Away From The Sun Review

7.9
 8.9
 6.8
Away From The Sun Reviewed by: Whstripesrox, on june 12, 2004

Sound: I like what 3 Doors Down has going on. I really like all the appregios they often use in their songs. The sound is usually melody in the verses with some heavy power chords in the chorus. Most of the songs usually have something to do with life. Such are being away from home and having to many things to do in too little of time, just to name two. Often you will find acoustic driven tracks like Here Without You. Other songs just come for you by the throat, like Going Down In Flames. Sometimes the songs will have solos which I engoy since many bands now don't play solos. If there is a solo it is a good one. Basically 3 Doors Down is modern rock with a little bit soft rock added to it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay. Though sometimes Brad Arnold (the singer) repeats himself. The main thing he usually repeats is about his family loving him while is away from home. In fact, two whole songs are about that. While I'm Gone and Here Without You. Fortunately, he doesn't repeat himself too much to cause a dislike. The singing skills are okay as well. Basically on the same level as the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Three Doors Down's newest album Away From the Sun, is about the same and even better sometimes than their first album, The Better Life. I think they got better at their game during that time between the two albums. The most impressive songs are While I'm Gone, Away From the Sun, Road I'm On, Going Down In Flames, Changes, This Game and Sarah Yellin. Also watch out for that hidden track at the album, track 12. It will start playing at about 30 seconds. This album is worth your money. If you like The Better Life, than you should love Away From the Sun. // 10

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: CgBluedog24, on july 24, 2003

Overall Impression: This record is damp in power chords and catchy riffs. Look no further than the first single "When I'm Gone" for an example. The rest of the album is very similar with a couple of ballads. But the rest is straight up and southern served good 'ole rock and roll. "Ticket To Heaven" could very well be the next single, but then again so could "Dangerous Game"; a catchy blues based song that features some catchy power chords in the choruses. "Changes" expresses a mood not caught by many of the teenies who bought "The Better Life" to hear "Kryptonite". "Changes" expressed the frustation of being on the road and alone at night thinking of home. This is a good record overall. Catchy and moody is the best to describe it; and very upbeat. Overall I give it a B- for a terrific sophomore release. // 8

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on november 10, 2003

Sound: Sound on Away From The Sun is most definitely rock, rock and more rock. A lot of the songs make use of the minor key, but there some up-and-away majors sa well. Scraps of metal and southern rock and pentatonic scales all make an appearance. Guitar-wise, the tones have also improved. Clean tones are sparkling and flowing to create spacy, melodic parts. Distortion is smooth, and with less mids than on The Better Life. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are very well crafted - 3 Doors Down way. Brad Arnold has a fantastic voice and great songwriting abilities that complement the music well. Arnold's lyrics have a very emotional quality to them, evident on "Here Without You" - a song about being away from loved ones while on tour, as well as on other songs. // 10

Overall Impression: The talent of 3 Doors Down is undeniable - and this record is the evidence. It is one direct step up above their debut, The Better Life (which was also brilliant) in every respect. The most impressive songs are the debut single, When I'm Gone, Here Without You, and track 12, which is a hidden track. The latter is a haunting, evil-sounding song that's guaranteed to send shivers down your spine. Very fine effort and I don't see any downfalls that are significant. There are minor flaws, but they are negligible, and a bonus DVD is also a nice touch. Here's my advice: right after you finished reading this review, shut down your computer, smash your piggy bank, and go and buy it. If it's stonlen, then go and buy it again, put it in your CD player, and play until the Hell freezes over. Brilliant. // 10

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: soundrock31, on november 25, 2003

Sound: 3 Doors Down uses a southwestern sound to their guitar riffs similar to what Nickelback uses (which is ironic because the Canadian Nickelback has a better southwestern sound then 3 Doors Down, who hail from a forign land called Alabama), but their guitar lick are still good. Despite their strenghts their guitar parts have, the guitars over power the bass, and the lead singer has a good voice that souds good with an acoustic guitar, but sounds mediocre when it is trying to carry a distriton section. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical composure has some stong points, like in "Here with out you", and "Away from the Sun". Yet most of the lyrics sound rather cheesy and annoying ("Ticket to Heaven" may possibly be the worst song by a band I like. // 4

Overall Impression: Away from the Sun is definatly as good as their first album Better Life. The best track on this album for me is the hidden track at the end. I would recomend buying their first album and skip this one, unless you have a passion for bad lyrics. Yet 3 Doors Down is still a band I like. // 6

