Homesick Review

a day to remember: Homesick
Released: Feb 3, 2009
Genre: Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, Melodic Hardcore
Label: Victory
It was produced by Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory and mixed by Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.3
 9.1
 9.4
Homesick Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 04, 2009

Sound: The "heaviest pop punk band" returns with their third full length, featuring their pop punk sound that adds screams, growls, and breakdowns. With this notable release, ADTR is a band to watch this year. A Day To Remember has been around for a little more than 5 years now, playing show after show to make a name for themselves, the typical story of most bands out there these days. "What makes ADTR different from those bands"" is probably the first question that comes to someone"s mind. ADTR has boasted on various merch that they are the heaviest pop punk band, which can be backed up by their music. The band"s sound, for those who aren"t familiar with them, features the pop punk-like vocals of Jeremy McKinnon with a pop punk sound. The main difference from most pop punk bands is that they throw in post-hardcore screams and breakdowns to their songs. With the release of "Homesick," the band"s sound has not changed much from past releases, but ADTR defiantly has established more variety in their songs. The album opens with "The Downfall Of Us All," an anthem of sorts that showcases their pop punk-like sound. The song opens with group vocals that mimic the guitar riff that follows the vocals. While cheesy, it shows off the band"s humorous side to their music. The song features a short amount of screaming with a not so heavy breakdown, but it really appeals to any fan of pop punk music in general. Right after the opener, "My Life For Hire" starts up with a moving guitar line that is backed by power chords and leads into a short riff that backs McKinnon"s vocals. The song continues on like this until the drums start leading up to the breakdown where McKinnon screams "This is a battleground!" and is followed by the heavy breakdown. The song then continues on like it was before the chaotic breakdown. The next track, "I"m Made Of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of"", features gang vocals, a fast tempo, and a melodic chorus. The breakdown has a very cool transition before it where gang vocals make a rising pitch "Ohhhhh" to a brief silence where you can hear someone clearing their throat leading to duel screaming between McKinnon and The Devil Wears Prada"s Mike Hranica. The duel screaming breakdown is actually pretty awesome. The next song, "NJ Legion Iced Tea," is a melodic pop-punk song that is one of the stronger tracks on the album. The vocals and guitar riffs really balance out, and it"s just a great song overall. Another favorite, "Mr. Highway"s Thinking About The End," is a pretty heavy track. The song consists of mostly screams and heavy guitar riffs, not to mention a super heavy breakdown (for this band at least). The track really showcases the band"s ability to play some heavy music, seeing that they tour with some bands that are considered heavier than they are (I.e. The Acacia Strain, Suicide Silence). "Have Faith In Me" is another track that really shows the band"s light pop punk side. McKinnon"s vocals are one of the highlights of the track as he really shows that he is a good singer. "Welcome To The Family" is sure to become a favorite of the fans of heavier music, as it features Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain during the breakdown. It is also another one of those heavy tracks that the band hasn"t really been showing off on previous releases. "You Already Know What You Are" is a great metal track. You might mistake it for something from The Acacia Strain in the beginning of the track. The track, only about a minute and a half long, really shows the band"s heavy side, along with a darker pop punk chorus. "Another Song About The Weekend" is a cheesy pop punk song that seems like filler. It is one of the few songs on this album that I just didn"t care for. The album ends strongly with the pop punk ballad "If It Means A Lot To You." The song starts with acoustic guitars and McKinnon"s soft vocals, soon to be joined by VersaEmerge"s Sierra Kusterbeck. Kusterbeck"s vocals add a pleasant touch to the track that really shows emotion and meaning. The song adds drums and builds up to gang vocals that show that ADTR can truly end an album with a bang. Overall, the band showcases a wide variety of sounds on this album, but their sound is definitely what defines them from other bands out there. // 8

