My Appetite For Destruction: Sex, And Drugs, And Guns N' Roses Review

artist: Steven Adler date: 05/26/2011 category: books
Steven Adler: My Appetite For Destruction: Sex, And Drugs, And Guns N' Roses
This book is a great second look to alot of the nasty rumors that are floating around about Steven Adler.
 Richness of Content: 9
 Style: 8
 4.2
 8.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this book:
My Appetite For Destruction: Sex, And Drugs, And Guns N' Roses Reviewed by: downthebarrel, on march 01, 2011

Richness of Content: Whether you Watched the VH1 Behind the music of Guns N' Roses or read other GNR Books, or even heard stories from your friends, The story of these guys is always an epic tale of rags to riches, drug abuse to Sobriety, and Even Brotherhood to betrayal.. This Book is no different except this time its through the eyes of the original drummer Steven Adler. This book is all Adler's recollection of his life from his child hood hanging out with his best friend Slash all the way through to him getting kicked out of the world most dangerous band, Botched suicide attempts, and his road to recovery on Celebrity Rehab with plenty of juicy stories in between to keep you coming back for more. // 9

Style: This book is written in the first person but it kind of gives you a feel as if you're sitting in a room with Steven listening to him reminisce his childhood and his climb to the top of the Rock n Roll World and the emotional fall from the top of the world and betrayal of his Best Friends. // 9

Overall Impression: This book is a Great second look to alot of the nasty rumors that are floating around about Steven Adler. Alot of heartbreaking Moments in this mans life and through most of it he kept his smile, but some of the stories he tells you kind of leave you wanting more, in the end a very impressive tale that leaves you with a Wow look on your face and an urge to find some of GNR's older live performances. // 8

My Appetite For Destruction: Sex, And Drugs, And Guns N' Roses Reviewed by: pepsilawson, on may 26, 2011

Richness of Content: Steven Adlers book My Appetite For Destruction, Is a haunting book that follows the amazing highs and amazing lows of the former Guns N Roses drummer. It charts him from a young age, to joining GNR, to his departure and his now touring with Adlers Appetite. Along with of course his known drug problems. What I was expecting was a all out attack on his former band mates, littered with excuses for why he is how he is. That was not what I got, what I got was a harrowing recount of his experiences and encounter with drugs, at no point does he blame anyone but himself. Which is a refreshing experience for the reader as we have all heard rumors of how he was treated but now you get unseen before glimpses of Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy and how they helped build his life, and how drugs destroyed it. // 9

Style: Adlers style of writing is that of a very dark, very fragile man. Well more of a fragile boy. You can sense real pain in the pages, and I'll be honest it was hard to read at times due to how open and heartbreaking it is to read a once happy, bubbly eccentric man become such a shell of his former self. At time's I wanted to put the book down as It was extremly depressing to read, but I am glad I didn't as it was well worth it in the end. But anyone who knows of Steven before reading will know it's not exactly a happy story. // 7

Overall Impression: In conclusion I enjoyed the read. It was hard at times, a lot of times But it was still great to see things from the "quiet" member who has been dragged through the dirt so much in the past. However this is not a book you can read sitting on a beach or on a train, I think this book is very capable of depressing and causing heartbreak in its reader, now this is great in that it brings out emotion but you really need to be in the right state of mind when getting to the gritty parts of it. I had to take a lot of breaks to help get myself through it. But when you come out the other side you will agree it was well worth it and I would suggest it to every adult GNR fan. // 8

Comments