eMOTIVe Review

a perfect circle: eMOTIVe
Released: Nov 2, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
"eMOTIVe" is a slight dent in the armor of Maynard's nearly flawless career as a frontman and it's a mere detour for A Perfect Circle, who will hopefully get back on course.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.1
 7.9
 8.2
eMOTIVe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2004

Sound: This album is unlike any other A Perfect Circle album in the fact that it is a collection of cover songs. Therefore they only write 2 songs on the album. (Passive is a true APC song). A Perfect Circle does amazing things with each song. If you have heard any of the originals versions of these songs, APC takes each of them and makes a mind-blowing interpretation, (and in some cases, surpassing the orignial). I can't say I love all the songs, but generally the album has a great sound. Maynards voice carries the album, and its a real showcase to his vocal talent. Billy provided vocals on some tracks to, which was very enjoyable because he is usually overshadowed by Maynard. Typical APC sound. Excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Since APC did not actually do much writing on the album, it is hard to rate the lyrics. They picked powerful sounds with good messages to cover, but some seemed like they needed more. This is more critical of the original writers rather then the band. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it was a very good album, and an interesting effort by the band. Very political, very moving and very powerful. Although I didn't like the exicution on some songs, the covers of "Imagine," "Whats Going On," and "Fiddle And The Drum" were excellent. Passive was a great original song by the band, and "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To the Rhythm Of The War Drums" a great remix of "Pet." If you are a fan of the band then this a must buy, if this will be your first APC album then look elsewhere, because this album isnt for everyone. // 8

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: draintheKORN908, on december 10, 2004

Sound: When I first saw some of the ads for this CD I thought it was going to be a lot like Thirteenth Step... boy was I wrong. This CD has some great songs and there are the ones that sound like sh--t. This CD is mostly covers of some other songs though and an anti-war CD. This CD was made because Maynard was apparantly against the war in anywhere. It has some very cool sounds and is very experimental for A Perfect Circle. They brought lots of different types of music into it and also some new instruments. Overall it just has a creepy, haunting sound to it. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics of this is mostly other people's but it's mostly anti-war. Otherwise Maynard has some interesting lyrics (Go ahead and play dead/I know that you can hear this/Go ahead and play dead/Why can't you turn and face me/You fu--ing disappoint me) and they are creepy like most of this CD seems to be. Maynard's singing ability never fails to disappoint me. The lyrics may not be the greatest on some songs but Maynard also makes the song a lot more interesting to listen to because he can make his voice sound like many different things. // 8

Overall Impression: Here's a review of all the songs on the CD: 01. Annihilation - This is a cover with a very creepy sound to it. It's basically Maynard whispering then near the end throwing in some acoustic guitars. A great opener on the CD and not really bad song. [8/10] 02. Imagine - A cover of the old John Lennon anti-war song. It's a really cool song and is a giant improvement from the old version. This is one of the key songs that actually make this CD worth buying. [10/10] 03. (What't So Funny About?) Peace, Love, And Understanding - another cover. This is a very iffy song. It has a guitar part the seems a lot like something the band would make up buy the lyrics don't fit it too well. And the whole thing sounds kinda cheesy anyway. [5/10] 04. What's Going On - Guess what... another cover! This is a crappy song. It has a weird guitar part and extremely hippie style lyrics. A genuine piece of crap. [2/10] 05. Passive - An original song! It is a really good song at has a creepy meaning at the center. Great vocals by Maynard and a great guitar part. [9/10] 06. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie - This is a very strange song. It can't really tell if its supposed to be heavy-metal or like switzerland accordion thing. The voice is the only thing that keeps this alive. It's a cover too. [6/10] 07. People Are People - This song is so annoying (people are people/so why should it be/you and I shouldn't get along)! It's like something you would here on some islands in like the Carribbean. Yes its a cover. [3/10] 08. Freedom Of Choice - This is a 80s song: the over reverbed vocals and a sound that's like should be live but its studio. Yea it's cover. It has a good meaning at heart but it junk. [5/10] 09. Let's Have A War - This song is like techno and like very soft rock combined. It has a really cool sound but its weirder than hell. This is another cover. [7/10] 10. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums - It's an original song in a way but its not. This is basically a remix (a very long remix) of their song from Thirteenth Step "Pet". It is awesome though and also check out the music video for it. It's funny but very anti-Bush. [9/10] 11. When The Levee Breaks - Very bad song and its a cover. It's supposed to be blues or jazz or something but its bad. [1/10] 12. The Fiddle And The Drum - I was impressed with the lyrics of this song but thats what the whole song is. No drums, no guitar just Maynard and some other people. And guess what it's a another cover! This is good CD, but I suggest burning it from someone elso instead of buying it (you may end up a little disappointed if you do). It has a good meaning at heart but it backfired in a way. Overall it's a 6/10. // 8

