Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir Review

artist: Dave Mustaine date: 07/25/2011 category: books
Dave Mustaine: Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir
The book does seem to tell all of the important stuff of Dave's personal life. BUT it didn't talk a lot about the actual Megadeth music. Well I love the book, I did learn some stuff from it that I didn't know.
 Richness of Content: 8
 Style: 7
 8.9
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this book:
Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir Reviewed by: Megadethfan245, on july 25, 2011

Richness of Content: Well anybody who doesn't know I'll give you a little mini biography on Dave Mustaine. First real lead guitarist of Metallica, wrote a few songs on "Kill 'Em All", got kicked out of Metallica about a few weeks before they were going to record the album. Dave was mad and he vowed to make a band "heavier, faster and better" than Metallica. He found the bassist and co-founder of Megadeth by accident. A kid below Dave was playing the bass and Dave threw a flower pot through the floor. The kid who was playing bass came up to Dave and instead of being mad said "Are you old enough to buy beer?" That moment is when Megadeth began basically, the kid was David Ellefson (Junior), only a few years younger than Mustaine. They got a drummer and guitarist and the rest is basically non-important of how Megadeth began. Well the book has a lot of random things that I'm sure a lot of people didn't know. But at the same time there was a lot of things that I already knew, so it wasn't like it was "OH MY GOD REALLY?!?!?" is it was more like "Oh cool, makes sense" kinda thing when I read it. But I mean I obviously liked the book or else I wouldn't have read it because in the past year I've only read about 5 full length books and about 3 of them I had to for school. Anyway in the book it seems like they skip a lot. I mean we're talking about Mr. Mustaine here! The man who basically invented thrash metal, I feel like the book should've been a lot longer. Added more things that may not have been completely important but still interesting to know. // 8

Style: I have no idea what writing style really is so this will probably make no sense! The book is pretty structured I guess and runs smoothly. The book does seem to tell all of the important stuff of Dave's personal life. BUT it didn't talk a lot about the actual Megadeth music. So I do feel like it did skip a lot when it came to the actual music part of his life. It was more like his personal relationships and drug problems. I wish it would've included more about the music because Dave is probably one of the most important people in metal music and I would've loved to know how he wrote some stuff or what was going through his mind. This was probably all wrong for writing style, but who cares. // 7

Overall Impression: Well I love the book, I did learn some stuff from it that I didn't know. But I wish that I could've learned more. It feels like there was a big empty space sometimes of what happened. I wish there would've been a lot more about Megadeth. I do hope that one day there is another Dave Mustaine autobiography or biography so I could learn more about the actual music. But all in all in it is a brilliant book and I'd recommend it to anybody out there who is a fan of metal. Also if you're one of those Metallica fan boys who always says that Megadeth sucks well read the book and check out the music and give them a chance! // 9

Comments