Lyrics: McKinnon is both a great vocalist and great screamer in every track on the album. Some stand out moments for vocals are showcased in "Have Faith In Me" and "If It Means A Lot To You." His screaming is really showcased in "Mr. Highway"s Thinking About The End" and "Welcome To The Family." McKinnon is a promising vocalist for the band, and without him, their sound might fall apart. "Homesick" has some pretty basic lyrics, but their simplicity isn"t a downside at all. Most of the songs focus on being on the road and coming back home. Some of my favorite lyrics come from "If It Means A Lot To You": "Tell me something sweet to get me by, 'Cause I can't come back home till they're singing La, la la la, la la la, Till everyone is singing" Overall, the vocals and lyrics combine to be one of the album"s strong points. // 9

Overall Impression: Impression: A Day To Remember has been working for five years now as a band with constant touring to get their name out there, "Homesick" is defiantly a chronicle of this "journey" that they have been embarking on. If you haven"t been on the ADTR bandwagon yet, hop on now. This album is defiantly a pinnacle for the band, as they continue on their touring. Everyone should be keeping an eye on this band over the next year or two. They should definitely be going somewhere in the near future. // 9

Homesick Reviewed by: HWFG1, on march 18, 2009

Sound: From the opening seconds of the CD, the band showcases it's unique sound. The chugging guitar guitar riff that comes in behind the opening chants quickly leads into a pop-punkesque vocal delivery with a fresh guitar sound as compared to most Post-Hardcore bands around today in "The Downfall Of Us All". "My Life For Hire" opens up with a slightly more pop sound on the guitar, but, the verse enters with a catchy, almost breakdown-esque guitar riff, and a solid delivery on all the instruments. Halfway through the song, there is a breakdown, which features a rather prominent stray away from the pop-punk sound of the band into a more metalcore sound. "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" is probably their most commercially-accessible song on the album, and features Mike Hranica of The Devil Wears Prada on vocals. It's rather catchy, but it's not one of those songs that get stuck in your head for days on end. "Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End" begins on a sad tone, and is one of the few songs that are more of the metalcore genre than of pop-punk. "Have Faith In Me" opens with a mellow guitar riff behind the drums, and the bass backs it all up nicely. It's one of the catchier songs on the album. "Welcome To My Family" features Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain on the vocals, and is different from the rest of the CD, genrewise, being almost straight-up metalcore. "Homesick", the title track, doesn't waste any time kicking your face in. It's rather energetic and fast-paced compared to the rest of the songs on the CD. "Holdin' It Down For The Underground" sounds like it was heavily influenced by bands like The Devil Wears Prada (which isn't a bad thing, mind you). "You Already Know What You Are", the shortest song on the CD, gets it's message across fairly well in it's 1:28 span. "Another Song About The Weekend" features the most mellow vocals by Jeremy McKinnon on the CD (aside from "If It Means A Lot To You"), and is backed-up nicely by an active drum beat, and a rather catchy breakdown halfway through the song. The closing track, "If It Means A Lot To You", features Sierra Kusterbeck of VersaEmerge on the vocals (along with McKinnon), and features only guitar and singing for the first half of the song. The drums and bass enter with about a minute left in the song and lead into a chant of "La. La-la-la. La-la-la. Now Everybody's Singing!" to close the CD. // 8

Lyrics: Jeremy McKinnon has an amazing voice, and proves it with his singing on this record, though, his screams aren't quite as good, in my opinion. The lyrics deal with things people can relate to, but aren't delivered in the conventional way. The guest vocalists enhanced the songs they performed on wonderfully, and added a new element to the CD, keeping it from becoming too repetitive or boring. // 9

Overall Impression: Homesick is not your typical pop-punk album. A Day To Remember have created a formula for combining metalcore and pop-punk and making it sound decent, and they use it well. However, it does start to get a little repetitive on the CD for the first 5 or so tracks. The addition of clean guitars and slower parts add a new element that keeps the second half fresh, though. The CD is well worth the listen, and is worth a purchase, in my opinion. // 8