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Let it Happen, on november 26, 2005

Sound: When first hearing this album, I was very dissapointed. I thought I was going to get a hard rock album. As it turned out, there were only three real rock songs on the album. But, of course I was dissapointed becuase I didn't know what to expect. This cd is all covers of songs that are about peace, love, war, and understanding one another. There are only two original songs on the album, and the rest are covers. The originals are rockers, they being "Passive" and "Pet." Even Pet is a remake of an older Perfect Circle song. So there's not much originality on the album. Anyway, it sounds very urgent most of the time, although the album never gets hard (with two exceptions). There is alot of acoustic guitar, and a fair share of keyboard effects. The album is sort of weird and sounds very airy most of the time. This album will definitely take some getting used to. A Perfect Circle wanted to do this album to raise awareness of the need for peace in the world. This album really sounds like no other. It is very light sounding and very weird. It's actually pretty hard to describe. This would be a great album to branch yourself out with. But for me, it wasn't really at all good, being the narrow minded person I am. Not too bad a sound I guess, but it definitely didn't appeal to me. It definitely wasn't rock music. It sounded more like something post-modern that you'd hear over a 4 dollar cup of coffee at Barnes & Nobles. // 5

Lyrics: With the exception of two original songs, none of the lyrics are original. All the lyrics are about peace and stuff like that. Some of the lyrics were amazing, like Lennon's "Imagine." Others were boring and cliche, and bordered on cheesy and sappy. The lyrics of course fit the music, but most of the music was sort of boring, and the lyrics followed suit. But the lyrics were sung flawlessly. Maynard James Keenan has such an awesome voice!! On the album, he sounds distressed, happy, pissed, urgent, and many other emotions. His voice can convey any sort of emotion, and he covers a broad range on this album. He is an awesome singer. // 6

Overall Impression: This album most definitely doesn't compare with any of the earlier Perfect Circle albums. There is very little distorted guitar and original material. By far the most impressive song on the album is a cover of Lennon's "Imagine." This song is done very well. It is very emotional. It makes you think. This song actually makes the album worth getting. I like that the album has a sort of an erie feel at times. I love Keenan's voice. I hate the fact that this album is so weird that I can't listen to alot of it. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't waste the fifteen bucks. I'm glad I have the album, for there are about 7 decent songs out of 12, but I would not buy it again. I suggest you buy A Perfect Circle's other two albums (Mer de Norms, The Thirteenth Step) and have a friend burn you this album. // 5

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Metallifan2k5, on june 14, 2006

Sound: I was excited when I heard thier song "Passive" for the first time on radio (a buddy of mine had downloaded a very early version of it that was never released), so I had some high expectations Ill admit. I should have knocked those expectations down a few notches. Again Circle had another strange, but different album with albiet the same kind of sound I've come to expect from A.P.C. Alright but could have been so much better. // 5

Lyrics: Maynard James Keenan is a guy I've held in high esteem as a singer but he sounds no different than on A.P.C.'s other albums which didn't really impress me. They did a lot of unoriginal songs on emotive unfortunatly and I was quite unimpressed with thier cover of "When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin. A.P.C. had one absolutely kick-ass track with "Passive" but the rest of the album as a whole sucked. Needed more original tunes; Sorry but when you do covers they gotta sound a little bit similar to the original, not like "Levee".(listen to Led Zeppelin`s version then A.P.C.'s version you'll see). // 4

