A Beautiful Lie Review

Released: Aug 16, 2005
Label: Virgin/Immortal
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge
This CD is a little tighter and more streamlined than their eponymous 2002 debut, but the basic angst-ridden rock remains the same.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2006

Sound: Well to start off A Beautiful Lie has changed a lot more than there first to CD to me by the way the songs are less trippy, more of a solid sound that is perfect. The sound to me is like a bunch of violens, very pure with no faults in it at all. Overall I'd have to say this is one of the greatest albums put with that actually use different distortions with tomo's keyboard playing. // 10

Lyrics: Jared's job with them are amazing, they actually tell something about there lives and how they are struggling to make it into the music businesss with out the stupid handicap of Jared being an actor. Most songs have random lyrics about food being cooked and then the next line goes into something about a bridge. 30stm's lyrics are no where near that at all. Overall with Jared's voice, it is awesome, in the song From Yesterday Jared's voice is stratched and it shows his lung capacity which is very very impressive. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I would have to compare this album with no-one, I don't think anyone out there has a sound quite like this at all which makes it very unique. The most impressive songs by far are Attack, A Beautiful Lie, The Kill, The Fantasy, From Yesterday, a modern myth and the bonus track Battle of one. I basically love everything on this album up the last guitar stroke. If this album was lost I would have to buy it again because I would feel complete with having it again. // 10

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 26, 2005

Sound: It's never been a rare occasion that actors went into other kinds of art, trying to see where they can become more successful. 30 Seconds To Mars frontman and actor Jared Leto is no exeption. The band recorded their debut self-titled album in 2002 and the CD didn't get much attention at that time. "Beautiful Lie," out August 2005, is their second try to hit the charts. The album is 10 arena emo-rock songs plus a hidden track. The title track "A Beautiful Life" is probably the highlight of the record. That's a song by a bisexual guy, who was cheated by one of his partners. It sticks in your head and can't get rid of that annoying voice, howling "It's a beautiful li-i-i-i-ie-e-e." The guitars are represented by a wall of distortion upon some melody line. Endless wall with no ups and downs, which makes the songs sound like there's no beginning and no end. Electronic keyboard sounds like it's been borrowed from '80s. Most of the album sound like you've heard it somewhere before. I can't help thinking about Hoobastank and Puddle Of Mud listening to songs like "The Kill" and "Attack." Still the band says that their style is something different from other bands. Weird, but I didn't find anything new. // 5

Lyrics: Songs are about nothing and everything -? common phrases and words that only lazy ones didn't sing yet (like "Run away" and "Look in my eyes/you're killing me, killing me. All I wanted was you") that you've already heard a million times. Depressive lyrics about a young guy who lost his last hope and the way he's singing leaves you with no doubt -? that's a hopeless case. I don't know what it would make you feel like, but it puts in such boredom. // 5

Overall Impression: What saves the record and makes it at least listenable is that everything is pretty well played and produced. But the band desperately needs new ideas. Seems like 30 Seconds To Mars are trying to be fashionable. But by the time they find out some new trend, write a song about it, record it and put on the album, this fashion is far far away. I guess sometimes you can't be good in two things, doing them at the same time. If I could choose, I'd leave Jared Leto in acting. Playing music for the sake of being a rockstar is abusive for your ears. // 6

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: A Modern Myth, on september 08, 2005

Sound: So, 30 Seconds To Mars. Where do we start with these people? Firstly, for those who are old hands to the band, they've changed in sound alot. Gone are the sweeping space-rock-vistas of noise, gone are the whispered lyrics on most of the songs (but there are a couple he keeps the whisper for), and gone are tons of guitar effects. What remains, however, is the band. For those that are new to 30 Seconds To Mars, welcome to the universe. The band has changed direction, and kept a few of the old favourites, such as Jared's yell, and the kick-ass guitar playing, and added in new parts. Sure, it might not be massive shredding, or highly complicated solos, but the songs don't need them. Take, for example, Was It A Dream. Jared admitted he wrote this whilst in South Africa, and it sounds otherworldly. It starts off with the sound of a storm, and then an awesome drum beat (like Fallen, for those who have the first album), and the guitars and bass kick in. Simple riff, but awesomely effective. And that's just one song. Now times that by 13, as there are 13 songs on here, and you have an indication of how good this album is. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, 30 Seconds To Mars are on unusual footing with this album. Jared screechs, he yells randomly, he sings normally, he whispers, he howls, he holds notes. Before, compared to the first album, he's taken on a few new things, but kept the majority of the lyrics. The lyrics fit well with the music, The Story being a good example, as it's a quiet, reflective (kinda emo) song, and he sings the verses quietly, compared to other songs, and uses an echo effect in the chorus, which adds to it. The lyrics fit the songs well, with the exception of one of the bonus tracks, Battle Of One, which I feel could have gone on a bit longer, lyric-wise. The first track's lyrics, Attack, fit the music really well, as do most of the songs, with the exception of R-Evolve, which could have been quieter, I thought, to fit the mood of the song. But overall, the lyrics fit well. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to the first album, some would say it's weaker. I choose to say that it is just as good, just a different style, which may take getting used to if you've listened to the self-titled album constantly. But it is definitely worth getting. Fave songs: pretty much the entire album except for the two below. Worst songs: A Beautiful Lie, Hunter. // 8

