Potter's Field Review

12 stones: Potter's Field
Released: Aug 24, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge
Potter's Field opts for a more powerful, guitar-heavy sound than the band's 2002 debut.
 Lyrics: 6.7
 7.5
 6.9
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
Potter's Field Reviewed by: SnurRn0v, on april 13, 2005

Sound: They're hardrocking, headbanging "tuff" guys. The sound is nothing else but heavy. Eric Weaver is a great guitarist, taking om solo's over and over, laying down magnificent riffs and taking the bridges all the way out. The problem is that Dorr and Gainer, bassist/drummer, is left out just to follow him. The whole album is built up on Weaver's heavy riffs and McCoy's shrieking voice. Although it's catchy, it's just not an audience-winner. // 6

Lyrics: Paul McCoy is a great singer. I just wan't to mark that before I critize his song-writing skills. It's okay to write about your feelings, but what McCoy is writing is not challenging lyrics. He isn't taking up any political problems or partying or hate, just the typical "My girlfriend left me/my father never noticed me/I'm alone in this dark hole." If he just could write them in a different, interesting sort of way it would catch more attention, since the songs is based mostly on his lyrics. // 6

Overall Impression: Although this album lacks many sentral parts, it has the most important ones, it's catchy, melodic, heavy, guitar solo's and a good voice. If they could work a little more together they'll hit the charts at no time, cause they have many good Radio hits here. Favorites must be "Speak Your Mind" and "Three Leaf Loser." // 8

Potter's Field Reviewed by: Almost Acoustic, on august 15, 2005

Sound: I have to say, I am a little dissapointed in the sound of 12 Stones' latest disc. Their first album was awsome, with a new, and fresh sound to the genre. However, 12 Stones hasnt really matured their sound very much. They still focus on loud, and energetic rock, which is fine, but they still sound ver similar to their first album. The only difference I have noticed is they have doubled the power of the guitars. They sound like a typical post-grunge/hard rock band. // 6

Lyrics: If you listened to their first album, you will find that 12 Stones writes very deep, and passionate songs, that are usually reflected on Jesus Christ. For the most part, 12 Stones maintained those lyrics with songs such as, "Photograph," "Stay," and "Shadows." Other songs have to do with maintaining good relationships. However, I was extremely dissapointed in the lyrics on the song, "Far Away." This song is very catchy, but their lyrics are very bitter. "Now I'm feeling so far away, and now I'm hating you everyday." I don't know if this is directed at God, or a past partner, but I like it wehn positive artist, stay positive. Anyways, Paul Mcoy has an awsome and powerful voice that is perfect for the genre. He still does the screaming. // 8

Overall Impression: This album doesnt really compare to their first album, simply because they didnt mayure their sound. The most impressive songs I thought were "Photograph," "Stay" and "Shadows." For the most part, this is a good album, I loved the energey that 12 Stones has, and their Christ centered lyrics. I just dont like how thier sound didnt change, and I didnt like bitterness expressed in the track, "Far Away." If this CD were lost or solen, I would get another copy because I am a huge 12 Stones fan. Get the first album if you have never heard of 12 Stones. // 8

Potter's Field Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: This album was okay over all I would say. The sound of the band on this album is kind of blurry if you know what I mean. There isn't as much of the bass like there was on the debut album of 12 Stones. On this album the sound Eric and Greg make are a little too gritty I mean what happened to Kevin Dorr, on the debut album he and Eric rocked. // 6

Lyrics: The messages in the lyrics weren't very positive like on the debut album. Like on "Far Away" it talks about hate, and other unpositive feelings. In practically all of the songs it talks about hate. But the lyrics did mix with the sound, except for on "Photograph" it started off pretty smooth and paceful it sounded like a smooth rock song then all of a sudden the gritty noise comes into play and everything falls apart, it's a good song, but it goes in different directions. // 6

Overall Impression: My whole impression on the album is that it was okay, nothing special, the best songs to me were "Shadows," "Bitter," "Lifeless," "Waiting For Yesterday," and "Speak Your Mind." You don't really need to own this album unless you find it on sale (which I doubt you will). // 8

More 12 Stones reviews rating latest review