Death Is Swallowed In Victory Review

artist: A Breath Before Surfacing date: 09/30/2011 category: compact discs
A Breath Before Surfacing: Death Is Swallowed In Victory
Released: 2008
Genre: Death Metal, Deathcore, Progressive
This album was one of my first experience to the deathcore scene, and it was a good start. This was their only album released cause they split up.
 4.2
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Death Is Swallowed In Victory Reviewed by: axeldarkman420, on september 30, 2011

Sound: So, I was surfing Youtube when I came across a "Death metal vs. Deathcore" video and this band's song "Withering" caught my attention. It was really sick, it reminded me of At The Gates riffige mixed with some hardcore attitude. After the little snippet of the song, I went out and found the bastard of an album and popped it in to my computer. "DAMN!" is all that I said after the first track. I finally found a band that was like this, with out the gay, emo clean singing found in most of this genre's bands. So, first off I'll talk about the cover art. It's pretty f--king cool, it's like a sea beast thing fighting a ship. Not too exciting if I'm just talking about it, but it's rad if your looking at it. Okay, enough about that. Next are the guitars. This record has riffs and breakdowns. Like I said earlier in the review, it's the standard At The Gates riffige with the hardcore attitude. And since I like both genres, this applies to me it a great way. This band only has 1 guitarist and they make up for it with technicality and they must record two guitars cause it sounds really melodic at times. So this is a band that can be really good with only one guitar (also Veil Of Maya). Most of the songs start out with a catchy riff that sets the pace for the record so you know what your getting. The only song I didn't like was "Summoning The Lord Of The Pit", cause it didn't really help the CD, they should have just made it part of the first track. There isn't much I can say about the bass other than it's following the guitar, but that's cool I guess, the guitar is doing some sick shit anyways. The drummer is really competent and solid. He can blast beat, D-beat, and just keep a really steady beat that sounds good. The drums sound really triggered, but I like a nice produced sound sometimes. The only thing that falls short is that he does a slower beat with a riff that would have sounded sick if he was going fast. The production is really good, nicely produced without sounding too fake, the drums sound sharp and so do the guitars. I just wish the album was a little bit longer. // 9

Lyrics: Lastly, the vocalist is a pretty standard vocalist for deathcore, he has the lows, he can do screams/shouts. Not much else I can say about him. There also isn't much I can say about the lyrics, a little generic. I guess it's your fair share of tough guy lyrics found in the deathcore genre/scene. He's got good highs, mids and lows, but I just can't understand what he's saying half the time. // 6

Overall Impression: This album was one of my first experience to the deathcore scene, and it was a good start. I listened to all the big name deathcore bands too: Suicide Silence, Job For A Cowboy, Whitechapel, etc. But this was I guess you could call it an "underground" band. This was their only album released cause they split up. I love everything about the album, I just wish it was longer. If it got lost or stolen, I'd try and find it, or I'd have to download it. // 7

Comments