Overall Impression: Emotive and the Thirteenth Step were both wastes of time in my opinion; one good song doesn't make a good album. "Passive" although a really good tune, lost its lustre after being overplayed on my stereo. In my opinion, Maynard should have gone back to Tool after "Mer De Noms" and counted his blessings that it was a good album. The other 2 blow, avoid at all costs. If your a hardcore fan, buy the album and you`ll probably like it, otherwise avoid completely especially if your a zeppelin fan like myself because A.P.C.'s version of "When The Levee Breaks" will make you want to shoot people. If this album were lost or stolen then the thief was looking at the wrong album collection because it would be in my pile of "Why'd I waste my money on this crap?" with St. Anger by Metallica; To be honest I'd leave it out in the open in hopes of having it stolen and if it weren't for "Passive" I would have just downloaded the entire thing rather than waste the 20 bucks I had at the time which I'm still kicking myself for. Waste of time and money. // 3

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Bryce-433, on september 25, 2006

Sound: This is A Perfect Circle's perfect cover album, with 2 original tracks added to the mix. Many bands try to cover songs by other bands and, most of them butcher it in the process. Many artists are covered in this album, including John Lennon, Marvin Gaye, and Joni Mitchell are covered in their own, unique way. I'd share anything else, but APC's sound stays true to itself. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Anihilation - the lyrics are whispered throughout the whole song, and bells or some chimey thing is played alongside. 02. Imagine - sounds semi-ok, but Maynard James Keenan is no John Lennon, which maybe a good thing in it's self, b/c there are already too damn many clones in the biz, if you know what I mean. 04. What's Going On? - when a bunch of pop stars regurgitated the original version of this song, I'm sure Marvin Gaye was rolling over in his grave. The APC version sounds a whole lot better. 05. Passive - the guys who picked this song to be on the Constantine soundtrack made a good choice. There's emotion in here, almost as if the singer were directly speaking about someone. 10. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums - the lyrics seem suit our times, but if you are not an APC fan, you will think that this song is noise. I recommend not having the bass/vol. turned to maximum when in your car listening to this, because you will get a major headache. 12. Fiddle And The Drum - sometimes you just don't need music, but one guy doing all the work!! Usually this is frowned upon. // 7

Overall Impression: The aforementioned songs are more impressive, but this album is no Mer De Noms. I at first cried when I found out that the majority of Emotive's tracks are covers. Metallica's Garage Inc. is all covers, so don't compare that with Emotive, ever! If this were stolen from my house I'd buy it again, walk away and say "You disappoint me, maybe you're better off this way!" // 8

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: MCRkid22, on june 28, 2007

Sound: I first started listening to A Perfect Circle when I saw Constantine. The song in the scene where he goes to the underground bar/club, and it's like a red light, presumably like Hell, caught my ear for some reason, and I looked up the lyrics. I read the lyrics, got the name, and watched the video. Instantly, I was hooked by this songs heavy riffs and melodic vocals that managed to stay haunting from start to finish. I learned Maynard's name that day, and it didn't stay with me until I listened to 10,000 Days. I did a little research, found the names were the same, and instantly started listening to APC. In my opinion, APC is most well known for their interesting music, the music being haunting, with lots of melodic background pianos, and the subtle guitar that sort of drives the song into the deep end. The most famous contribution being, of course, Maynard's voice. The voice of a fallen angel, managing to be so heavy that it makes Metallica look like pansies (no offense, I love Metallica) and staying so beautiful, it makes Charlotte Church look like a whore. Again. // 6

Lyrics: Maynard never ceases to amaze me with his lyrics. They're mostly about War and how the country has gone insane with it's constant rush for arms, and it's deep commitment to war. Against, not for of course. They (the lyrics) range from outright furiosity to whining sarcasm, to malevolent sneering. Maynard's voice sounds so perfect amidst everything else going on, and it's amazing because it sounds so out of place sometimes, but in the meantime, it glides with the song, and takes you on a ride you'll never forget. // 7

