Alex James - Bit Of A Blur Review

Richness of Content: 9
 Style: 7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this book:
Alex James - Bit Of A Blur Reviewed by: leej11, on april 09, 2009

Richness of Content: The autobiography of Alex James' life and experiences I feel are phenomenal. This is the first book I've read in 2 years so it must be good for me to read it. He takes us through his life, from young living in Bournemouth and listening to records with school friends. Joining University, joining the band later to be known as Blur! Entering the life of a rock star, the drugs, the sex, just the pure good times. And of course he takes us into his shaky relationships with women. No Doubt about it Alex James has lived a very fulfilled life for now, a great book to read if your into music. // 9

Style: There is no doubt that this book is one to read, but when asked the question "describe the writing style", it's a slightly hard one to tackle. Definitely it's a nice flowing easy to read book, Alex does not fall in the trap of babbling on about things we really have no interest in. I must admit at some points when I would reach a new subchapter like "Grand Prix", a chapter about him going to the grand prix funnily enough, I put the book down for then. (only to stop reading that time not literally stop reading the whole book if you get me.) This happened on a few occassions but still I read them, sometimes they turned out to be interesting so it may be just me opinion of the grand prix and that I find it boring. I wouldn't say it's the most well written book in terms of structure, style etc. But still the book isn't all about that... it's about his life. // 7

Overall Impression: If your of any age and are into music I'm sure you'd love to read this book. Actually thinking about it I think it appeals more to the young side, as the events that happen may be judged "stupid" by some elder people. (Not being age-ist just that's what I think). It's not only music that this book is targeted, or about. From Science with Beagle 1, Debate at Oxford Union? I think the reason I like this book a lot is the attitude Alex James shows he has throughout life. To Live life to the full, just have a good time and not worry about the consequences, after all he is a rock star? That's what they do! Amazing. // 8

Comments