On The Run Review

1997: On The Run
Release Date: May 27, 2008
Label: Victory
Genres: Emo, Indie Rock
Chicago's 1997 continues making innovative instrumental choices on its sophomore album On the Run, but it seems that the band has traded its playfulness for urgency here with mixed results.
 7.4
 9.7
 5.1
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
On The Run Reviewed by: DarkDallasNight, on july 02, 2008

Sound: I really didn't want to review this album until I had a good 6-7 listens, but since I have nothing better to do, a two time listen should be suffice. I have been waiting for this album for a while now and I must admit that it doesn't disappoint. I've read a few posts about this album before listening to the album myself and a lot of people were making it seem as if this was a really crappy release because of the new female vocals, Alidia replacing Kerri. At first, it was a little weird listening to the album because I was anticipating Kerri's voice but then I got a sweet surprise when I heard Alidia's voice. Unlike Kerri's, Alidia's voice is much more powerful/soulful, but I must admit it takes a few songs to get used to her singing style. The overall album itself is great. Their sound has definitely matured, their musicianship has definitely improved and the integration of the more powerful female vocals have really made this album a real delight to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Like their previous release, "On The Run" is a very catchy CD and the lyrics, as usual, are well written. Kevin has a pretty cool voice and Alida's voice complements his very nicely. Alidia, as I have mentioned earlier, has a very nice voice and I think that her voice is much better than Kerri's because Kerri sounded the same throughout the last album, whereas Alidia's singing style on this album was really diverse which was really great because it highlights her vocal abilities. And by the way, one of the songs on this album (I can't remember which) is reminiscent to the last CD in that Alidia vocals are not so soulful, which leads me to believe that Alidia was the perfect replacement. Alidia's vocals also have taken a much more prominent role on this CD (when compared to Kerri's on the last album), which was pretty nice considering that I am more likely to listen to a band if I see that they have female vocals (or a chick in the band). // 9

Overall Impression: 1997 is an eclectic band, fusing indie, pop, country, and alternative aspects into their music and I feel that this approach has made this CD successful. All of the songs on this CD are pretty good, but my favorite song right now is "I Will Always Find You." The album art on this CD is much more darker when you compare this to the lively album art found on A Better View of The Rising Moon but it still looks pretty cool. I wish I had more to say but I just started listening to this CD a few hours ago but I know that I will be listening to this for a while. // 10

More 1997 reviews rating latest review