Seventeen Days Review

3 doors down: Seventeen Days
Released: Feb 8, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
"Seventeen Days" sees 3 Doors Down take their Southern rock style and give it a harder, more metal edge.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.7
 7.3
Seventeen Days Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Sound: I bought this album a week ago, and the first time I listened to it, I thought it was a typical 3 Doors Down album. However, listening to it more and more I began to develop a sense of feeling that it was not just run of the mill, it was pure excellence. I would rate this highly among their other albums such as 'The Better Life', 'Away From The Sun' and their live album 'Another 700 Miles'. The sound has got better every consecutive album they have released and it could be argued that this is their best. // 8

Lyrics: As on every 3 Doors Down CD, the lyrics on Seventeen Days were great. They included a lot of thought but also got to the point. Landing In London and be sombody were some of my favorites. This CD is definately just as good as the away from the sun album in lyrics point of view. // 9

Overall Impression: I would argue that this is possibly the best album 3 Doors Down have done, very closely followed by Away From The Sun. The music has such a distinctive warm, but at the same time, rocky sound. I think this is an amazing masterpiece, the best song being 'Let Me Go', and I think this band could go far. At the moment they are disturbingly underrated and I think that anyone who has not heard this band should go and buy an album by them! // 9

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on february 25, 2005

Sound: My impression of the sound was pretty good. It sounds a lot like their first album in terms of tone and feeling. The story isn't really anything in particular, although it leaves you with a feeling of being wanted. The styles are mostly distorted riffs that aren't too hard to play and a few clean electric intros. There are a couple of acoustic-type songs on the album. One has all acoustic and the other is has a acoustic rhythm. I think the sound is a little stagged with too much of the same effects, they use the "When I'm Gone" sounds too much. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are well done, personalized to the general public. I like the lyrics of "Father's Son" especially. Catchy twists through the song and the music's drums/guitars pick that up well. The singer, Brad, does a well done job in the vocals. It is consistent. Bob Seger sings along his side on "Landing London". // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't beat out the "Away From The Sun" album but it is better then "The Better Life." It's a good album in general, the music is somewhat repetitive in some ways it's alright to keep your sound but using the same tone in many songs through 4 years of being a band isn't. The better songs are the single "Let Go," "Father's Son" and the soon to be hit "Landing London." Bob Seger's vocals on this sparkle. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't get it right away. I would in time but not right away. I reccomend this album to fans of 3 Doors Down, not to just anyone. // 6

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: Robodude, on february 28, 2005

Sound: I bought this album a week ago, and the first time I listened to it, I thought it was a typical 3 Doors Down album. However, listening to it more and more I began to develop a sense of feeling that it was not just run of the mill, it was pure excellence. I would rate this highly among their other albums such as 'The Better Life', 'Away From The Sun' and their live album 'Another 700 Miles'. The sound has got better every consecutive album they have released and it could be argued that this is their best. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, I think that this album is well done and I believe that there is a lot of meaning to many of the songs on here. The compliance of the music and lyrics is impressive, and of course the singing, as always, compliments the music. I think this band are great and I would love to see them live. // 8

Overall Impression: I would argue that this is possibly the best album 3 Doors Down have done, very closely followed by Away From The Sun. The music has such a distinctive warm, but at the same time, rocky sound. I think this is an amazing masterpiece, the best song being 'Let Me Go', and I think this band could go far. At the moment they are disturbingly underrated and I think that anyone who has not heard this band should go and buy an album by them! // 10

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2005

Sound: The sound is okay, nothing ground breaking here. Theres the loose rocking sound in Right Where I Belong which is still a good song. Although I liked all of the songs they seemed to use a repetitve chord structure for the chorus. Although the guitar riffs were very melodic and complimented well on the lyrics. The solos were limited but awesome, example the quick buildup on It's Not Me or the crazy fast one on Right Where I Belong. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are Arnold's best so far. Be somebody is one of the best. They are well thought out, telling a story of character or personal struggles. There are to many choruses though which sometimes drag on to end a song. // 8

Overall Impression: A solid album, with some nifty songwriting, catchy riffs and a few solos. Not their best work but a good album in every respect, the best songs being, the first and last four. I just wist they'ed been a little different with using the same style of song in the same formula for most of them. But I'd buy it again if I lost. // 8