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2004

Sound: I really liked the way this album sounds. It has an southwestern tune sort of like Nickleback but this is better. I really like the acoustic songs on this album. The band also put alot more thought into the music and the sound than in the first record all though both are equal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and they were written with true life experiences. I think Brad Arnold is an excellent song writter and he does a good job. The songs are great and they relate to things that others might be going through. The song "Here With Out You" is the best song ever written by this band. I recommend that when you listen to the tracks that you pay attention to some of the words. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier this album's sound is alot like Nickelback but I personally think this is better (no offense to Nickelback). The tracks that I liked the most would have to be "When I'm Gone", "Away from the Sun" and last but not least "Here Without You". Those are excellent songs as well as the others. I really like everything about it. If this cd was stolen or lost yes I would replace it. This is certainly worth buying. You should go and buy it today. You can e-mail me at coolguysayshiagain@hotmail.com. // 10

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on november 26, 2005

Sound: This album totally sticks with the same sound the whole album, with little variation. It's basically clean intro, clean verse, hard chorus, repeated clean intro, clean verse 2, hard chorus, hard bridge/solo, last hard chorus, end on feedback. This is the pattern used on most of the album. Not to say that it doesn't work, but it just gets a little boring after awhile. This album is the same old 3 Doors Down. It has has a post-grunge feel with a sort of southern rock twist. This album doesn't really break any new ground, but is nonetheless solid, and has some good songs. Overall, the sound is solid, but every song has the same feel and sound. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely based on relationships. The writer does a good job of taking personal experiences and making them so that the listener can relate. The lyrics fit the songs well. The singer pretty much stays in the same range and sings all the time. There is no screaming, shouting, falsetto, or anything like that. He just sings melodies in pretty much the same range the whole time. He is a good singer, and his vioce fits the songs very well. The lyrics are overall pretty decent, with the exception "Here Without You," which has terribly mushy, lovey dovey lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: I'd say that this album kind of compares to a creed album. The songs all follow the same clean/hard/clean/hard pattern. Without the vocals, I think that both this album and any creed album would sond very much alike. The most impressive songs on the album would probably be "When I'm Gone" and "Away From The Sun." The album is pretty solid, and I like how I can listen to every song except one. I would like it more if the songs kind of reached out and broke up the order or sound of the songs. Sometimes it can get a little boring. But overall this is a good album, and I would probably buy it again if it were lost or stolen. // 8

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on april 29, 2006

Sound: One word wow! Now, I've been a rock fan for a while, but, this is the ultimate in wow factor. They combine southern fingerstyle type picking and chords, and searing leads. Like a mix of country rock, punk, and metal all blended together. I'm still stuck at "WOW!" "When I'm Gone" is, in my opinion, the best song on the album, followed by "Ticket To Heaven," "Here Without You" and "Away From The Sun." When I'm Gone is such a song. Reverberating, almost arpeggiated chords over the verse, and when it comes to the chorus, insane, metallic chords, and a guitar solo that I think Jimi would be impressed with. Ticket To Heaven is just plain awesome. I'm drawn to that one. Awesome chord writing. Here Without You is the quintessential and 100% necessary love song on this album. If you like rock music of any kind, get this album. Seriously. Away From The Sun just kicks. A very deep, thought-provoking chunk of lyrical goodness, and the chords over the chorus are to die for. Genius! I've impressed people with my songs, but, I wish I could write one album's worth like these. Musical innovations. My favorite kind of song goes from soft over the verses and bridges, to explosive over the chorus. The ear-drum scorching lead from the pits of Hell also helps. My favorite thing though, is the mix of typical modern rock style power chords, and arpeggiation of the chords and of course, the fact that the guitar on "When I'm Gone" has reverb on one guitar, and no reverb on the other. Woah, dude! // 10

Lyrics: Once again, wow! Lyrics with the modern feel, and yet, the poetic depth of Don Henley. Superb! The Lyrics go very well with the music. I was very impressed. It takes alot to impress me lyric-wise with modern music. Singer skills, huh? The whole band is from the south. Combine that kind of voice with a perfect rock vocal timbre, and you've got the vocals from 3 Doors Down. Heck yes. He has a deeper voice, and yet he can break the sound barrier on the high notes. I am most impressed. // 9

