RBX270L Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 04/09/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Yamaha: RBX270L
Even though it does not match perfectly with all of my genres, so does all the other basses. There is no one and only go-to bass guitar for all genres. I bought it because it was the only left-handed bass I found in the price range I had set for me at the moment, so it basically chose me.
 8.6
 9.2
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
RBX270L Reviewed by: mcdjole, on april 09, 2014

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: Used

Features: I bought it used from some guy, it was barely used. It was made in Taiwan. It has 24 frets, just like any other RBX model, long scale (32''), body is Alder, neck is maple and fretboard is rosewood, so pretty standard stuff... It has a black finish, very solid job done on it. It is a passive bass, with 2 pickups: P-style in the middle and J-style in bridge position. There are 3 controls: volume, tone and balance for pickups. I think the tuners are diecast, but am not so sure... It keeps the tuning surprisingly well, considering I tune it about once-twice a week. For the price paid, I consider this a great option for beginners. A solid 9 for features. // 9

Sound: I play blues, funk, some standard rock stuff and soul. It does not give me much trouble, but the sound it gives off is not exactly what I had in mind. Well, that is just genre-related, not Yamaha's fault. It is great for rock music, though. A J-style pickup is very, very dry, but it suits me for some older blues stuff. I am currently using it with my semi-practice amp with a line-out to the mixer, and it works very well. It is Laney BC 30. Considering the price, I'll give it's sound a nice, round 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very low, but I guess they did it that way to attract younger bassists:) I had it set-up professionally to get higher action, to lose that ringing sound it gives off when it is very low. On low action, I must say, the stings constantly touch the frets, but maybe it was just because the guy who owned it before me had set it up all wrong. Pick-ups are adjusted very well, had no problems so far. It had nothing to go against it when I bought it, very well made bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use it as my main and only bass, since I am a poor musician :) But I had no problems using it in clubs and pubs. It is very well made bass, I dropped it a couple of times because I'm sloppy and nothing broke off. I just had one tiny accident, where my G string tuner was damaged, but it still holds well to this day. I never replaced it, just applied some duct-tape to stop the ringing of metal and it just works. I can depend on it and it served me well so far. Don't know if it is emotional attachment, but as far as reliability is concerned, I will give it a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: Even though it does not match perfectly with all of my genres, so does all the other basses. There is no one and only go-to bass guitar for all genres. Also consider it was 300 USD new when it came out, so, for the money, it is great. I might get something more pro-level, but this bass stays with me. I would sell my kidney to get another if stolen :) Joking aside, I love that the neck is very thin at the top, very fast action neck. I have small fingers, so I wish it had a bit shorter scale, but I got used to it as time went on. I bought it because it was the only left-handed bass I found in the price range I had set for me at the moment, so it basically chose me. // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014