The Autumn Effect Review

10 years: The Autumn Effect
Release Date: Aug 16, 2005
Label: Universal
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
The Autumn Effect could really use more of that adventurism, more ideas that challenge the alt metal/post-grunge status quo instead of fitting so ably within it.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.7
 8.4
 8.9
The Autumn Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2005

Sound: Warning: it's nu-metal. But don't write 10 Years off just for that. Take a second and read this. Of all 'lesser-known' nu-metal bands these guys have the tools to take it to the next level. 'The Autumn Effect' has a very atmospheric sound. The band doesn't go out and blow your ears out like Slipknot or Korn (and I like both bands, espec. Slipknot). They do however take pride in playing with precision. 10 years blends 2 guitars together in perfect harmony throughout the CD. And they aren't overly distorted because you can actually hear the tones of the guitars shining thru. So it's a nice change of pace from the rest of the pack. Again precision. This time it's the drums. They really offset the music with different beats so you don't get bored out of your skull listening to the same thing over and over. The bass lines go great and fit in seemlessly. // 10

Lyrics: Here's where 10 Years could make a name for itself. Vocals! The frontman has an excellent voice. In some verses he's at a low tone very similiar to Maynard James Keenan from Tool/A Perfect Circle. Then when the chorus/prechorus/bridge/whatever hits, he sounds like Doug Robb from Hoobastank (in my book a good thing, both have excellent voices). The lyrics, well I've never been good at reading into lyrics so I'll just say how he sings is better than what he sings. His vocals hold quality out of the studio as well, which is something not everyone can say about their favorite band. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the better albums of the year. It's a very nice change of pace from all of the emo/screamo/annoyingly poppish alt rock that's taking over the air waves. If you want an album you can pop in and relax to without leaving the hard rock/alt-metal genre, this is it! I know the lead singles 'Wasteland' and 'Through The Iris' are awesome songs that deserve more time on the air. I got this CD at Target and it came with a code to get a live acoustic version of 'Through The Iris' free so its a steal with 14 tracks for 8 dollars. They're touring with Smile Empty Soul (another good band) and Breaking Benjamin (great band) so if you can, check them out live. If lost/stolen, I'd get another before the price goes up because of them breaking out with a big hit. So get this now! // 10

The Autumn Effect Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 21, 2005

Sound: 10 Years had a lot of buzz about them even before they released an album. Apart from that the band got some solid support -? a deal with Republic/Universal and Josh Abraham (Staind, Velvet Revolver) to produce their debut record. "Autumn Effect," out August 2005, is the band's first effort for major label, in fact they have already released an indie album "Wasteland" before. In "Autumn Effect" bass-driver art hard-rock is created by distortion solid guitars and melodic riffs, making pure and at the same time refined music. All songs are based on frontman/songwriter Jesse Hasek's personal feelings which makes them fall under the emo genre, but, I should give it credit, not a winning one. "Waking Up" gives a very good start to the album and makes it clear, that you're listening to not just another boring and howling alt metal record. Choruses are large and not catchy in general, keeping the album still enjoyable after the fifth listen and make you look deeper, than just easy sing-along -- like very well composed atmospheric instrumentals ("Through The Iris" and the title track), where 10 Years are in their best. But these are not crazy prog rock guitar exercises with lots of distortion and reverb effects: here solos are actually very melodic, keeping it's toughness through at the same time. On the other side all that leaves the band a step behind in achieving popularity as long instrumentals are probably gonna be cut out for radio-friendly versions and absence of obviously catchy melodies make the songs hard to remember. // 8