Homesick Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2009

Sound: A Day To Remember just like in their other CDs have a very diverse sound they have some nice singing songs and other songs that are brutally hardcore.Their guest vocalists are a very good addition to the already good cd. The story behind this album is exaclty as the title suggests they are homesick like in the song "homesick" he's talking to his mom "hey mom I wrote you some slow songs, tell dad I'm just fine, we had to choose we made our moves, I bet we make you so nervous". This album was their best in my opinion. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very diverse because they can be emo when they want to be and sometimes they can be heavy and dark. the vocalists screams are really good and his soft voice is contradictory to his screaming but not in a bad way. Mike Hranica of The Devil Wears Prada is a guest vocalist in track three "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" this song is kinda emo but not lol, really good vocals and guitar.. and right before the breakdown your hear Mike clear his throat "ahem everybodies out to get me!" I thought it was funny. Vincent Bennett The Acacia Strain makes an appearance in track nine "Welcome to the Family" this is probably the heaviest song on the album not only with the hard guitar chugs but also the lyrics such as "your life's a contradiction" really good song. And Sierra Kusterbeck of Versa Emerge sings in track 12 "if it means a lot to you, I'm not familiar with Versa Emerge but she definitly has a good voice and it helps make this song a really good soft song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can't really compare with other artists because a day to remember is hardcore pop-punk that's about as original as it gets. I think the most impressive song from the album is "Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End" because of it's awesome breakdown "disrespect Your Surroundings!". I love the contrast between the heavy verses and the pleasant choruses. I don't really hate anything about the CD it's really good. // 10

Homesick Reviewed by: metabolicmaggot, on february 16, 2009

Sound: Amazing album. I have the full ADTR discography and I've been blown away with all of their work. I'm a big hardcore/deathcore fan so something with singing is a huge change for me but ADTR blends the singing and screaming to a point where I'm comfortable playing it through the car stereo. Homesick is another masterpiece from ADTR. "Mr. Highway's... " breakdown is the heaviest I've heard in awhile. Also some very nice upbeat happier sounding songs like "I'm made of wax.." and "Homesick". I also LOVED the acoustic song featuring the girl from Versa Emerge I beleive. I've listened to it the most of the whole album. Great build up and catchy lyrics. MY favorite song of the album would have to be "Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End". Nice clean opening which leads into a crushing riff that just adds to the rest of the song. And like I said the breakdown is completly epic. My least favorite song would have to be "Homesick". Just didn't like it. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are great.Love all the pre-breakdown lyrics like "Disrespect your surrondings" and "This is the battleground". A day to remember does a nice job of incorprating both meaningful and loving lyrics with dark and scary lyrics. Jeremy has an amazing voice. Love it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression is simply an amazing album. Love it. Highly recommend it. I got it leaked a couple weeks before it came out but if I have a chance I will defintly buy it. It's defintly worth every penny. I sure hope they come out with some more merch though. Haven't seen a lot from them yet. // 10

