Soundsystem Review

311: Soundsystem
Release Date: Oct 12, 1999
Label: Polygram International
Genres: Funk Metal, Alternative Pop/Rock, Rap-Metal, Rap-Rock
It's a good bet that this Soundsystem will find its way onto the sound systems of fans old and new.
 8.1
 9.4
 6.8
Soundsystem Reviewed by: silhouettica, on february 26, 2007

Sound: 311 has always been a ban with several different styles working together to come up with a sound which is not seen anywhere else. On this album everyone is performing at the best they ever have, and the harmonies are incredible. One extrodinary fact about this album is the bass work by P-Nut. This is probably some of the best bass work he has ever done. A latin theme is very proficient after the 5th track (cant fade me), and it is just one of the several extrordinary things that make this a good album. One song which really stands out is Sever. While the lyrics seem smple, they really have a lot of hidden meaning while still having the traditional upbeat sound. all in all, this is defanetly the best 311 record in terms of sound. // 10

Lyrics: 311 always have incredible thoughtfull lyrics which inspire countless hours of thought. This album is no different, with songs like "Large In The Margin" and "Flowing". These two tracks, along with "Eons" are the lyrical highlights of the piece, and the other tracks are no fillers either. As always, nick hexum's voice shines like the fury of 1000 suns, and the interplay and harmonizing with SA martinez make this album a lyrical delight // 10

Overall Impression: All in all, this is defenatley the best 311 record. It combines just the right ammounts of funk, metal, rock, and latin rythms to form a masterpeace which has not been seen since. the most impressive songs are defenatley "Flowing," "Eons," "Life's Not A Race" and "Sever", all of which contain the right ammount of incredible lyricwork, as well as rythms. My only gripe about it is how leaving babalon is kind of like a low point. That song only gets a 9/10, but the rest are all tens. All in all, a great buy, defanetly go pick it up, and your ears will thank you. // 10

Soundsystem Reviewed by: Kaervek, on december 02, 2008

Sound: I went to my friend's house one day to smoke shisha and he didn't have any metal. He put this on and I was skeptical because I thought 311 was one of those cheeky alternative rock bands. Man was I wrong, these guys really throw down. The next time I actually started listening to them was in a bar back home in Indonesia. After hours we got really drunk and listened to the greatest hits CD (many songs from this album). Many good memories to these songs. This album is really funky, groove with a deep pocket, but also heavy alternative rock distortion (which, on this album, takes strumming rhythm from metal.) The music, is however, reggae, with rapping (not the best, but entertaining and sounds good) and DJing. The bottom line is that they sound like no other, and very listenable, chill music. Pot-smoking reggae lovers will love this. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not particularly emotional, but pertain very well to song material. 311 is famous for having the lead singer use an ethereal, echo effect on vocal and sing very harmoniously with the backup singer, who also raps. However, the backup singer's voice is not excellent, but his lyrics make up for this somewhat. // 8

Overall Impression: There's nothing to really compare 311 to except maybe other alternative rock albums. The closest would probably be RHCP, and in my humble opinion, 311 kicks the shit out of them. My favorite songs on this album are Come Original, Flowing, Freezing Time (in that order). I love that this album is totally original, and doesn't steal material from anyone. I don't like the backup singer's voice at times, but the overall groove of the album usually makes up for it. If I lost it I would probably buy it again. (but try downloading it first.) // 8

More 311 reviews rating latest review