The Sound Of The Beast: The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal Review

artist: Ian Christe date: 11/03/2013 category: books
Ian Christe: The Sound Of The Beast: The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal
Ian Christe wrote a really good book. Like I said, I'm not what anyone would call a "metalhead," but I enjoyed it and it gave me a whole new level of respect for heavy metal and the musicians who play it.
 Richness of Content: 10
 Style: 10
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this book:
The Sound Of The Beast: The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on november 03, 2013

Richness of Content: "The Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal" chronicles the entirety of Metal-related anything, from 1970 up to 2002. When it says "complete" it means all the stuff you could ever want to know. There's mainstream Metal, underground Metal, propaganda against Metal, Glam Metal, proto-Metal and so on and so forth. Now, I am not a quote-unquote "Metalhead," but there's enough information in this book to interest just about anybody with a moderate interest in musical history. I do however, await an updated version because, let's face it: A lot of important events have happened since 2002. // 10

Style: The way this book was written, it's something between a collection of interviews and your standard history-textbook style. If you can picture the stuff you read in high school, then mentally change it to the history of Heavy Metal, that's what I mean. Although there's a lot of worthy knowledge, I found myself sometimes having to reread a few lines, just to be sure I was reading them right. There's also a timeline chart and lists of the best albums of each time period, though the lists are scattered throughout the book, usually at the end of each section. At the end of the entire book there are some obituaries, as well as some more humorous lists, like the weakest power ballads that try to be true Metal. // 10

Overall Impression: Ian Christe wrote a really good book. Like I said, I'm not what anyone would call a "Metalhead," but I enjoyed it and it gave me a whole new level of respect for Heavy Metal and the musicians who play Heavy Metal. Heck, if you just read the parts dealing with the "anti-Metal" movements, it's impressive that any remotely Metal-type bands have managed to still exist. If you like Metal and you like to read, "The Sound of the Beast" is at least worth a look. You may not enjoy the strange mixture of writing styles, but you will probably learn one or two things that you can use the next time you and all of your friends play a Heavy Metal trivia game. // 10

Comments