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: shadowridge, on september 10, 2005

Sound: The sound is definitely different from the first album. I would like the hear more like this from Jared and the gang. If changes sometimes from song to song and you get an overall impression of the 3 years that it took the guys to make this album. And all the different impressions that they got for it. // 10

Lyrics: Jared Leto, I'm sorry, but he just is not the best lyricist. There are a few songs on the album that have wonderful lyrics (Attack, A Beautfiul Lie) other than that, they are pretty mediocre. They are good, but not great (except for those two songs). // 6

Overall Impression: I had never heard of 30 Seconds To Mars before going and seeing them play with The Used a few weeks ago. They really impressed me so I waited in stock antipation for the 30th when this album was released. As soon as it was I listened to it over and over again. It did not dissapoint me at all. It was better than I had hoped it would be after listening to the first album and seeing them live. Truly a wonderful album. // 10

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: gano22perez, on august 07, 2006

Sound: This melodic upbeat driven force of vocal enlightenment reveals to you the level of emotion put into "A Beautiful Lie". Almost every song seems to be pieced and laced together like a beautiful masterpiece and layered with a background of Synth from Heaven. Leto has worked hard on all his own lyrics and worked hard to keep it all part of his work and not collaborate with a High Paid Lyricist or Producer, Leto Was His Own Producer for the most part. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said the Lyrics rock from outer space, Mars more than likely, and along with the music just rolling off of the guitars tongues easily, same does the lyrics come out of Jared's vocals like they were just meant to be! All lyrics from "A Beautiful Lie", to "Savior" to "The kill" to "Attack" rock just as much as you would get from a greatist hits album of one of your favorite bands, this album would have been more phenomenal had it been issued out along with a short 30 min DVD, and been advertised and Whored out to the radio stations like many other producers and record companies do, but underground and fan driven word of mouth is probably how Jared would have wanted it. In due time this band would get the credit they deserve, Hopefully this years 2006 MTV VMA's will be the first to acknowledge the talents and efforts of supreme being rock to better the world! // 7

Overall Impression: A great big impact of compassion and heart as compared to the first album. Almost like a totally new band with the same singer, or maybe going from Sonar Drums and Techtronics to hiring a band and teaching Jareds brother the art of drumming band style. With a song like "I'll Attack" bringing the energy from the first album to transcribe a better message and newfound Heartfelt emotion from Jared's Africa expedition to shoot a little know Movie called "Lord Of War" starring Nicholas Cage. He has found himself a little more and is dealing with the same emotions all of us get when we realize how small the world is and how important it is to realize the real meaning of life and how we could make it better! // 7

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: Drew/Dawg, on january 23, 2007

Sound: Their sound is very peculiar in the beginning but after listening to the CD once or twice I couldn't stop. I listen to it once a day at minimum and it just seems to make my whole day better. They don't use very much guitar or drums that I have really noticed other then the recording sounds but it sure has worked for them and they absolutely need to keep it up all the way. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. It shows a different outlook on love and hate and also the meaning of the word goodbye on the song "A Modern Myth." They show your their perspectives basically and try to make it so you think the same way and it is in no way bas over all refreshing and inspiring that someone can do so much with music. // 9

Overall Impression: This album went above and beyond their other album in my opinion such as the songs "A Beautiful Lie," "R-Evolve" and "A Modern Myth." What I love is their sound all together how it mixes with the lyrics and everything seems to be perfectly times. It is very quick in specific parts and can sound slow and be slow in some parts and sound fast. I don't know how they do it but they of coarse need to make sure they never stop. I don't want them to fall off the map like Green Day did where only their old music was good and they start putting of no hit wonders. // 10

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 18, 2008

Sound: Sound of the Band is good. The Singing sounds good. The Guitar sounds good. The Bass sounds good. The Drums sounds good. Everything about 30 Seconds to Mars is good. The album contains mostly rock music, with 1 or 2 soft songs. 30 Seconds To Mars is truly fantastic in most aspects of most people. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics actually make sense in all the songs on this album.So there not like Kiss lyrics where the lyrics are just random words and sung, they're actually sentences that are sung. The Lyrics and Guitar/Drums go together pretty nicely, it all flows smoothly. The singer(I think his name is Jerad) has very good skills with his voice. He can regulate from low tones to high tones very nicely, and without cracks in unique sounding voice. // 9