Homesick Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2012

Sound: I am a huge fan of A Day To Remember for about a year now and "Homesick" was the second album I purchased and listened to, first being "For Those Who Have Heart". I must say, it was the best choice I have ever made musically-wise. This band never ceases to amaze me with their sound. I was really anxious and worried to listen to "Homesick" because their lineup has changed a bit since "For Those Who Have Heart". But I knew I was wrong right when I popped the CD in my car and the beginning chant in "The Downfall Of Us All" kicked in. It shows A Day To Remember can be light-hearted and playful and still be able to pull off their job like not too many people can do now in the music industry. Their sound is a perfect blend of punk/pop punk/metalcore. I would have never guessed those three genres could be mixed so well together. They incorporate their punkish sound with breakdowns and sick screams/growls and amazing back-up vocals. They prove it to be an excellent and well-thought sound with such songs as "Mr Highway's Thinking About The End" with a clean intro and slowing building with a open palm-muted guitar behind the clean and then both guitars exploding with Jeremy screaming "Wake up!", which so happens to be my alarm now. Other songs, such as "My Life For Hire", "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry. What Are You Made Of?", "The Downfall Of Us All", "You Already Know What You Are", "Holdin' It Down For The Underground", "Welcome To The Family" and even though there isn't any screaming in it, "Another Song About The Weekend" has a really catchy, poppy breakdown. The band also shows their soft side and very effectively might I add. I'm not a very lovey-dovey kind of person and I like to play and sing songs that are a bit violent or dark, but "Have Faith In Me" definitely opened my eyes to a whole new variety of songs I could learn, including the song itself; it is really over-played now but hey, it just shows how good the song is, right? More songs that A Day To Remember really pulled off are "Another Song About The Weekend", "NJ Legion Iced Tea", "The Downfall Of Us All", "If It Means A Lot To You", and one that hits really close to home for me, "Homesick". The album was produced by Chad Gilbert, Andrew Wade, and Chris Rubey. They did fine but what I was really amazed about was who it was produced by, Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage (one of my favorite bands). The first thing I noticed about the album was how unique the guitars sounded, but how familiar it sounded as well. Anyone who does not know too much of Adam D, he is a master at what he does. He can take any guitar and give it a sick tone. The album sounded so clean and professional that I could feel myself vibrate in my car when the breakdowns occurred. Bottom line, the sound and quality of this album is beyond a ten for me. I love all the songs equally and I know every word to every song, the songs are catchy, and vocals are top-notch. Perfect job, guys! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little different, but nonetheless have the same message: To going on tour and missing someone, being in love and being wronged, or even just basic "f*ck you" kind of lyrics. I can relate to their songs. But what leaves me in awe is how Jeremy delivers it. His voice can tear a man down and make him mosh at the same time. I don't really care what anyone says, sure their lyrics all have the same message but a lot of people can relate, right? And that's what lyrics are supposed to do. I personally enjoy that they keep it original. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums I have ever listened to. It delivered right when the first song came on, and that's really rare for me. Sometimes I'll even skip a CD's first song, but with this CD I never want to skip a song. Everything about the CD was great to me, even the album cover. I got the Special Edition of "Homesick" and it came with acoustic renditions of "Homesick" and "Another Song About The Weekend". Right when you think they're done giving you hit songs, they hit you with two more. Perfect job by A Day To Remember, in my opinion. If I lost this CD, I would buy two more so I wouldn't have to worry about losing one and not having another. If any song had to pop out, it would have to be "Downfall Of Us All" just because the intro was so unique and humorous, but as you listen to it more you take it seriously and just think of how original it is. "NJ Legion Iced Tea" is also a great song that just pops out, the guitar riff is my favorite off of that album. // 10

