3 Doors Down Review

3 doors down: 3 Doors Down
Release Date: May 20, 2008
Label: Republic
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative Pop/ Rock, Alternative Metal
Summary: 3 Doors Down's latest record doesn't deliver the same energy present on earlier albums.
 8.4
 8.5
 8.2
3 Doors Down Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 21, 2008

Sound: There has to be an amazing amount of pressure for a band like 3 Doors Down to deliver another hit like Kryptonite. After all, that one single was the turning point that led the band into multiplatinum success. They've done pretty well for themselves by never straying too far from their original style, and with their latest self-titled record we're getting another helping of that familiar sound. There has always been a mellowness to 3 Doors Down, but this time around there seems an excessive amount of balladic moments and not enough catchy hooks. You might get the impression from the first track Train that 3 Doors Down is venturing into more aggressive, rock territory. It's true that Train is an incredible track, complete with a gritty, low guitar and some incredible riff work from Matt Roberts and Chris Henderson. Vocalist Brad Arnold has more of bluesy style in this track and it definitely compliments him. As openers go, the band couldn't have picked a better one to get your attention. Unfortunately, the rock vibe is short-lived and Train is as hard as it gets. The first single off the album, Citizen/Soldier, is the other track that shines on the record, with a synth-heavy intro that eventually transitions into a low-key guitar line. There obviously was time and thought put into writing the intro between the New Age-type feel (yes, New Age) and interesting percussion, and the rock-oriented chorus is fairly memorable in it's own way as well. The first two tracks stray from the usual 3 Doors Down sound, and it was actually refreshing to hear them go in unexpected directions. By the third track things start getting more familiar, however. With songs like Let Me Be Myself and Not My Time, you just immediately know that the radio will love the fact that they are the typical 3 Doors Down fare. There are quite a few low-key, power chord rock tracks, with a handful of quiet ballads in between. They aren't bad songs by any means, but they have a tendency to blend together and don't make the impression that Kryptonite did way back in the day. // 7

Lyrics: 3 Doors Down takes a patriotic turn on the new album with the track Citizen/Soldier. Apparently this was released in conjunction with a National Guard recruitment campaign, and that might turn some people off out there. The lyrics aren't as blatant as you might think, and there's a positive tone to it all. Arnold sings, On that day when you need your brothers and sisters to care; I'll be right here; Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair. At the other end of the spectrum are several ballads that aim straight for the heart. I will give 3 Doors Down credit for not writing the usual cheesy love lyrics, instead delivering thought-provoking, introspective ideas. // 8

Overall Impression: It's hard to get excited about tracks that just don't go to many new places. The first few tracks on the self-titled record indicate that the rest of the playlist might be a completely new venture for the band, but it just doesn't pan out that way. With the exception of Train and a few tracks with big choruses, the energy level on the new record is low. There might be electric guitars used in every track, but the tempo often lags. That wouldn't be such a horrible thing if we didn't hear the incredible potential the band has for creating edgy, straight-up rock tracks like Train. // 7

3 Doors Down Reviewed by: rwaller1, on may 26, 2008

Sound: Once again, the boys from 3 Doors Down deliver superb quality sound on this CD. The CD has a perfect balance between the guitars, drums, and vocals with no instrument overpowering another. This CD was written in a cabin in Franklin, TN and you can the guys were able to reconnect and really put out a solid effort. They are having fun and it evident by the quality of the music. // 9

Lyrics: Brad Arnold is one of those lyricist who always dig deep into their inner soul to write. He is exposes his struggles of his marriage falling apart and the every day struggle we all face with. Now throw in Brads haunting and unique vocals and the lyrics merge together into an excellent combination that drives you to listen to the words he is singing about. That is a rare trait and this band has mastered it. // 10

Overall Impression: 3 Doors Down self titled album might just actually be the bands best effort yet. It is definitely the best album period to date in 2008. Heartfelt, honest, fun, and just a flat-out kickass album. 3DD shows why they are one of the number touring acts in the country and leaps and bounds above most of the competition. Unlike most albums I can listen to this entire CD straight through. There honestly is not one bad song on this entire CD. My personal favs on this CD are Runaway (Track 10), It's the Only One You Got (Track 6), Train (Track 1) and of course It's Not My Time (Track 3). Runaway is far and away my favorite song on the CD. You press play in your car and you just want to drive off into the sunset and literally do as the song says. Great tempo and fun to sing along to. Trust me, don't download this CD illegally because the album's quality is so solid on the sound side alone that you will really miss out if download it, even from Itunes. I got it off Itunes and the actually CD and the CD is just the way to go. So do yourself a favor and go get it now! // 10

More 3 Doors Down reviews rating latest review