RBX374 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 07/30/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Yamaha: RBX374
The ergonomic body design and smooth tapered feel of the bolt-on necks are identifying qualities of RBX basses.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 8.8
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (8) pictures (4) 31 comments vote for this gear:
RBX374 Reviewed by: Amer91, on august 03, 2010

Features: The RBX374 has an alder body, a bolt-on maple neck with a 10-inch radius and a rosewood fretboard and 24 frets, and 34-inch scale length. It has 2 Yamaha humbuckers, and active electronics which operate on a 9-volt battery and consist of controls for the master volume, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut, and a pan-pot pickup selector. Last but not least it has a 3D headstock design which adds a nice touch to the bass's aesthetics. // 7

Sound: Surprisingly, this bass sounds good for almost any style. The pickups are completely noiseless while playing, and they have a very full and heavy tone. By lowering the bass from the on-board equalizer you can get a sharp sound for slapping and popping, which also works great for soloing on the higher frets. By lowering the treble, the bass sounds dark and smooth, which is great for mellow music and jazz. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass feels is comfortable to play. However at first the action was a bit high on it, which made slapping a bit stressful, but that was taken care of easily by lowering it so it's not really a problem. The neck has a black matte finish which looks great and feels smooth. However, it's a bit large since it has a 10 inch radius, so that might a be an issue for some players. Another thing is that access to the higher frets is a bit limited; the highest fret that could be reached comfortably is the 22nd but this isn't that big of a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The RBX374 can handle abuse pretty well, and the finish can withstand some beating before it begins to wear out. The battery runs out quickly on this bass so it would be better to carry an extra battery when having a long jam session or playing live just in case. The hardware is firm and hasn't shown any sign of rust, and the tuners provide great stability. // 9

Overall Impression: To sum it all up, this bass is can cover anything for the reggae to metal, and will generally provide the tone and feel required for all styles. It's definitely a catch. I love the sound and the versatility it has, but I would've preferred a thinner neck. // 8

RBX374 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 03, 2006

Features: It was made in 2004. Japan/China. It's got 24 jumbo frets and I think its 34" scale. It's got a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, the body is probably ash I'm not really that sure. Silver metallic finish although mines pretty battered up. Standard bulkier than Fender bridge. It's got active electronics (9V), with a 2-band EQ (bass, treble) and volume and pickup sweep selector. The pickups are Yamaha humbuckers (bridge & neck) very-high output. The tuners are just standard sealed Yamaha ones. // 10

Sound: It suits any style and is especially good for rock/metal. I use it with a Behringer BX4500T 450watt head and a 4x10" aluminium coned cab. It has a great sound for any style and is great for some funk style stuff. You don't get any feedback at all even though the pickups are louder than any other bass that I've ever played! It's best not to put the bass and treble up on full as you get distortion through very cheap amps (although not mine), just keep them in mid-position and turn up the amp! Wide variety of sounds can be created from Jaco to Pantera. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action came fine out of the factory, although I have changed it many times when I change strings etc. The pickups were fine too and there were no flaws at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar had stood many live gigs. Just the paint come off pretty easy, but that's my fault anyway. The hardware looks like it will last forever and still sounds great after nearly 2 years. I don't have a backup guitar at all and don't need one, just spare batteries because it's active. The finish comes off easily but that doesn't make a differnce to how it sounds. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock and metal and this guitar is a good match for it. I also play other styles, funk, jazz too and it suits them well too. If it was stolen I would try some other basses since I have had more experience now and would prefer a professional bass like a Fender Jazz, Precision. This does sound pro though. I love the fact you can get it to sound like the bass you could never get or your own custom bass. The action is great and it stays in tune all the time. // 10

RBX374 Reviewed by: snakeyes9510, on may 11, 2006

Features: Made in 2004. 24 frets, 34' scale, rosewood fretboard and painted maple neck. Alder body with 2 active Yamaha electronic humbucker pickups. Volume, treble, bass, and pan-pot knobs. All black hardware which really brings out the bass. 3D heastock too which is very nice. // 8