Homesick Reviewed by: dixie_nourmous, on february 13, 2009

Sound: A Day to Remember has made some changes in my opinion. Some good and some not so good. Some people think that ADTR has "sold out" but I don't think they have. They are just changing things up. 01.The Downfall Of Us All: I personally don't like the opening guitar riff. It sounds very poppy. It does have a great chorus though. Everything seems the blend together well. Overall it's a decent track. 7/10 02.My Life For Hire: I like this track alot. I really like how they put some screaming in behind the singing during the verses. It sounded cool. Good chorus and the breakdown is awesome! Great song in my opinion. 8/10 03.I'm Made of Wax Larry, What are You Made Of?: this is my second favorite song on the album. The vocals and guitar work are great. I like the breakdown too. it's more original than most breakdowns that just hit the bottom string and say it's so br00t4l! Hahaha it's funny at the end. Good song. 9/10 04.NJ Legion Iced Tea: the only thing I really like about this song is the chorus. it's catchy and I like the lyrics. Ok song. 5/10 05.Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End: my favorite song on the cd. It has really amazing guitar work in the verses. This is the song you have been waiting for on the cd. The vocals are amazing. The drums are great also but they need to be louder! Amazing chorus. I like how in the chorus there are many different vocal layers. it's almost spacey in some sort. I loooooove the breakdown! "Disrespect Your Surroundings!" The drums and guitar match up perfectly. Amazing song! 10/10 06.Have Faith In Me: ehhhhhhhh... fail. This is the worst song in my opinion. I don't like it at all. It sounds like a mix of the Jonas Brothers and ADTR... These songs are why people say ADTR have "sold out". Very bad song. 3/10 07.Welcome To The Family: this is probably the heaviest song on the cd. it's put together really well. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the song that has the vocalist from Acacia Strain in it. The chorus sounds pretty cool with the piano in it. Good breakdown but it's too short! Good song. 8/10 08.Homesick: pretty good track. Very sped up in comparison to the other songs. Best drum track on the cd. It reminds me of Travis Barker. (Yay Blink-182 is reunited! ) Good song but not the best. 7/10 09.Holdin' It Down For The Underground: it's alright. I do really like the vocals on this song. But I haven't listened to it as much as the other songs yet so I can't give a good review on it. By Just listening to it once I'll give it a 7/10 10.You Already Know What You Are: WOW! I reeeeallly like this song haha. it's great. Pretty heavy too. The chorus is like a standard ADTR chorus. The breakdown is amazing! I like the noise right before it starts lol. I have no idea what it is though. The ending is very abrupt and not what I expected but it's all good. Really good track. 9/10 11.Another Song About The Weekend: it's ok. I personally don't like it. it's to poppy for me... 5/10 12.If It Means a Lot To You: the begging reminds me of a John Mayer song. it's pretty good for the acoustic song on the album. Some lady sings on it too, it sounds good. There is one thing that really annoys me about this song though. There is a guitar part that starts at 30 seconds and goes on for 15 seconds that is the guitarist just hitting the same note over and over! It doesnt't sound good at all. // 7

Lyrics: The vocals on all of the tracks are really good! Jeremy's screams are really great. His lows are amazing and surprisingly deep in comparison to his singing voice. Not many high screams on this one. His sung vocals are really amazing. His singing voice is really great also. The lyrics are pretty typical but good. I really like the lyrics on I'm Made Of Wax Larry. "So run like hell, sleep with one eye open You can forgive or forget You will tell everyone the damage done Too bad you can't stop me You can't stop me now" I just think they are cool. // 9

Overall Impression: This isn't my favorite album from them but it does have some very good songs. Overall I think "For Those Who Have Heart" was a much better cd. I can't listen to this one without switching songs like I could the rest. My favorite songs on the CD are I'm Made Of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of?, Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End, Welcome To The Family, and You Already Know What You Are. Throughout the whole CD the thing I liked the most was the vocal work. Some of the guitar part were repetitive from other songs they have written. If it was stolen that means my computer would be stolen because I bought it form itunes... so that would really be bad if I lost it hahaha. // 8

Homesick Reviewed by: ismellfunny13, on march 04, 2009

Sound: When I first heard this band they sounded so different to other bands I had heard before though some of their older stuff sounded a bit generic. Though at first I thought more of the same until I gave it a few listens and I love it. Also as I was checking the bands website all the time to see if their were any updates on the album I noticed they had studio updates which were hilarious. A Day To Remember add different genres of music from metalcore and breakdowns with pop-punk and catchy choruses. Though in my opinion they are more creative and diverse with their music I'm getting sick of breakdowns they all sound the same they should try mix it up more in the future // 9

Lyrics: I tend not to really get into the lyrics though I had a look through some and though sometimes they can be clich they also have interesting dark lyrics and soft lyrics that fit in with the music. Jeremy's singing and screaming have gotten better with every release. There is also a few guest singers on "Homesick" like Mike Hranica from The Devils Wear Prada on "I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What are You Made of?", Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain on "Welcome to the Family" and Sierra Kusterbeck of VersaEmerge "If It Means a Lot to You" // 9

