MindOverMind Review

Released: Jul 1, 2003
Genre: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal, Alternative Rock
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
MindOverMind Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 22, 2003

Overall Impression: As Portland Maine's 6gig returned home from touring in support of their moderately successful debut "Tincan Experiment," one fact bubbled to the surface: that they've established themselves as one of today's most promising bands. With that promise, 6gig has created a second album that is a testament to their growth and determination. "MindOverMind," 6gig's long-awaited second album, opens with a sound of a band coming-of-age: rock-solid, certain, serious and unrepentant. "I've twisted myself inside out and back again/hated myself when I was my only friend" front man Walter Craven proclaims on the album's first single "Free." Giving thanks on "Proud" will also have radio execs standing up and taking a listen. With "Space Suit" 6gig briefly returns us to the experience of "Tincan Experiment" before launching into the heavy, yet melodic, "Whose Side Are You On?" The layered guitars, catchy melody and soaring chorus are all there: "Things that you said to me/I heard what you did/crept under my skin/the things that you do disgust me." The harsh sincerity, with a bittersweet twist, of "Take Me With You" (which is perhaps the best track on the release) alongside the broken trust of "Words (Last Summer)" and the hypnotic guitar work on "Let Myself Down" places "MindOverMind" on a short list of second albums that fulfill the promise of successful follow-ups. 6gig has laid it out for all of us to hear and the consequences are magnificent. To their credit, all the songs on "MindOverMind" sound stylistically heavier. The recording was produced, engineered and mixed by the legendary Matt Wallace (Sugarcult, Deftones, Faith No More). Additionally, the world-renowned Bob Ludwig's Gateway Mastering Studios put the finishing touches on this masterpiece. With Craven's melodic vocals/lyrics along with the infiltration of heavier guitar chords, it sets it apart from its predecessor. The bottom line is that this is the best album I've heard since, well, "Tincan Experiment." // 10

More 6gig reviews rating latest review