Evolver Review

8.8
 8.6
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Evolver Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 29, 2003

Sound: First of all, I'd like to say that 311 is a great band and I recommend you all check them out. I find that this album covers new ground for the band. There is acoustic parts on a couple of songs, which I like. There is also alot less of a rap side to this album which I feel is good too as it provides kind of a fresh feel. There is however, a lot less reggae than in past albums which I do not like. For more of the funk and reggae lovers, this wont be a good album. // 8

Overall Impression: The album flows well but is fairly short. The order in which the songs are tracked is good and has a good rhythm to it. The production I feel is excellent. In addition, the cd is enhanced and the special features off a behind the scenes look at shooting the album cover and making the album. So as you can see there is trade-offs good and bad for the new album. I personally am kind of 'if-y' about 3-4 of the songs right now but all there albums have grown on me over time and I'm sure this one will to. // 8

Evolver Reviewed by: soupisgoodfood, on april 16, 2005

Sound: I didn't know what to expect about this album, it's supposed to be way different from the other albums, and it's kinda different more rock and a little bit less ragaee and rap. I liked this album alot actually but I would like to see them go back to the old 311 style but don't get me wrong this album is great. Best songs are Sometimes Jack Rule The Realm, Don't Dwell, and Still Dreaming. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good but different I would have to say. One song that stuck out was Beyond The Grey Sky, it's a ballad that's about Nick's friend who took his own life, I wouldn't think he would write lyrics about that, it's great though. Also there are a bunch of songs about girls and all that, it's real different for 311. // 10

Overall Impression: This album's great it's real good solid rock which is alot different for 311. I like it alot, if you're a hardcore 311 fan you will be really suprised. The best songs are Still Dreaming, Sometimes, Jacks Will Rule The Realm, Other Side Of Things, Don't Dwell, and there a lot of more good songs too. So don't hesitate to buy it. // 10

More 311 reviews rating latest review