Overall Impression: The only band I can really compare them to is themselves because though can be generic at times I haven't heard many bands that mix the genres that they do. My favorite songs on the album are probably some that people hate the most from the album which are "Have Faith In Me", "NJ Leigon Iced Tea", "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" and "My Life For Hire". I love the catchiness on the album which is one of the things that got me hooked on this band and that in my opinion musically they are more creative. Sadly there is on downside which is some of the breakdowns sound the same. If I lost this album I would certainly buy this again and buy another copy just in case I lost it again. // 9

Homesick Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on may 15, 2009

Sound: A Day To Remember have never really stuck me as a very unique band. Sure their Victory Records debut, "For Those Who Have Heart" was fun, but it seemed to repeat itself, using open palm mute breakdowns galore. But this time the band has pulled off something very interesting: an album heavy enough to keep the old school fans, and melodic enough to convert a few more pop-oriented listeners. Songs like "I'm Made Of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of?" or "NJ Legion Iced Tea" use catchy choruses to implant themselves into your brain, but what really makes this album shine is both it's hardest song (Mr. Highway's Tinking About The End)and it's softest (If It Means A Lot To You), which shhowcase this band's ability to evolve into a more mature sound while still keeping their old sound alive in the process. // 9

Lyrics: As far as lyrics go, this band is very average. They don't make you think too hard to get a song's message, and they don't just throw a bunch of random incoherrent phrases together and call it a song like most of their peers. Their subjects range from broken relationships (as always) to the very surprising ode to their parents "Homesick." And another expected trait to this album is Jeremy's powerful vocal delivery. His growls are more fierce, his singing is more melodic, and with guest spots from Mike Hranica of The Devil Wears Prada on "I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What are You Made of?", Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain on "Welcome to the Family", and Sierra Kusterbeck of VersaEmerge on "If It Means a Lot to You" this is one very good vocal album. // 10

Overall Impression: A Day To Remember have definately set themselves apart from the pack in a musical genre that doesn't give way for much originality. The guitar playing of Neil Westfall and Tom Denney has undergone a desperately needed makeover, with melody overtaking the open C palm mute style. And even when they do use a pm breakdown, they've gone beyond the pack yet again by coming up with what could surprisingly be described as "original." The only bad thing about this album was that it didn't last another hour or two! I would definately reccommend checking out this album, especially the songs "I'm Made Of Wax Larry," "My Life For Hire," "NJ Legion Iced Tea," and "If It Means A Lot To You." // 9

Homesick Reviewed by: Insomnia69, on october 07, 2010

Sound: Let me start off by just saying, this is my first review of a CD, ever, but we'll see what will come from this. :D I'll be reviewing each song off the album, enjoy. 01. The Downfall Of Us All: very catchy intro riff, nothin' but good chugging in the beginning. Nice chorus with a nice taste of punk on the side, considering from the gang vocals in the bridge and at the end. 02. My Life For Hire: my favorite track off the album, this is probably the song I play every time I tune my guitar to drop C. Amazing chorus with a bad ass bridge. "THIS IS A BATTLEGROUND!" 03. I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?: I like it, there's nothing really to say or complain about this song, just a very nice track off the album, featuring the vocalist of The Devil Wears Prada. 04. NJ Legion Iced Tea: one of their most punk songs on the album, catchy chorus, one of those songs everyone would love to hear. 05. Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End: possibly the most hardcore track off the album, the intro riff is gives an eerie feeling. My favorite breakdown off the album, next to My Life For Hires breakdown. 06. Have Faith In Me: probably the most mainstream song A Day To Remember has ever made. This song was alright, I honestly think that it was the weakest song off the album song. 07. Welcome To The Family: excellent song, somewhat my most favorite chorus from the album. Seems like the kind of chorus that would get stuck in your head for a few weeks. Until you find another A Day To Remember song that is equally addicting. Another cool breakdown too. 08. Homesick: I love this song! The chorus makes you miss your family and loved ones, well, that is if you're not with them. 09. Holdin' It For The Underground: my second favorite track off the album, the main riff reminds me a little bit of Blink 182 for odd some reason, but the rest after that sounds like ADTR, haha. Good song. 10. You Already Know What You Are: short song, should have been longer, but I like it, especially the breakdown. The song's the kind of song to get the crowd hyped and ready to fuck shit up. 11. Another Song About The Weekend: and lastly, my third favorite song, the song relates to my life so much. I like it. Another nice breakdown too. 12. If It Means A Lot To You: the only acoustic song of Homesick. Features the vocalist of Sierra Kusterbeck from Versa Emerge. Their ambient sound together sounds amazing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are a perfect balance between not over doing the whole "I love you" thing, and the "I hate you, I hope you die" sort of thing. Can't really say anything about the lyrics really, but all I know that the album has great lyrics. Catchy too! But not enough to say, "Wow I hear this song EVERYWHERE, I'm sick of it... // 9

