Rest Inside The Flames Review

36 crazyfists: Rest Inside The Flames
Release Date: Jun 13, 2006
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Rock
The melodies and subject matter remain very close to the origins of 36 Crazyfists and they're still very inspirational in themselves.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.3
 9.3
 9.2
Rest Inside The Flames Reviewed by: colourofanger, on june 15, 2006

Sound: This new album is a far cry from 36 Crazyfists origins, but I'm sure we all saw that coming. While it can't yet be considered hardcore, it's certainly moving in that direction. Brock Lindow barely uses the gargling vocal style he started with, pre-Bitterness The Star. Steve Holt uses speedier riffs while Thomas Noonan uses a lot more double bass than has previously been seen on a 36Crazyfists album. The overall sound is tighter, yet more spontaneous. "Elysium" is a song that will be soaked up with glee by hardcore kids. "Aurora" is another beauty, with an excellent melody and a changing tempo throughout. "I'll Go Until My Heart Stops" is the first single and is reminiscent of the single "At The End Of August" on the previous 36CF album, A Snow Capped Romance. Again, Brock Lindow pays tribute to his home state of Alaska, with song titles like "Between The Anchor And The Air." The final song, "The City Ignites" is merely an acoustic version of "Midnight Swim." The album is an altogether strikingly beautiful modern metal record. // 9

Lyrics: Brock Lindow is an exceptionally talented vocalist, but when did 36 Crazyfists lyrics ever make sense to anyone? There are some striking lines such as the challenging "Are you screaming loud enough to be important?" near the start of "Aurora" and the melancholy "What I would give for memories that wouldn't keep me up at night." "The Great Descent" carries a sense of urgency throughout, one of the lines sung is "Somebody better call a doctor" and it finishes with "There's no need for emergency but if there is, distract it." While some lyrics stick out, most of the lyrics on this album, like previous albums, don't make sense to the average person, but instead leave them very open to interpretation, for instance, "Could I be any further along when a room leaves nothing?" at the start of "On Any Given Night" and "Tonight may be the last night in these shoes" at the end of "Aurora." // 9

Overall Impression: It's debatable whether or not this album would succeed if it was labelled solely as a hardcore album and it's difficult to compare this cd to previous 36 Crazyfists albums because the style has changed so much. The best song is undoubtedly "Aurora" followed closely by "Elysium" and the single "I'll Go Until My Heart Stops." I think it's unfortunate that this album has strayed so far from the style of "Bitterness The Star" which had more individuality, the gargling vocals and melodic guitar defined 36 Crazyfists for me, but on this album, they've moved closer to definitions set by other bands. However, the melodies and subject matter remain very close to the origins of 36 Crazyfists and they're still very inspirational in themselves - everything they do, they do with style that you want in your music collection. // 9

Rest Inside The Flames Reviewed by: ThumperBunny, on july 14, 2006

Sound: 36 Crazyfists have really increased in popularity by their amazing performance at download their new album "Rest Inside The Flames" combines Brock's unique voice with the acceleration of the bands music. I feel the new album represents lonelyness and isolation with the urge to get away from everything. I think this from the "On Any Given Night" the lyrics "Don't wait for me, I'm pretty sure I wont be coming home tonight". The lyrics were almost spoken to add empesis to what Brock was saying. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have improved since the last album. Brock keeps the singing in time with the music whilst keeping his unique singing techniques. I feel though there was a bit too much screaming from Brock but other than that the lyrics were excellent. // 9

Overall Impression: "Rest Inside The Flames" to me is one of the best albums this year and the mood of the songs varies so there's something for everyone. I like the fact that the songs are more up beat and keeping with the general 36CF theme. I don't like, however, how Steve's guitaring talent isn't justified by the music I feel he could have put more into some of the songs. // 8

Rest Inside The Flames Reviewed by: KoRn dude, on october 16, 2006

Sound: Well 36 Crazyfists have been back with this new album for a while now, and I have enjoyed listening to this Album every-second of every-day. It shows there progression in Music as they have evolved from Bitterness The Star to today. They show a much lighter side, with Bitterness The Star focusing on Quite Depressing notes RITF is a little less heavy and makes it very enjoyable. They are a huge presence on stage! and try to get to the front, because you may find yourself screaming "Rest Inside The Flames" on there track Elysium. As my friend found out a few gigs back, he even got in MetalHammer. // 10

Lyrics: 36 have allways been so imaginative with there lyrics, they live by the fact that there is no set message, and people can take what they want. Songs like Midnight Swim and Felt Through a Phoneline really move me, but songs like I'll Go Until My Heart Stops makes you just want to get up and beat out of somebody. It's a great mix. I also love there acoustic version of Midnight Swim, "The City Ignites". It Is an amazing track. Brocks Voice is so unique, his Alaskan Background must have played some part, it gives such an amazing variance over other bands of today. // 10

Overall Impression: I would like to say that 36 compare to all the other bands in whatever Genre they have been crammed into today, but the matter of the fact is that they don't really compare to anyone. I think one of the most amazing tracks is Elysium, it blows my mind. And with Guest Vocals from Howard Jones Of Killswitch Engage, you can't really say no. In fact at the last KsE gig, me and a few friends were shouting for Elysium, but Brock and the Boys didn't come out. I can safely say that I love this album, and on a personal note it changed my life. All I hate is, that it isnt 1000 times longer. Because I would be in heaven. If it were stolen or lost I would probably either tear my house to shreds trying to find it, or tear whoever took it to Shreds. Either way, I would definatly go out and buy a new copy, because it's that amazing. I really do Hate to give 10 accross the board because I like to be impartial in my reviews, but I can safely say I really love this album. Good for those of you, that love Melow and Heavy, like some thaught behind there lyrics, and have been through some in their life. that's my opinion anyway. // 10

More 36 Crazyfists reviews rating latest review