Sound: Very warm sound to this bass. Can be very clean and sharp or lots of bass and very moving. Suits almost any type of music. Sounds really good with some of the effects through my Yamaha Magicstomp EB. Pickups hum a little bit when turned up fully, and if you tap on the body of the bass, the pickups pick up the sound. When battery starts to die, you knotice a unclear sound from the pickups, and it means to change it ASAP. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Very good set-up. No factory defaults. Pickups could have been raised a little bit more but that only took to minutes to adjust myself. The finish on the body is very eye-catchy, with a nice solid color to it. The back of the neck is painted black, with a very thin coat and it is easy to chip. Be very carefuul with the neck because it is one of the most addorable things about this bass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass will last all night, with a new battery. This bass eats batterys and is known to do so. Allways carry an extra 9V battery in your case just incase it does decide to die on you. The hardware is very tightly and firmly fit and so are the strap buttons. I would use it without a backup bass, not a backup battery though. The finish will last forever, there is no flaws or even surface scratches on my body and I've had it for 1 year. But the neck is a different story. // 6

Overall Impression: This bass can adapt to any type of music with a few adjustments to the knobs. This bass is definatly worth the extra batteries over a Yamaha RBX170 because the pickups are so much better. I wish I would have asked about the average battery life of this bass because if you play atleast once a day for 1 hour or more. You will probably find yourself buying a new battery every 1-2 weeks. The finish is great and will last forever. Great bass overall but if I had my money back and knew about the battery problem. I would have spent it else where. // 7

RBX374 Reviewed by: weeblrock, on january 08, 2007

Features: I have no idea when or where this was made, sorry. It has a 34" maple neck and a 24 fret, rosewood fingerboard which is useful for soloing. It has a solid alder body and black finish but you can also get it in flat silver and red. It has an unusual body shape but feels great to play. Controls include master volume, pan-pot pickup selector and a 2-band EQ. it has active electronics which runs on a 9v battery. This bass has really good natural sounding humbucking pickups. the only negatives I could find were that it needs tuning quite often and eats up 9v batteries in no time. Overall though amazing value and great features // 9

Sound: This bass is incredibly playable for any style. I mainly play funk, slap and rock (e.g. Red Hot Chili Peppers, guns n roses and primus) but when I was first introduced to this bass by my bass teacher he showed me how versatile it was. The 24 fret neck really compliments the basses' versatility; it means you can play a great range of tones in virtually every style. I play this through a Roland Bass-Cube 30 which has onboard effects and compression. This bass can be noisy if you hit the top of a fret but that is only a very minor thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass has quite a good factory setup but for people Who play a lot of slap bass, the pickups are a bit raised but that can easily be adjusted. When I first got this bass (at Christmas 2006) the treble control put up a bit of a fight but as I used more the controls do not give as much as hassle as before. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played Live at all but I'd say this could withstand a Live gig but a would definitely recommend you bring another bass with you as backup. As with most Yamaha's you get the impression that the hardware will outlive you. I'm a bit clumsy so I always hit the bass against something when I pick it up but it hasn't shown up on the woodwork or even scraped the finish off a bit and it certainly has effected the sound or hardware. The strap buttons are a problem though, my strap falls off very frequently. // 9

Overall Impression: The style I play goes perfectly with this bass as would any other style with the possible exception of death metal. I haven't been playing bass for that long about 3 months now so I don't have much to compare it to except the Squier Jazz Bass and the Ibanez SR300FM which it easily beat. If it were stolen I would definitely get another one. The only thing I could want more is better strap buttons. But if you're looking for a bass of amazing value and great quality consider this bass. // 9

