For Those Who Have Heart Review

a day to remember: For Those Who Have Heart
Release Date: Jan 23, 2007
Label: Victory
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Heavy Metal, Emo
One second they're blasting the most melodic pop-punk this side of TRL, and the next, they're channeling the depths of hell with acerbic growling and heavy breakdowns.
For Those Who Have Heart Reviewed by: loralie, on november 11, 2008

Sound: a day to remembers ability to combine singing, screaming, breakdowns, and great lyrics is just amazing, not to mention their stage presence. I immediately fell in love with a day to remember when they were on tour opening for the devil wears prada and silverstein. Jeremy Mckinnon voice is outstanding, weather it be screaming or singing, he is great at transitioning from one to the other very melodically. a great example of that last statement would be the last minute of monument. One of the softer songs on the album, "the price we pay" is very calm, but definitely not a let down, the lyrics are just one sentence repeated with some nice piano and calm guitar in the background. then on the other hand, you have "a shot in the dark" or "speak of the devil" which happens to be one of their more hardcore songs. // 10

Lyrics: All of these songs on the CD are high energy and fun. The lyrics are not just nonsense and actually do have meanings behind them. The majority of the songs are very easy to relate to and Jeremy Mckinnon has great clarity in everything he says including his screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: I can honnestly say that I love every track on this cd, but of course I have my favorites. The songs that I enjoy most on this CD would have to be: Speak Of The Devil - because everything about it just mixes so well, with the instruments and the lyrics and of course the way the lyrics are sung it just has great blend in general. The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle - amazing amazing amazing amazing. definitely one of the top songs of the album. everything works great together and this song just has that effect of making you feel better. in my opinion this song has the best guitar and vocals. Colder Than My Heart If You Can Imagine - another one of the top songs in my opinion. this song's easy to relate to and has a great breakdown. A Shot In The Dark - as well as the last two, one of the top songs. best lyrics in my opinion. this song is just very well put together. Start The Shooting - I love this song. amazing intro and the sudden changes from screaming to singing is just all around great. I highly recommend this cd, and I actually have to tons of my friends and the majority of them liked it very much. so, go get it! // 10

For Those Who Have Heart Reviewed by: Thnikkamann, on february 04, 2008

Sound: The first song I heard by this band was "The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle" on their PureVolume page, and immediately I was hooked. I got their older CD, And Their Name Was Treason, from a friend, but I didn't really like it as much, becuase it was too punk. So I went out to Borders and bought their newest one, the on with "The Plot," For Those Who Have Heart. This is the perfect album for anyone who loves post-hardcore or hardcore. They have a great mix of singing and screaming, with some really good guitar work in the background. The breakdowns on this album are good for the most part, but there are a couple that are strangely played. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for the most part are good, occasionally there are some bad lines that don't fit in with the song. They're mostly your typical post-hardcore lyrics, put together and worded well. The singer's voice is good sounding, if sometimes a little too high for what he's trying to do. The screams and singing are well blended into a great sounding mix, and the background vocals are very well put together, if also sometimes too high. // 9