Lyrics: Probably the best thing about the band, is that they don't cuss in their songs, expressing the feelings by simple worlds, which only makes them stronger. Lyrics are poetic and even thoughtful sometimes, fitting the standard of alt-rock music. Like that line in the title song "Autumn indicated the death of beauty." The songs don't have any screamo, the necessary outfit for bands of their type, but they don't sound any worse because of that. Josh Abraham's Staind-ish influence is most obviously appears in vocals (I know weird, but still). I wish sometimes they were less whining -? like in the beginning of "Cast It Out" -? it sounds like somebody's pulling a soul out from singer's body. Jesse is singing close to the microphone (you can even sometimes hear him opening his mouth) to create an intimate atmosphere, which suits the album's mood perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: The beauty of "The Autumn Effect" would take your whole attention to be revealed, otherwise it would seems just a background noise to you. Most probably it would take a few listens to be appreciated, as everything is very though-out. Like that beautiful artwork of a hummingbird on the CD sleeve -? the musicians say it symbolizes natural and organic vibe, which 10 Years believe their music is. Nothing too bad to say about the CD and nothing too good at the same time. What the record really misses on is a good blow-out hit, something outstanding. All the songs are on the same level of intensity, toughness, earnestness... I wish they could attract more adventure and creativity in all aspects of songwriting and recording. It's a very rare thing a debut album could be good in everything and "Autumn Effect" is tasty enough to promise the band's got potential to take things further. // 8

The Autumn Effect Reviewed by: lespaulmaniac, on december 12, 2005

Sound: First off, I have got to say these guys are one my favorite new bands. And after I got this CD, it did nothing other than just confirm what I thought. This is probably, what I think of as, the best new CD of the year. What really makes them great is their diversity. Some songs can be heavy, and others can be something you can tap your foot to, and I think that's what really makes 10 Years different from every other band. // 9

Lyrics: Absolutely no complaints here. The lyrics are thoughtful, and their singer is amazing. I've seen them live, and they're just as incredible then. The lyrics really compliment the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This has got to be my most treasured CD in my collection to date. They're really all great songs, but a few that really stuck out to me were Half Life, The Recipe, The Autumn Effect, Wasteland, and Through the Iris (my personal favorite). If I was to lose or have this CD stolen, I would no doubt either save up and get another copy, or get a copy from one of my friends. This CD is a must have for everybody into bands like Staind. // 10

The Autumn Effect Reviewed by: breakdancer4jah, on march 01, 2006

Sound: The autumn effect is 10 years first CD. The hit single off this album is wasteland. Wasteland is a very good song. The lyrics come at you fast and are interesting. Musicly the guitarist and bass player both shine. The singer shows some flare. The overall sound is somewhere between Trapt and Papa Roach, more toward trapt. "Seasons To Cycles" is a slow, strings based song that is quite beautiful. Unfortunatly for 10 years, the CD is pretty much downhill from there. The first song has some interesting intro effects, but the rest of the song leaves alot to be desired. The drummer is clearly not up to par with the rest of the band. There are certian parts of songs where you get ready for a killer drum fill and and are instead hit with nothing. The guitarist is good however. He plays very heavy, sometimes overlapping with the bass. By the end of the album, you notice that a lot of songs sound the same. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics in 10 years songs are decent. But they are very hit and miss. Some songs are good, and they leave you thinking about the message he was trying to get across. Other songs make you wonder if he is thinking at all. The lyrics don't flow and many are cheesy. The singer also falls into the trap of his voice following the guitar lines. This can get very very old song after song. The singer has a great voice, but he just can't seem to get it to go along with the music, and when he does, you are left wondering if he really has anything worth talking about. He does have a decent vocal range though, I'll give him that. // 4

Overall Impression: 10 years are new. This is there first album. I think they have great potential. Unfortunatly, this potental is not tapped into very well on this album. The drummer is not good enough, the lyrics are immature, and the guitar and bass seem like one sound. Listening through, you can hear how close they are to sounding good, but they just can't quite nail it. Hopefully the band will improve overtime. I look forward to hearing more of their music, but I doubt I will buy their next CD. I am not really very attached to the Autumn Effect, I could easiy live with out it. I would suggest listening through, and then downloading the few good songs, not buyig the whole CD. If you want this kind of style, you are better off with Trapt. // 4

The Autumn Effect Reviewed by: BrokenWingman, on may 04, 2006

Sound: This is probably one of the most unique albums I've heard in a long time. It has this dark atmosphere about it, yet it still brings so much thought and clarity to the listeners. The members of 10 Years didn't try to sound like everyone else, they seemed to create they're only personal sound, and even though many of the guitar riffs are simplistic they fit their unique style perfect. // 10