RBX374 Reviewed by: PRSfanatic, on january 20, 2010

Price paid: € 360

Purchased from: Ragtime Poland

Features: Made in China, 2008. 34 inch Scale, maple bolt-on neck with a rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets. Sparkling DOG (Dark oriental green) Finish, looks really great, took it over a red one, I think the top is Solid. It's an original body style, but it's very comfortable finish. 4 Control knobs (Volume, Bass boost/cut, Pickup Blend, Treble boost/cut). Active Yamaha Electronics, very good pickups. The pickups are shaped so that they have a thumb rest, which is a really nice feature when you're playing for a long time, especially I'd expect slap players to love this feature. Two Humbuckers. Yamaha tuners. They stay in tune, you can play it every day for two hours, and they won't go out of tune for a very long time, honestly they keep in tune for weeks. No included accesories, only the keys and the instructions. // 10

Sound: Since I'm mostly a guitar player, I play through a guitar amp, a Roland Cube 60. I often change my style, because I'm just a bedroom player, but this bass suits me well. One day I want to play some Hendrix basslines, the next day I want to be Steve Harris. I Jam most of the time, but whatever I feel like playing, I can always find a good sound from this beauty. On fresh strings it sounds amazing. No noise/hum. Very good bass for someone that needs to change their sound often and doesn't want to drag 10 guitars to a gig. You can get any tone, even a very convincing jazz bass sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great set up with good strings straight from the box. Well done, Yamaha, I'm convinced. Everything was set up great, for standard .45 - .100 roundwound strings. Later I put .55 - .110 strings on it, and had to adjust the neck a little bit, but that's obviously not the guitar's fault. Absolutely no Flaws, and it's just perfect to play. Love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand anything, really. Unfortunately, the hardware really wears off from sweat, but that's just a cosmetic thing, no effect on playability. I'd use it on a gig without a backup, battery lasts very long also. Solid Strap Buttons, nothing is loose, however I do need to get straplocks for this beauty, as straps tend to fall off. It is very VERY light, I don't feel it hanging from my shoulder, unlike other guitars I own. Finish is very solid, but if you scratch it or bump it hard it will leave a scar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play from blues to hard rock, and very rarely old style metal. It's great. I don't think I'll ever need a better bass. I've been playing bass for 1, 5 years now, but I've played guitar for 4 years before that, I also own an Epiphone embassy V, which I bought after the Yamaha, wanting a 5-string, but it just sits in the corner, since it's just an ugly block of heavy wood compared to my RBX374. If it was stolen/lost I'd cry for months until I could buy a new one. Definitely an instrument that's impossible to replace, you just don't get this value with other companies. I compared it to a lot of other 2 humbucker basses, and this one just beat them all, even ones that cost twice as much. I have compared it to a MIJ Fender Jazz Bass, and this one is better for me. // 10

RBX374 Reviewed by: bevski208, on may 11, 2011

Purchased from: Gear4Music.com

Features: Bolt-on construction, 34" scale, maple neck, 10" rosewood fretboard. 24 frets. Die-cast bridge and 2 humbucker pickups powered by a 9V battery. 2-band EQ and Pan-Pot. Made in China. Good quality for the price paid in early 2010. For a bass this cheap, it does come with a lot of good features. // 9

Sound: The bass is extremely versatile, and feels comfortable playing anything from Jamiroquai to Pantera. I use a Marshall MB30, and it makes a great sound, although I do get some buzz at relatively low levels (although that might well be my leads). You can shape the sound easily, either by using the pot-pan or the EQ, and you can produce a great range of sound. Some buzz from the frets if you play too hard, but that may be to do with the action. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was too low for my liking, but I prefer to have a higher action, and is easy to change. I've made no changes to the pickups, but everything was in perfect working order right from it's arrival. No noticeable errors in production when it arrived, although since then the external hardware has oxidised noticeably: not great for a year's playing. The attachment of the neck isn't great either, it looks awkward and slightly askew. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems like it will last for a long time (although my only real comparison is a 2004 Squier P-Bass, which is frankly junk), but I'm not sure I'd use it at a gig without backup: the strap buttons are not fantastic (the strap does often come off while I'm playing), and my playing might well mean broken strings during a gig. The paintwork is also quite thin and easy to dent and scratch, even with a pick. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles, and it generally suits them well (although I have no other bass to compare it to). I've been playing self-taught, and have recently moved on to Dream Theater stuff, and that makes me wish I'd opted for the RBX375 (5-String) instead; at only 20-30 more than the RBX374, I'd go for that instead of this. If it were stolen, I'd definitely try another bass; this one is getting worn down, and I've looking at a Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 for a long time now... // 7