Overall Impression: Here's what I think about the individual songs: 01. Fast Forward To 2012 - this is a great opener to the album, with a good beat so start out with. It goes from a great punk song to a brutal breakdown in the course of 10 seconds, with really good lyrics. 02. Speak Of The Devil - speak of the Devil is a nice followup to Fast Forward To 2012. It has a good mix of screaming and singing. The guitar work is good on this song. 03. The Danger In Starting A Fire - this song has the best breakdown on the entire album, even if the intro is poorly put together. This is a good song, one of my favorite on the album. 04. The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle - the first one that I heard by A Day To Remember, and it's probably my favorite on the album. It uses great guitar playing mixed with very well written lyrics to make a great song. 05. Monument - on this song, it has great guitar work and great background singing. The lyrics are sound, and it has a really cool outro. One of the better songs, although it gets old if you listen to it a lot. 06. The Price We Pay - this is a good acoustic song, with a good use of piano, even though the lyrics on this song are not too great. The singing is also not too good. Probably one of my least favorite on this CD. 07. Colder Than My Heart, If You Can Imagine - this song is kind of slow to start, with an intro that reminds me of Niki FM by Hawthorne Hieghts, but it quickly gets better. The gang vocals on this song are well put together. The singing on this is what I mentioned before about being too high for their own good. 08. Show 'Em The Ropes - quick paced song with a good breakdown in the middle. It starts off really quick and doesn't slow down. The verse is a huge breakdown, and the lyrics fit well with the song. 09. A Shot In The Dark - this song has the best intro riff on the album. It has a good verse, but it doesn't blend well with the chorus. The breakdown on this is probably second best, after the Danger of Starting a Fire. Not one of the best on the CD. 10. Here's To The Past - the intro to this song reminds me a little of Senses Fail. After that, there's a kind of dumb only drum part, but it gets better. The vocals are pretty good, and the tempo changes sound good with each other. 11. I Heard It's The Softest Thing Ever - this song starts off slow, but the jumps straight into a breakdown. The guitar work on this is superb, as are the vocals. They use a perfect mix of high screaming, growls, and vocals to make this an excellent song. 12. Start The Shooting - the perfect way to end the album. It starts off with a great strumming part, into a clean vocals and a palm mute part. MY favorite part of the album is on this one: during the chorus, the background vocals echoing regular singing are so well put together, it gives me the chills. It ends with just the background vocals doing the echo, the perfect ending to the album. This is one of the best albums I have heard this year, and I listen to it very often. A must get if you are a fan of post-hardcore or hardcore. // 10

For Those Who Have Heart Reviewed by: Insomnia69, on september 27, 2010

Sound: Let me start off by just saying, this is my first review of a CD, ever, but we'll see what will come from this. :D I'll be reviewing each song off the album, enjoy. 01. The Downfall Of Us All: very catchy intro riff, nothin' but good chugging in the beginning. Nice chorus with a nice taste of punk on the side, considering from the gang vocals in the bridge and at the end. 02. My Life For Hire: my favorite track off the album, this is probably the song I play every time I tune my guitar to drop C. Amazing chorus with a bad ass bridge. "THIS IS A BATTLEGROUND!" 03. I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?: I like it, there's nothing really to say or complain about this song, just a very nice track off the album, featuring the vocalist of The Devil Wears Prada. 04. NJ Legion Iced Tea: one of their most punk songs on the album, catchy chorus, one of those songs everyone would love to hear. 05. Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End: possibly the most hardcore track off the album, the intro riff is gives an eerie feeling. My favorite breakdown off the album, next to My Life For Hires breakdown. 06. Have Faith In Me: probably the most mainstream song A Day To Remember has ever made. This song was alright, I honestly think that it was the weakest song off the album song. 07. Welcome To The Family: excellent song, somewhat my most favorite chorus from the album. Seems like the kind of chorus that would get stuck in your head for a few weeks. Until you find another A Day To Remember song that is equally addicting. Another cool breakdown too. 08. Homesick: I love this song! The chorus makes you miss your family and loved ones, well, that is if you're not with them. 09. Holdin' It For The Underground: my second favorite track off the album, the main riff reminds me a little bit of Blink 182 for odd some reason, but the rest after that sounds like ADTR, haha. Good song. 10. You Already Know What You Are: short song, should have been longer, but I like it, especially the breakdown. The song's the kind of song to get the crowd hyped and ready to fuck shit up. 11. Another Song About The Weekend: and lastly, my third favorite song, the song relates to my life so much. I like it. Another nice breakdown too. 12. If It Means A Lot To You: the only acoustic song of Homesick. Features the vocalist of Sierra Kusterbeck from Versa Emerge. Their ambient sound together sounds amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a perfect balance between not over doing the whole "I love you" thing, and the "I hate you, I hope you die" sort of thing. Can't really say anything about the lyrics really, but all I know that the album has great lyrics. Catchy too! But not enough to say, "Wow I hear this song EVERYWHERE, I'm sick of it..." // 8

Overall Impression: This is really the first album I've heard from A Day To Remember, probably my favorite too. Seems like all the songs could be top singles. If my CD copy was stolen, I would buy it right away, but on iTurnes, because my CD copy would eventually get stolen by some other person again. // 9

More A Day To Remember reviews rating latest review