And Hell Will Follow Me Review

7.7
 8.1
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
And Hell Will Follow Me Reviewed by: skylerjames13, on august 08, 2011

Sound: Tracks: 01. And Hell Will Follow Me 02. As Black As My Heart 03. To Die In Your Arms 04. Heroin Train 05. Devil In The Closet 06. Crack In The Walls 07. Bad Dream 08. Bath In My Blood (Schizophrenia In Me) 09. Pill Head 10. Meet The Wolf 11. Serial Killer 12. When Crows Descend Upon You 13. Die Alone I really like the band. I would say they might be categorized as Doom Metal. Slow tempos generally, detuned guitars, etc. They are a band that consist of members from Type O Negative, Life Of Agony, and Biohazard. In their lyric booklet, the first page says: "In memory of Peter (Ratajczyk) Steele. 1962-2010. None More Negative" The guitars are rather heavy, and don't really have much variety actually. *Mostly* just powerchords and not really anything exciting. Though the guitar has a few standout tracks. "Heroin Train" and "Serial Killer" are simple, but catchy and interesting tracks for the guitar. Other than that, the guitars aren't very impressive, or "fun" to listen to, imo. Drums are good, keep the rhythm nice and slow for the most part, and fit the music very well. Excellent work from Type O Negative's drummer who plays on this record. All in all, it's a good record. I actually never heard of the band before, and saw the CD sitting on the shelf in Wal-Mart. I saw they had a retarded, but bada-s name, so I decided to pick it up and check it out. It was a good buy. I recommend it. // 7

Lyrics: A lot of the lyrics are about drugs, and/or are open to interpretation which I can find the drug relation in. There are cliches such as the titles of "As Black As My Heart" and "To Die In Yours Arms". But really, it's near impossible to be completely non-cliched imo. Track 1 - It's literally just a horse galloping and neighing. I think they wrote the lyrics beautifully. The way that horse neighs, it's just beautiful and captivating. Track 2 - About being empty, and having nothing left. Definitely a depressing track, though I do enjoy it. It does give the feeling of emptiness. You can hear it in his voice, you can tell he's 'given up' in a way, and hollowed out his soul as he says. "And left with a hollow soul, nothing left to save" He starts screaming/yelling "Nothing is as black as my heart" over for a while to the outro of the song. Track 3 - You can hear the despair in his voice, and the hurt. From what I've gathered, it's about wanting to be with the girl forever, and that he's dying and only he can save her. It sounds a bit suicidal. There are some interesting lines. "There's nothing more I'd like than to have you hold me/As I spill my blood on your milk white skin". Track 4 - "Heroin Train", my favourite track. It's a faster one, and as the title shows already, it's about drugs. More specifically, being a drug addict. There are some clever lines. "Can't you see the tracks on my veins/I'm riding the heroin train". Tracks can be referring to puncture holes from the heroin. If I know my drugs correctly, you can shoot heroin into yourself via needle. Now I don't want to do this for every single track, but majority of them are about suicide, drugs, and losing their love. Also possibly about mental disorders (Schizophrenia specifically) Lyrically, I am pretty impressed with these songs and lyrics. The singer is pretty good, though imo he's nothing really "amazing". He could use some variety in his singing style to be honest. It's good, but it does get boring sometimes. // 9

Overall Impression: Standout tracks would be "Serial Killer", "Heroin Train", "Bath In My Blood", "To Die In Your Arms". I really love the riffs on "Serial Killer", "Heroin Train", and "Bath In My Blood". Fun, simple, but catchy riffs and are interesting to listen to. What I hate, is that on quite a few songs, he uses an effect on his voice a lot. I don't know what it's called, sorry. But it sounds... Sort of distant. Think of "Take This Life" by In Flames. The way he sounds in the chorus when he's clean singing. If it were stolen, I would most likely buy it again. It's a decent record and I enjoyed it. I would recommend it to people who like Metal in general. It's a great album. Though, I might buy something else if something else catches my eyes, but if you can spare around $13-14, then definitely get it. // 7

Comments