Overall Impression: 01. Annihilation - the moment you put this CD on, or the headphones in, or start up the car, this song grabs you with Maynard's chant-like whispering. This song actually scares the crap out of my 13 year old sister. The song builds, starting with a glockenspeil, and then adding different elements along the way, the same chant progressing, growing ever more threatening. I love Maynard! 02. Imagine - the song starts off with low piano, and then Maynard's voice kicks in, singing about what it would be like if there wasn't a heaven or hell, if there wasn't a country. The song picks up with something that sounds like a violin, and then some bass, and Maynard harmonizing with himself. It's another cynical view on society. 03. (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - I hope your iPod can handle this songs title. This song is sort of a ballad that leaves you not wanting to stand still. The guitar's flat notes add a special something to this song, and the song keeps picking up as it goes along, something nearly every song has in common on this CD. Basically a mockery of all things human made. 04. What's Going On - a gorgeous song with reverbed vocals, a slow driving bongo-esque drum beat, and a theme about war murdering everyone. Maynard, if you haven't figured out this late in the CD, is against war. 05. Passive - the CD's single, and for a good reason! It starts out with some guitar that, for Tool fans, might remind you of Schism a little bit. The bass drives this entire song from start to finish with an interesting riff. Basically, Maynard is describing how this girl dissapoints him a lot, despite the fact that he has a terminal disease. The song builds up again, this time in volume, starting with the Schism-style intro guitar, and then escalating with Maynard's voice, an awesome drum and bass beat, and then going back down, then back up a notch, back down, back up 2 notches and so on. Maynard never ceases to amaze. 06. Gimme Gimme Gimme - this song is really one of the most interesting tracks simple because it seems out of place. It starts off with Maynard howling into the mic, reminding me personally of Marilyn Manson. In fact this entire song sounds like Marilyn Manson. Heavy, and kind of sad. It's got a melancholy feel to it. Kind of makes you want to frown in sympathy. 07. People Are People - creepy, creepy song. Starting immediatly with some keyboard, and just some annoying snare patterns, it goes on with Maynard sounding different, and the keyboards and drums giving an overall haunted house feel to this. Tool's classing meter comes into play with the chorus, which begins with some weird lalalala type things that Maynard felt some neccessary need to put into there. The chorus is hard to time, unless your experianced with it. Kind of a snarl at war. Again. 08. Freedom Of Choice - a good enough song, starts off kind of pretty, but not a slow pretty. Going into the chorus, Maynard's just kind of wailing here. Not much to say about this song, except it doesn't really sound like anything else on the CD. 09. Let's Have A War - this might remind you of a song on Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. I think From Autumn To Ashes ripped this off. Anyway, so Maynard is really sarcastic in this song. Talking about how we should have a war because America desperatly needs one for "money". 10. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums - a snarl and a growl at humanity. The title alone gives it all away. Maynard yells at lot at the beginning. The drum and bass once again rule this song, with Maynard occasionally yelping. It's a good song, don't get me wrong, but a very angry one. He does sing in the song, it just takes a few seconds. 11. When The Levee Breaks - I get so tired of answering this question, so read this closely. Yes It is a Zeppelin cover. No it does not sound like it, but it is more of a tribute than a cover. It's an extremely mellow beautiful song. The chorus is gorgous. It's just basically some piano and drums, with Maynard sounding like an angel. And I mean an angel when I say it, he sounds incredible. Lots of vocal overlays. 12. Fiddle And The Drum - my personal favorite song out of all of them. Entirely Maynard just overlaying his vocals, making a beautiful, no gorgeous song with a lot of vocal harmonies and vocal chords. Pretty much just asking America "Why? Why are you being so hurtful? Can I please help you find the way again?" (note: those aren't the lyrics). I love this song. It's absolutely amazing, and truely shows Maynard is more than just an average singer. Definatly buy the CD, but even if you don't like the other songs, this song is worth the entire 12 bucks you're going to spend on it. If you spend any more than 12 bucks, buy it at Newgrounds Comics, or Best Buy. Anywhere else, and you're not getting a good deal. // 9

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: patbuck2, on february 22, 2011

Sound: This album is mostly composed of cover songs. I don't usually weigh cover albums as much as original albums. It all just depends on how good the song is that they are covering and how well they reproduce it or do something original and cool with it. I think that APC did a great job of making some cool re-interpretations of some older songs, but they still aren't as good as the originals and I would rather just listen to John Lennon's Imagine or Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks anyway. On some of the songs, they excel, and on others they fall flat for me. // 5

Lyrics: Well, Maynard didn't really write any of them except for Passive and Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums. The first is a great song that I like a lot. The latter is just industrial repetition of percussion sounds and screaming from Pet, a song off of thirteenth step. So I can't really comment too much on the lyrics. Maynard's singing skills, on the other hand, are probably the best part of this album. // 6

