RBX775 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 07/07/2009 category: Bass Guitars
Yamaha: RBX775
It has 24 frets with a 35" scale maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, dual Yamaha humbuckers. The controls include volume, tone, pickup selector, and boost switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 7.5
 8.4
 6.5
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
RBX775 Reviewed by: pbzep0670, on june 29, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I don't know when or where it was made, but since it's a Yamaha, I assumed overseas. It has 24 frets with a 35" scale maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. The controls include volume, tone, pickup selector, and boost switch. It has dual Yamaha humbuckers. The body is alder. The finish options are flat blue, flat silver, and black. I wanted black, but it seems to have been discontinued. I got blue. The bridge is die-cast. It has a separate one for each string, which is pretty nice. No string to string vibration. The hardware is black. The tuners are non-locking, but they work well. It came with a cable and two allen wrenches. One fits the truss rod and the other fits the bridge saddles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good. I only needed to do minor adjustments to the saddles. It was out of tune, but thats standard when you get it through ups. No flaws or anything, it was in great condition when I opened it up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't done any gigging, but I think I'd be able to rely on this bass. The hardware will last a while and the finish is going to stay. The strap buttons are extremely solid. They're pretty big too, so strap locks aren't necessary even though they always help. It's a tank so I'd rely on it. I'd have a backup fpr live playing, but I would have one no matter what bass I was using. I don't think you'll need one though. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play mostly rock and punk, so this bass is great for that. I also said I'm drifting into funk. Every bassist should play some funk. You can slap on this bass, but don't buy it for that. Get a Stingray for slap. If it were stolen, I'd probably get another one as long as it was still on sale. The main reason I got it was that it was a decent 5-string under $500-$600. It was either this or an Epiphone Flying V. I went with this one. After playing this one, I'm going to get another 4-string next. That's just because I'm more comfortable with 4 strings, not because this bass isn't good. I wish it had some kind of active EQ, but thats not necessary. If you're on a budget and want a 5-string, look into this bass. // 8

RBX775 Reviewed by: corrda00, on july 07, 2009

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: I got the fretless version of this bass and it had some pretty good features. It has 24 not-frets (cause its fretless). It was 35" scale maple neck with rosewood fingerboard with fret markers. The body wood is alder. The finish was a transparent I believe and the body style is modern rock. The bridge style is a diecast bridge, and the hardware on mine is black. The pickups are active but with an active passive Switch. The other electronics and controls are a Volume, Tone, and pickup Switch, which is something I've wanted for a while. The pickups are Neck and Bridge and are both Yamaha. The tuners are grover. // 10

Sound: This bass suits both my styles of Jazz and Metal. I can play smooth melodies or pump out aggressive trebbly tones from it. This bass was my first fretless and it plays pretty nice. It has that growly tone you look for in a fretless but can also get that finger attack of a fretted too. The settings on it are easy to change on the fly too, with a pickup and active/ passive switch. So you can change tones between solos and riffs ect. I am playing it through a Line 6 Low Down, 300 watt. So it gets pretty loud. I have 4 chanels, a Agressive treble one for metal, a bassy one also for metal, a distortion channel and a Jazzy Jaco channel. It sounds pretty good on all of them, except on the Treble channel it gets kinda gainy on the bridge pickup. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Bass was not very well set up at first. Even though it was fretless I still got, lets call it fretboard buzz at the lower frets. It was easy to raise the action though. The pickups were all wired right and perfect distance away from the strings. The bass did have a few problems, since it is used. There were string marks on the fretboard in places and a dent on the back. The pickup Switch wasn't screwed on all the way. Stuff like that. Other than that pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This Bass seems pretty durable as far as frame and structure. I'm sure it could withstand a lot. However the hardware doesn't seem the same. The pickup Switch was a loose when I got it and I tried tightening it but its still kinda wobbly. The strap has come off a few times but that might be the strap, I'm not sure. Also it screeches some times because of the input jack. // 7

Overall Impression: For Jazz and for Metal, this bass rocks. It can play those jazzy Jaco type lines and still be able to pound out agressive raw tones or a DiGiorgio type tone for Death Metal stuff. I've been playing for about 3 years now and I also own a ESP F-254 and a Line 6 300 watt amp. I also own a crappy no name guitar and a piano and flute. I love most of all the fact that its fretless and 5 string. Those are 2 things I've wanted for a while and I never thought I'd get both in one. Also the pickup switch was an added bonus. The only thing I don't like is the electronics, they're kinda unstable at times. I compared this to some of the other basses there: There was some low end ESPs an Ibenez and a Schecter that I was looking at. This one was the best price and it was fretless so that's the main reason I chose this one. This bass pretty much has everything I could ask for other than some laser pointers and maybe a DVD Drive. But keeping It realistic I would like to have a EQ on it for more tone shaping, but it already has quite a bit. If I ever lost this bass I'm not sure if I'd get the same one at full price. There's a good chance I would but I might experiment a bit too. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014