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 05, 2005

Sound: After three years since their last studio effort "Away From The Sun," Mississippi rock band 3 Doors Down has released their third full-length album entitled "Seventeen Days" ...and it made its debute at #1 on Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart right away. On the one hand it seems that this album is slighly overrated. Both critics and fans have been waiting anything that would outshine their multi-platinum sophomore release, hence its platinum status in first week. Obviously, "Seventeen Days" didn't go that far though -- it's an ok album from damn good american rock band. From the other hand -- 3 Doors Down still keep close to their post-grunge/alternative metal roots, and this album is convincing proof of above statement. One of the best parts of "Seventeen Days" is the fact that it's not oversaturated with tunes of the same type, as it might seems during the first listening to it, though it's performed in one key. Surely, most songs have a typical for that genre structure and tone -- slightly sluggishness and depressive -- but some tracks might be picked out. For example, the opening "Right Here I Belong" features pure hard rock composing with growling and cutting guitars and crushing rhythms. The ballad "Landing In Lonon" -- which has been made in collaboration with legendary Bob Seger -- features symphonic regularity and serenity, amazing arangement and light meditative guitar solo. Symphonic/acoustic song "Here By Me" is another outstanding track and a decent final for the album. All in all, "Seventeen Days" proves to be rather good album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical side of this album is very well prepared. All the lyrics are thought-out but not intricate. Mostly they are easily identifiable, such as on the track "Let Me Go" -- "You love me/But you don't know who I am/So let me go" -- you always know what's it all about. The great thing about "Seventeen Days" is the fact that its lyrics don't charge you with low spirits, every song perceives with a good share of positive feelings. Although they narrate you about human relationships and life troubles, they are not obscure at all. In general, lyrics and arrangements constitute a solid substance here. Brad Arnolds's singing job is impressive as well -- his voice sounds perfect on acoustic tracks same good as on the tracks with distorted guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: Honestly, "Seventeen Days" can hardly made an impression on a regular listener who hasn't been carried away with 3 Doors Down's music before (at least that what I thought when heard first single off the album). But for the venerators of their music this should be a worthy bargain. There are no standout tracks -- all of them tend to run well together. All the musicians performed their duties perfectly. 3 Doors Down's "Seventeen Days" is a very solid album in every aspect that shows how real rock stuff should sound these days. Go buy it now! // 8

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Sound: The sound on Seventeen Days as always for 3 Doors, is incredible. The songs are well spread out, not too many acoustic or electric songs and the solos, though few are great. I love the fact that 3 Doors Down hasn't gone completely soft as some would say, songs like right where I belong and number 10 prove that. There are also a number of mixed songs that have just enough rock in them to make them great but aren't to heavy as to change the bands sound. // 10

Lyrics: As on every 3 Doors Down CD, the lyrics on Seventeen Days were great. They included a lot of thought but also got to the point. Landing In London and be sombody were some of my favorites. This CD is definately just as good as the away from the sun album in lyrics point of view. // 10

Overall Impression: 3 Doors Down is great! I can listen to any of there three albums over and over again without getting bored or craving anything else. The entire way through the CD even the first time I was air guitaring especially in right where I belong. I recommend this cd or any other 3 Doors CD to anyone that enjoys music slightly. Seventeen Days easily matches up to Away From The Sun and keeps me listening to them everyday. // 10

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: Stealthbass, on october 31, 2005

Sound: The sound is great, just like all there music. It starts off with a really great hard rock. This is probably there best piece. This is one of the most seducing pieces of art. This draws your attention. It makes you think of sad times and good times you've had with your friends. It makes you bang your head and want to learn it. The guitar, bass, and drums play new and orginal songs that are very intricate. // 10

Lyrics: This singer, Brad Arnold, is wonderful. The lyrics are perfectly blended with the music. They make you think of what you have done in your life. They can be very well compared to real life. Very soothing and complex. Great choice of topics and keeping it creative. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a overall 9.885/10 CD. This is a definite must have and must buy. It is up in some of the best acoustic/rock CDs. The most impressive songs "Right Where I Belong," "Let Me Go," "Father's Son," "Live For Today". I would definitely buy this back if stolen. // 9

Seventeen Days Reviewed by: Argon, on january 04, 2006

Sound: I have always liked this great band and own all of their previous albums (The Better Life and Away From The Sun). It's nice too see how they evolved since the better life (which was great too by the way) and how they got more confident in their music. They are harder than ever on some of their songs and then suddenly the sound becomes more quiet and peaceful without totally ruining the song. Some of my favorite songs were 'Behind Those Eyes', 'The Real Life' and 'Right Where I Belong' but I have to say my top favorite is 'Let Me Go'. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were great just like all of their previous work and I find them really emotional and powerful. The singers has a special voice which can be recognized out of a thousand others and he uses it well. The music really carried the lyrics and exploded at the right moments so that's a good point too. // 9

Overall Impression: I really like this album and it's really inspiring to make your own music. In comparison to their other albums I'd have to say I'm missing something and that is a song which you can listen to a thousand times and still not get tired of it (Kryptonite, Going Down In Flames) but it's an album which you should listen to entirely a few times to really appreciate it's sound and lyrics. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy another copy because this is an album you should really have in your collection. // 8

More 3 Doors Down reviews rating latest review