Overall Impression: This Compares Very well with some other small Rock bands. The most impressive songs on the album( in my overall impression) are "From Yesterday", "The Fantasy", "Attack" and "Beautiful Lie". I love these songs because they are very unique. They each have different styles of guitar riffs and lyrics. If this was stolen or Lost I probably wouldn't get another one because I don't listen to the album much anymore, But I used to love it and listen to it everyday, I just grew out of it. 30 Seconds To Mars truly has a unique and has a fantastic sound. // 9

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2005

Sound: wow, all I can say is when I heard 30SM first single 'Attack' I didn't even know it was them until I saw the name of the artist. people keep saying this album doesn't even compare to their first self titled album and that it's somehow weaker. I agree witht he first part. this album is nothing like their first album, it is much more lean, mean and a demolishing machine. their first album was way too clustered with space supernova wavelengths. On this effort they quit the half assing and really try and make a good album with great songs. I cant really pick out the best song because they're all good. In no way shape or form is this album weaker. jared leto is fed up with being the actor who chose to Rock Out, and made us believe. Definitely a new sound with much more precise tunes and better than the first, whatever anyone says about that; this album rocks and makes me forget than the front man is an actor, but a truly talented musician. and after listening to this album over and over I can't even listen to their first album anymore bc it doesn't even compare musically. // 10

Lyrics: Jared Leto's voice travels miles and echoes in your head and sends a message to your soul: we are for real now. this album lyrically is better than their first. Leto's singing ranges in between singing and yelling, but he definitely pulls it off bc it gives us more conviction and passion than just plain singing. Some critics dont enjoy or think his singing is good, well they're all just ignorant of true vocalist talent. It kind of reminds me a little of AFI with his vocals but is orignal in that I can tell its 30 seconds to mars. way better than AFI to tell you the truth. With leto's passionate singing, even if people dont think the guitars and sounds are as powerful as the first, his singing definitely makes and fits into the songs to make them powerful and meaningful. cant stop listening to this record. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall impression of this record is 'rock'. 'Rock' on this record is lean and very stripped down compared to their first and precise in their melodies and songwriting. The most rock song is 'Battle Of One' by far, even though it kind of sets its self apart from the rest of the album, it still flows pretty well following the most least rock song 'A Modern Myth' building progressively and leto repeats 'goodbye' multiple times getting louder and more emotional with each and every time he says it. I get goosebumps everytime I hear that song, and then after, you get rumbled by 'Battle Of One' the storm after the calm. This album truly makes me forget the uncertainty revolving around this band about jared leto and him being an actor. I still think about it a lot and it wants to make me ignore this band and not like them bc reeves, crowe and hundreds of other actors tried at this and failed miserably. But the music makes me forget all that publicism and ucertainty and I cant help but to love this music. So don't be fooled by leto, he is a true mucial talent and gives us something on this record that is truly magical and you'll forever be interested in 30SM and won't be able to stop listening to it and maybe even stop listening to their first album. // 10

A Beautiful Lie Reviewed by: AVA_182_44, on september 01, 2006

Sound: I bought this CD ahile ago, and I love it. 30 Seconds To Mars is a great new band, they made a really good impression on me. They tie in the synthesizers of a keyboard with really mind blowing guitar parts with outstanding drums and bass. They've really developed since their self-titled debut, and you can tell they're trying to reach out to you, which they did amazingly. // 8

Lyrics: Most lyrics to other bands are good, but the vocals writes the most brilliant, beutiful, lyrics of all the bands I've come to love. "I won't suffer, be broken, get tired or wasted, surrender to nothing or give up what I, started and stopped it from end to beginning a new day, and I am finally free!" (Attack) As long as you have a decent tatse in music, and give a listen to 30 seconds to mars, you'll realize you love them and there's no way for you to change your mind. The lyrics fit beautifully with the music, and the lead vocals has a strong, smoothe voice. // 10

Overall Impression: "A Beautiful Lie" compares a lot to their debut album, "30 Seconds To Mars" but more developed, and more expierenced. The most impressive songs on this album are "Attack," "The Kill," "The Fantasty," and "Battle Of One." I love this album, but the only thing I don't like is how the intro's can be a little long, but I guess they're just getting you ready for the song. If I ever lost this CD, I'd buy it the second I realize it's missing. // 9

More 30 Seconds To Mars reviews rating latest review