Volatile Review

6.7
 8.1
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
Volatile Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2008

Sound: When I first bought this CD I had heard that band had recently signed to Victory Records. I bought the CD without actuallly listening to the band but when I played the first song "Superwoman" I was blown away by the technicality of each instrument but then within a minute of the song I realized that A Hero A Fake is just another generic metalcore band. In the CD there are 11 tracks and 2 instrumentals. The band try and add something original into each song by randomly putting in a 1 minute melodic interlude after a breakdown or a chorus. Superwoman was definitly a good song, but when I heard the breakdown 30 seconds into the song El Gigante I actually became angry they had blatanty stolen some of the breakdown riffs from of one of the breakdowns in Composure by August Burns Red. August Burns Red and early Misery Signals were clearly major influences for the band and there were glimpses of the ABR and MS songs in the cd. But overall still a good song. // 7

Lyrics: I wasn't very impressed by the lyrics at all. I think the singer was trying too hard too be deep and meaningful and the end result is a big mess of random feelings he's trying to express. In the first song Superwoman it starts off with a blistering scream and then a very good low growl. His low growls were some of the best I have heard from new bands recently. The singr usually tends to stick to his mid screams which get very annoying and monotone after a while so it is refreshing to hear a low growl. On the other hand I liked the clean vocals by one of the guitarist a lotas it was very clear and emotional. // 6

Overall Impression: I don't think it can compare to Metalcore giants like August Burns Red and Misery Signals as the band clearly are influenced by them. The most impressive songs are definitely Superwoman, which was a fantastci start to the album, I know I which had some very intersting melodies and vocals and finally Altered Beast. What I love about the album is the crystal clear production and the guitars tone and the low growls and clean vocals. They are clearly very talented musicians. What I hate ia how the drums are tuned, to me as a drummer they sound horrible and I was constantly thinking whilst listening to the album how it would sound with a better sounding drum set. If it was lost or stolen o be honest I wouldn't care so much and I would probably buy another Btbam cd. Overall a fairly good album from this band but they should try and improve a lot for their next album // 7

Comments