RBX374 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2011

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: This bass is a China 2003 model, looking from the serial number. It's got 24 frets, of which all are usable, due to the huge cutaway. The body is quite a heavy alder, and the neck is maple, with a smooth rosewood fretboard, which is a treat to play on. The finish a deep red, and this whole bass seems to be Yamaha's take on the MusicMan stingray. The pickups are Yamaha active pickups with a thumbrest which is really comfortable to play on. The preamp is active, and you can get any array of sounds from it, from a P-Bass to a jazz bass. You get a Pickup control, blending the two together, a bass boost/cut and a treble boost/cut, as well as master volume. All of the controls have a nice defined indent when they hit the middle. This bass stays in tune forever. // 9

Sound: You can just get any sound out of this. It's great for slap and pop, and really great for fingering, with the thumbrests. I can get from straight down jazz and funk to hardcore metal with this bass, it's so versatile. I use it with an Ashdown Five Fifteen, which gives it a really warm sound, and for distortion I use a Boss OS/2. Completely silent bass even when turned up all the way. Get a decent set of strings on this bass and it will sing your basslines loud and clear. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws with the action and finish, haven't had to change it, although I had to lower the pickups which actually prove difficult, as I was hitting the open pickup poles when I slapped. Apart from this, all of the hardware seems great. The neck is just one of the best I have played on, the smooth black finish on the back, it's really nice. The neck is quite large at 10", but it's very playable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Battery doesn't go too often, it seems to be great for live playing with its' huge sound, and it can withstand a few knocks before the paint comes off. Depend on it for sure, just not without a battery. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great bass. One of the best I have played. Only flaws is that the pickups could be easier to adjust, and that the neck could be slightly thinner, but this doesn't bother me. // 10

RBX374 Reviewed by: adamup27, on july 30, 2012

Features: Made in China, made 2009, solid top, rosewood neck, no finish, sort of a Strat style body with extended top arm, fixed bridge, active humbucking pickups, 4 controls - One mast. volume, one mast. tone one blend and one bass, two Yamaha humbucking pickups, non-locking tuners aka Standard. // 8

Sound: My style is Blues, Jazz, Rock, Punk, Ska, and light Metal. This works for all of it. You have to know what each control does to it max before hand, otherwise you think it sounds like crap. However it is active so it peaks out amps easily. The 24 fret board really makes harmonics, higher sounds, and complete octave much easier. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My action was actually a little low (believe it or not) and that was fixed at GC for free. The slap on it is really good when action is a bit higher that manufacturers make. There were no major problems on the bass (action was it). No other adjustments were made. Later I strung it up with flat wound string to make it easier to slide. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had it two years and it holds up well. Other than a couple nicks on the back of the neck (my fault not the companies) it has held up really well. It uses a 9v battery that dies every other month or so if used daily. Strap buttons are standard. Harware other than some tarnishing is holding up well. // 9

Overall Impression: This is perfect for someone who is exploring bass, or who wants to play all styles. I have been playing for 6 years. I also own a Squier Affinity V (with EMG pickups) and an acoustic Ibanez bass. I wished I had asked with was volue (took me a while to figure it out). Compared to my first bass (Squier Jazz Bass, starter pack) it is fantastic and has amazing range. I wish it had come in a different color but I can always paint. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ DDS-20M Digital Delay Sampler 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/21/2014