Overall Impression: Oh yeah. It not only compares, it'd blow a lot of the other albums in this genre out of the skies. The most impressive songs are listed above. I love the guitar, I love the drums. I only have one complaint about most artists today. I want to be able to hear the bass guitar a little bit without kicking in the bass boost. Hoobastank has the problem too. If somebody stole this CD, I'd follow em' club the heck out of them, and steal it back. If they managed to beat me down, yeah, I'd buy it. If it got stolen a million times, I'd buy it every time. I looove this album! // 10

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: djflats, on march 24, 2008

Sound: Well I haven't listened to a lot of today's rock until the last couple of years. I heard a song by "3 Doors Down" a while back and really enjoyed the music. I'm not into the metal rock and I can't stand rap or rapper want-to-bes so when I heard this group I was surprised. Not knowing what to expect, this whole CD is good. I play bass so I like music that actually have riffs and runs, not just a lot of "beating the hell out of the bass". 3 Doors Down is good, modern rock I can stand to listen to and I like playing the songs on my bass. // 10

Lyrics: I like the lyrics, hey I can actually understand them! No yelling and screaming, they actually sing. Songs such as "When I'm Gone", "The Road I'm On", "Here Without You", they're all good. The music is good and the lyrics flow great. It's written like music should be, intro, verse, chorus, bridge, and put in a solo here and there. Brad Arnold, the lead singer has a great voice, capable of singing in different ranges. "Running Out of Days" and "Ticket To Heaven" have a faster, upbeat and the vocals have a "harder" sound. Then he goes to slower songs like "Here By Me" and "Let Me Go" and his voice is just down right smooth. It's hard for me to explain but the dude can sing! The group of guys I play music with are all 48 years old or older, yea we're old. We're use to the classic rock, Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, you get the picture. When I introduced them to the music of 3 Doors Down they got into right away. That tells you a little something about the music right there. It's not real hard metal and it's far from the classic rock but it's in between. If a bunch of old guys like us get into it the group has to be ok (our biased opinion). Hey, we can actually say we play modern rock. By the way, I screwed up on some of the songs above. "Let Me Go" and "Here By Me" are actually on another 3 Doors Down CD, but I have it too, sorry about that. // 10

Overall Impression: I like some of the other groups such as Creed, Staind, Skid Row, but 3 Doors Down is a different type of rock. It's not what I'd call mellow bit it's not hard head-banging crap either, not that I don't like some of that. This whole CD is great "Away From the Sun". My favorite songs on it are "When I'm Gone", "The Road I'm On", "I Feel You". I like the whole CD so I could list all of the songs but you can take a look to see what's all on it. There's nothing I don't like about the CD, I like it all. I'd hate to lose it because I'd have to buy another one. In fact I thought I lost it one time. I tore this place apart looking for it and it ended up being behind the seat of my truck at work. What can I say, I'm a dumb*ss. The group 3 Doors Down is a great band. I bought another one of their CD's also, "Seventeen Days". It has some good songs on it too. If you haven't heard the group try out a CD, see what you think. // 10

Away From The Sun Reviewed by: Nightblood1995, on january 24, 2012

Sound: Brad Arnold kicks off this amazing album with one of their most popular songs "When I'm Gone" and continues to take you on a ride you'll never forget. With his emotionally yet rockish vocals, he captivates the listener with songs like "Ticket To Heaven", "I Feel You", "Here Without You", "Dangerous Game", and "Changes". Although it's a very difficult album to find, being rare in major stores like Wal-Mart, once you sit and listen to it you'll have it on repeat for days. In striking contrast to their more recent albums, "3 Doors Down" and "Time Of My Life", "Away From The Sun" is filled with more meaningful songs that touch the listener in ways never thought possible. // 10

Lyrics: Full List Of Songs: 01. When I'm Gone 02. Away From The Sun 03. The Road I'm On 04. Ticket To Heaven 05. Running Out Of Days 06. Here Without You 07. I Feel You 08. Dangerous Game 09. Changes 10. Going Down In Flames 11. Sarah Yellin' 12. This Time (Bonus track) For full lyrics I recommend going to AZlyrics.com. // 10

Overall Impression: "Away From The Sun" isn't their best album, by vote, but it is their more touching albums. Personally I love this album out of all the ones I possess so far (a few short but getting there). Compared to other artists like Nickelback or Three Days Grace, "Away From The Sun" is more leisure paced yet packs a great punch. // 10

More 3 Doors Down reviews rating latest review