Overall Impression: I would say that this album seems to be the most overtly political work by APC, reminding me of Rage Against the Machine's Renegades album. I think that the most impressive songs on this album are the cover of John Lennon's Imagine and the original Passive. The best part of the album is Maynard's singing. The instrumentation is kind of monotonous and boring to me. This is by no means a necessary listen for anybody, but if you find it used for a few dollars, as I did, then it's worth a few listens and some change. I only bought it because of the low price and my obsession with Maynard. // 5

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of this album is not as good as the other albums. The best few songs I must say are the first two, Annihilation and Imagine, then it goes a bit down hill. The beginning song, Annihilation, a whisper over some type of instrument, a lot like "Over" from "Mer De Noms". There is a lot of piano, and a lot of vocal parts rather than the outstanding guitar we're all used to. "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drum" is a remix of "Pet" off "Thirteenth Step", that song is okay, but nothing great. "When The Leeve Breaks" is somewhat jazzy. Compared to past Perfect Circle songs, this is very different. But despite the difference, it is a very nice song. The last song "Fiddle And Drum" is just all singing, not a great song either. All the other songs were alright, but nothing good enough to justify the major let down it is. // 6

Lyrics: Very political. A lot about peace over war. I don't thinka single song isn't political, except for "When The Leeve Breaks", which is really just an instrumental. I rate the lyrics a three, cause they are alright for the most part. // 6

Overall Impression: I wouldn't really reccomend this album for buying, because I assure you that you'll listen to it once, and it'll somehow end up behind your stereo or under your bed or under the passenger seat in your car, but it is alright. You're better off bumming it off one of your freinds and listening to the best songs untill you're sick of them. Like I mentioned before, the first few songs are the best, and the rest just don't stand out as well. It is honestly a let down, but it is an okay album. // 6

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Seneca, on november 09, 2004

Sound: Very good sound, the added instruments like violin and flute add to many of the songs. What some people dont realize is that this is a CD of covers. Though they are "covers", most contain a very distinct APC flair. Overall, not as good as past albums, but they did an excellent job for what they set out to do: make an album of political covers. // 10

Lyrics: Maynard is great as always. The cover of "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye was excellent and really grabbed my attention. "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie" is fairly interesting, and "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythym Of The War Drums" is a spooky remix of "Pet". Once again, they accomplish their goal of creating an album of APC styled political covers. // 8

Overall Impression: Though the CD does not really stack up to previous APC releases, it, like I said previously, accomplishes its goal. Songs that please my ears the most include "Imagine", a cover of John Lennon, "People Are People", and "Let's Have A War". APC's one new song "Passive" is also a well written and well performed song. Overall, the CD is dilligent enough to deserve a purchase and a repeated listen, as the songs get better the more you listen. // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2004

Sound: This album is such a departure from the bands last two albums it's unfair. To compare it to them. Sure the music isn't heavy and it is alot more piano and vocally driven, but if you aren't narrow minded and give it a chance the album has a wonderful sound. The emmotion in these songs can be felt here especially on #2, #5 [co-written by trent rezner], #11, #12. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are mostly cover songs. Only two songs on here are original, but the choice of songs to cover is fantastic. Imagine, Peace Love Undersatanding, and my favorite lyriclly The Fiddle And The Drum. Maynard on this album also expands the way he chooses to sing on songs like [Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie] his voice sounds as harsh as ever and on songs like [whats going on] his voice sounds just plain smooth and both are well done. Billy Howeredell sings on a few songs also when I first heard it I was dissapointed because Maynard wasn't singing, but the more I listened to it the more it grew on me. Overall the lyrics and singing were well thought out and damn good in my oppinion. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD overall is goodenough to buy in fact it is a must have for anyone who is political and isn't stuck on stupid garage rock, or costume wearing bands growling about satan and like that. By far the best songs on the album are [passive] and [Imagine]. The day I got this album I listened to it constantly for a week and that is a hard thing to do for me. So I think this an awesome record and seems to flow very well in the line of APC's endevours. I recommend it. // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: sithian476, on november 09, 2004