Lyrics: Their singer is amazing: such power, such range, such emotion. It blew me away the first time I heard their first single "Wasteland" before they were signed to a major label. So many times I heard vocalists, and lyrics out of "up and coming" bands and just sounded like the same shit over and over. However, with these guys, I was smacked in the face with something completely different. The lyrics are so poetic. And although they seem to be sometimes vauge, they have so much depth to them it's almost unbelievable. Everytime I read their lyrics it's like reading a poetry, many lines and phrases containing 3 or less words. I sometimes find it hard to know what they're saying, but I love that, I love the unknown meaning in the lyrics, it keeps me coming back for more and more, hoping to learn something new. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. It's one of the most unique things I've heard in a long time. It's a great refreshing memory of what it's like to hear something almost completely new and yet still brilliant. I particularly enjoy the songs "Prey", "The Recipe", "Through The Iris", and "Seasons To Cycles". I love I think every track on the album, but these ones I can always listen to, over and over. The guitar progression in the intro and chorus of "Prey" is awesome. "The Recipe" has some of the best vocal delivers on the album. "Through The Iris" has some powerful moments that give me those great chills up and down my spine. Finally "Seasons To Cycles" really shows that the band has multiple dimensions in their music. It's not just rock, or metal, or whatever you want to classify it as, it's music, it's emotion. The only thing I don't like is some of the instrumental stuff. That is my only complaint. Sometimes the instrumental segments dont' really seem to fit, they should just be a whole different song with lyrics. I could be because I listen to instrumental stuff that has lead guitar work over it. However, these instrumentals have a very "pink floyd" feel to them, with the ambient noises, and chord progressions, and other such things. All in all, a phenomal CD. // 9

The Autumn Effect Reviewed by: AmplifySilence, on april 01, 2008

Sound: I would describe the sound as dark, sad, almost mysterious. It is very good, though. The guitars are excellent for setting the mood, although they are simple riffs. A lot of the songs are similar-sounding; however, they don't give a repetitive impression. 10 Years simply has a very different style. I like it (a lot), but I think some people might not. I've heard from some poeple that 10 Years sound a lot like Tool. I don't agree with this, I can see where they get the idea, but I definateky see the differences. I only mention it in case you have no idea what they sound like; well, now you do. Anyway, 10 Years has a very distinct sound. Also, they are very melodic. As for vocals, the singer has an amazing voice. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. The music overall is one you just have to listen to. Some songs can rock (not too hard, though), some can move you with their melody. But, with this album, you just have to listen to it. Listen closely. And, still, some might not like it. Some might not understand the music. But I definately liked it. // 8

Lyrics: Oh, wow. The only thing I could think of that is bad about the lyrics is that they are vague at times. Sometimes it is hard to grasp their full meaning. Now, I think some people won't like the lyrics for this (that's why I said it could be a bad thing). But I think this is what makes their style of lyrics so great. In reality, their lyrics are very poetic. Sometimes I read their lyrics-without the music-and they can be read as poems. Lyrically, 10 Years is very deep. Deep lyrics with deep meanings. I think this is one of the band's strongest points. Like I said about the sound, you kind of just have to listen to them. Oh, as for the singer, I think I wrote a bit about it already. But, just to reiterate, he has a great voice. That is all. // 10

Overall Impression: The Autumn Effect is an album that you just have to listen to (I think I've been saying that all along). It is a very good CD. A very different sound. The best songs on the album, in my opinion, are "Wasteland" and "Through The Iris" (they were singles). Some of the songs that weren't singles that are also very good are: "The Autumn Effect" and "Seasons to Cycels" (this one is absolutely beautiful. 10 Years' next album is to be released in a few weeks, but I wanted to write this review because I thought that this album was great. I think some poeple might not like the sound, because it takes getting used to. But, again, if you listen to it, you will understand it. The problem with this album is that it lacks a huge hit, They need to expand their music a bit more to be able to create songs that are gonna be great. It needs a couple songs that are gonna absolutely blow you away the first time you listen to it. The album as a whole might, or mayne the lyrics or the vocals, but not one SONG has will do it. Even so, if I lost this CD, I would run to hte store in my underwear and buy another copy of it. It is a great CD. // 8

More 10 Years reviews rating latest review