A vs. Monkey Kong Review

8.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
A vs. Monkey Kong Reviewed by: CitizenErased98, on april 29, 2004

Sound: This album is less mature in sound than A's latest offering - "Hi-Fi Serious". Songs such as Monkey Kong and Don't be punks show A to be much more of a punk band than later songs have suggested. Most of the songs are upbeat and great fun, I love lake tahoe and Down on the Floor being examples of A's ability to create great feel good, catchy songs. I'm not too sure about some of the dodgy voice effects like those used on Monkey Kong though. // 10

Lyrics: Most A fans will have learnt not to expect the most deep and meaningful lyrics but this is not what A are about. "The old folks are losers, They can't work computers" from the brilliant Old Folks is an example of the simplistic yet funny and surprisingly effective lyrics Jason Perry comes up with. I am convinced most of their effect is because of his great voice; kind of a weird contrast between Rod Stewart and Perry Farrell. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I don't think this album is as memorable as Hi-Fi Serious but is well worth looking into if you like up tempo, fun music. The lyrics can get on your nerves if you're in the wrong mood but if you've got the cash, go out and support this great british band. I would definitely buy it again if I managed to lose it. // 10

More A reviews rating latest review
+ How Ace Are Buildings 7.3 06/22/2006