indie, classic rock, post/punk, and Christian, and this bass is versatile for anything I throw at it. I've only been playing around a year, and own an electric guitar. I'd only wish that I would have went to Long and Mcquade's music before going to the place I went to, only because it's cheaper there, but this bass really meets my needs for a solid bass. If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, but only because I find it dull buying the same thing twice, and also my skill level would have increased since I bought this Yamaha. Overall, I love this bass to death, it's reliable and durable, and pretty good sounding. I don't really have anything against this instrument. I can't really complain because this bass was only $200! // 9

RBX270J Reviewed by: toyboxmonster, on april 17, 2009

Features: The rbx 270 J is a solid-body bass guitar made in Japan sometime in the 00's. It has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard. The bolt-on neck is maple, the body is visibly made of four planks of maple, and the finish is transparent. The body has an more aggressive, angular shape than a Fender Precision or Jazz bass, with a top "horn" that protrudes radically from the body. This bass features three controls (volume, tone, blend)and two passive pickups (one split Precision pickup at the neck and one Jazz pickup at the bridge). For a cheapie, it is a fairly versatile bass, offering more options than a standard Squier or Epiphone model. Individual pickup volumes may have made for a more versatile design. // 9

Sound: Having both Precision-style and Jazz-style pickups, the rbx 270j is capable of a fair range of sounds, from the thinner, plunky tones of jazz and funk to the bassier rumble suited for rock. The sound of this bass does vary considerably from one amplifier to the next, so trying it out with your own amp is absolutely necessary. This bass doesn't have quite as much low end as I would like, and through some amps, this becomes much more pronounced, leaving the bass incapable of producing any thing but a thin plucky sound. I've played it with a number of effects, including a Boss PS-5 Super Pitch Shifter, an MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz, an Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazari, and a DigiTech Digiverb. The bass reacted well to these, sounding particularly full and lush with the Memory Ma and the Digiverb. It sounds best out of the Yorkville Bass Master 200T I currently use; the amp makes up for the bass's lack of low end and gives it all of the bassy rumble it needs. For a budget or beginner's bass, this is quite versatile. As far as tone goes, though, it may not be the best. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It's made in Japan, so craftsmanship isn't really much of an issue. Like the majority of Yamaha's musical gear, the rbx 270 is set up perfectly. The tuning machines are firmly in place, as are the strap buttons and all three volume/tone knobs. The frets are honestly some of the smoothest I've seen in this price range. All in all, a solid, well-built bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This bass has never gigged yet. Undoubtedly, it would do fine in a gigging situation, but I must admit that it does feel a little fragile. The body is extremely light and the neck bows at an alarming rate (a couple of months into owning this bass, it already had a very visible curve in the neck) and results in tinny clanging of the strings. The controls are plastic and feel less than reliable. As far as durability goes, this is far from being the best bass out there. // 5

Overall Impression: I play primarily ambient music, though I do enjoy toying with rock basslines once in a while. This bass doesn't quite have the low end I need for those droning ambient tones. I've seen many people recommend this to beginners or as a budget bass, but to tel you the truth, this is such a tinny sounding and completely unreliable bass that it will almost certainly be a disposable purchase that will last very little more than a year at best. I suggest either going for something a little more durable in the same price range, or else saving up a little for something more expensive. I'm not as dissatisfied with this bass as it might sound; it's alright and has served me well in the last year, but I do wish I had just waited a little and bought something more useful like the Jazz bass I'm now thinking of getting. Compared to Squiers and Epiphones, it may be a little versatile, but though it can produce a range of sounds, none of them are quite as full or as unique as the ones that could be obtained from certain Squier or Epiphone models. If I could go back and simply get a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass or something similar, I definitely would. // 7

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014