Sound: Before listening to this CD, I tried to listen to originals beforehand because I had not heard most of the songs beforehand. After listening to the originals, I took a gander at this CD. They did a great job changing up each song to their own style, but still keeping the core of the song. I would personally listen to the covers over most of the originals myself. "Imagine" takes a somewhat upbeat song, and turns it into a more serious song, getting a better image across. APC's own original songs include "Passive" and "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums". The songs can range from semi-hard rock to jazzy type songs. The ones that are the most unique are the ones that just talk over sounds, with no instrumentals basically such as "Annihilation" and "Fiddle And The Drum". // 10

Lyrics: For the most part, the lyrics are about war and the betterment of humanity. Considering Maynard didn't write them, he chose a pretty good selection of songs to get his message across. I really think this album showed his amazing ability to be a great, and also versatile, singer. He's just so amazing. // 8

Overall Impression: All of the album's details are covered in what I previously wrote. I would definitely recommend buying this if you're into APC. If you're not into APC, give these songs a try before buying: Freedom Of Choice, Imagine, Let's Have A War, Passive, People Are People. // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2004

Sound: What the hell is wrong with everybody? This album is great. The lyrics are agressive, but they are just saying the truth. I have to admit that this album may offend some fans of George Bush. Their sound is also different, but very good, in my point of view. This album has heavy metal songs like Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie, but there are also soft songs like the exelent cover of John Lennon's Imagine. I think that now they are really in a good way, and I think that I'm not the only one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are completely anti-war, that's why they decided also to make a cover of John Lennon's Imagine, as I said before. In songs like Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums you can see that the lyrics are all about the war. In my oppinion, this album was made to have a great political influence, and I think that, someway, it did. // 10

Overall Impression: A very agressive album with great lyrics, deep sound and very professional musicians like Maynard James Keenan, James Iha, Jeordie White (the ex-bassis of Marilyn Manson), Billy Howerdel, Josh Freese and many more. I would recommend everybody to buy this outstanding album, specially if you are an Alternative Rock fan. Just buy it quickly! // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Covin, on november 09, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is, of course, different. I wasn't sure what to expect from APC upon hearing that they were doing a cover album, let alone an album with the focus of politics. Although I personally don't agree with Maynard's views, I put aside our differences in hopes of critiquing the quality of the music, and if the songs sounded any different than the originals. After really digging into the music and the originals, I have to say that I appreciate APC's covers; the majority of them are original, extremely atmospheric remakes. In my opinion they succeeded in creating an album that is considerably better than the majority of covers/cover albums. A few standout tracks are: Annihilation, (What's So Funny 'Bout), Peace, Love, and Understanding, Gimme Gimmie Gimmie, When The Levee Breaks. I believe that "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie" was an angry song, but they approached it with a sense of humor; think "Nurse Who Loved Me" but heavier. "People Are People" also has pretty humorous clips. Although I agree with the previous review that this album is not better than their originals, I disagree that this has 'put a dent in Maynard's nearly flawless armor'. It's a cover album, so you have to lower your expectations slightly because, well, it's not original. There's a lot less flexibility when you're working with other artist's music. I thought that the music for "Passive" was a little different, but was disappointed by the formula they seemed to follow for it. I'm thinking they rushed because they wanted to release it on election day or wanted to finish it while the election was such a heated topic. All in all, impressive for a cover album, though not anywhere near excellent. // 6

Lyrics: Maynard actually sings with a very unique variety on this album. From "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie" to "Peace, Love, And Understanding" he sometimes doesn't even sound like him. So his performance is up to par in regards to vocals. Most of the lyrics I won't critique because they're not APC's, with the exception of "Passive" and "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums." In regards to "Passive," I wasn't too appreciative of it. The music of it is nice, but the lyrics were a little below par if you're used to Maynard's typically beautiful poetry. I personally don't care for "Passive"; I won't skip it when it comes on, but the majority of the covers are better. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is decent. It is a cover album, so you can't expect APC to keep up the par that they've set for themselves with their past two masterpieces, but the creativity is obvious and apparent. I'm pretty hard on music I don't like, and I consider myself hard to impress when it comes to anybody that's been signed to a label, so I'm kinda on the verge of giving it a 2, but the 4 standout songs I mentioned above are exceptional and extremely appealing. APC continues to deliver, though this album won't be the one you pop in when you're chilling with your friends. // 6