Overall Impression: This is really the first album I've heard from A Day To Remember, probably my favorite too. Seems like all the songs could be top singles. If my CD copy was stolen, I would buy it right away, but on iTurnes, because my CD copy would eventually get stolen by some other person again. // 9

Homesick Reviewed by: xShade, on august 26, 2011

Sound: "Homesick" is the first ADTR album I've ever owned. It'd also what got into them. I remember listening to "The Downfall Of Us All" and "I'm Made Of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of?" a month or two before I actually bought the CD. A Day To Remember is a post-hardcore/pop punk band. Their songs are actually very catchy while being pretty heavy and brutal as well. To be honest though the breakdowns are pretty much open low E string chugging with maybe a few notes thrown in. While they sound good it may got old and boring very quickly, although it took me a few months of listening to the whole record to get sick of it. I end up going back and listening because the songs are actually really good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are pretty much personal lyrics. Songs like "Have Faith In Me" and "If It Means A Lot To You" are about relationships while songs like "I'm Made Of Wax Larry, What Are You Made Of?", "Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End", "Welcome To The Family" and "You Already Know What You Are" are about betrayal, revenge and basically give off that "p-ssed off" sort of vibe while still maintaining and displaying Jeremy's growls and melodic vocals. The music match perfectly with the lyrics. Catching riffs and breakdowns go surprising well together when their written by A Day To Remember. There are no guitar solos on this album. Just letting the new listeners know if it's something they wanna hear. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm not a big post-hardcore/pop punk guy. My favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold, but besides them I'm into groove metal, death metal, metalcore, and deathcore. ADTR was classified as metalcore but it was on an older album which I have yet to listen to. To be honest, this album as a whole stands out to me. It was one of the best albums I've listened to in a long time in which I've actually liked all the songs. I've also learned how to play a few of the songs on my guitar, which is great because their easy to learn as well as a lot of fun to play. I bought the Deluxe Special/Limited Edition 2 disc CD from my local Best Buy in September 2010. The cover is really cool, as well as the inside, which contains the actual "Homesick" CD with the two bonus tracks, which are the acoustic versions of "Another Song About Weekend" and "Homesick", respectively, and the DVD, which contains "The Making Of Homesick", some tour footage and one of their gigs in Switzerland, which is AMAZING. The other two "The Making Of Homesick" webisodes are on the Best Buy version of their latest album, "What Seperates Me From You". The webisodes are actually funny. It also comes with the lyrics in the booklet in the case with a lot pictures as well as pictures of fan tattoos. Overall, it's a solid album. If your looking to get into them or for a good CD album period, the GET THIS. If it were lost and/or stolen I would definitely buy a new copy of the Deluxe version. // 10

More A Day To Remember reviews rating latest review