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Last To Fall, on november 11, 2004

Sound: Although this is a cover album (with the exceptions of 2 songs) it is completely original. Each song is done very well and very effectively. It is a very vocally driven album which allows the words to really soak in. It is a somewhat depressing album and a very powerful album. The creativity with which they recreated these songs is incredible. // 10

Lyrics: Of course the lyrics are incredible. Songs like "Imagine" by John Lennon and "Fiddle And Drum" by Joni Mitchell have great lyrics and I think that Maynard and Billy captured each songs meaning wonderfully. There are many interesting vocal experiments done on this album and each one portrays great emotion and really gets the point of the song across well. // 10

Overall Impression: I must admit that I would rather hear new stuff by APC than a cover album, but I'm impressed. They do have two new songs, "Passive" and "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rythm Of A War Drum" (A re-mix of "Pet" from the previous album) and they do these songs very well. My favorite songs are "Passive", "Imagine", "Peace Love And Understanding" and "What's Going On", but all of the songs are worthy. I would certainly reccommend this album to an open-minded individual with a creative and serious attitude towards music. // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on november 12, 2004

Sound: From the twisted minds of Billy Howerdel and Maynard James Keenan, we have another offering from APC, of what is already known being composed almost completely of covers. A cd that is entirely political, it keeps the dark atmosphere of Thirteenth Step and Mer De Noms, however, and, like all other APC releases needs several listens in order to be fully understood and appreciated (although people will disagree with me, if you think about it all of their releases had subtle points that made the music great and that could only be heard after you didn; t have to think about the songs and your ear was relaxed this goes for both music and lyrical content). Although there is in general more accent on piano and vocals on this record, a lot of the songs still feature excellent guitars, and the range of styles achieved is quite impressive. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are 100% political. But it's a good thing, I believe, as it basically provides a point of view, which the listeners may agree or disagree with, but they are thought-provoking, as any other APC record. Although this category is harder to rate - this is, after all, a cover album except for the two songs - they all fit with the theme, and therefore are a good choice. Passive also features some clever lyrics. As "Counting Bodies..." is really an outtake from "Pet", it's excempt from rating. That said, however, the particular lyrical passage referred to does fit in rather nicely, if you think about it it sums up the political situation in the US rather well and not only US but that's only a speculation. // 8

Overall Impression: At first I was a bit baffled, and I wasn't exactly sure what to make of this cd. Then I used the same technique as with all the other Tool and APC cd's - I listened the living shit out of it. That way you are able to appreciate fully what those bands are trying to achieve with their music, and this album wasn't an exception - it's now on constant rotation. Freedom of Choice, Imagine, Passive, When The LEvee Breaks and Gimme Gimme Gimme were the most impressive songs I thought. Although the Beatles might be turning in their graves, I believe the Imagine cover was done really well. It was a lot darker, but then again Marilyn Manson did a cover of Highway To Hell by AC/DC purists may disagree, but the interpretations were extremely well executed, and what makes it an outstanding record is that the songs are indeed interpretations, not plain cover versions that are likely to be played at any one moment in some garage in United States or Australia or whatever not that there's anything wrong with that. Although not everyone will like this album because of what it is, whatever the reasons for it are, it is still a good recording. It's solid all the way through, and while it is different from what fans expected, since when APC was sticking to a formula or repeated itself? Thirteenth Step was different from Mer De Noms, and Emotive is different from both, although all the albums share an element that makes APC what it is. There is no question that I would immediately replace the album if something happened to it, assuming the funds allow me to do that, but I would also get a voodoo doll for the imbecile that dared to steal it. Another worthy effort by APC. // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: CSguitarvocal, on november 29, 2004

Sound: All I can say is wow. This was a great third effort from the band A Perfect Circle. The sound of this album is incredible. Billy and Maynard were musical geniouses on this album. First off, all but 2 songs on this CD are covers, but accept for the name and the lyrics its totally original. This CD focuses heavily on Maynards vocals (considering that final track "Fiddle and the Drum" is all vocals) due to the political voice of this album. But All in all this albums sound is genious. // 10

Lyrics: As I said before, the songs on this CD are all mostly lyrics. But Maynard executes them perfectly. He also attempts some new vocal experiments but they are all for the better. The two songs on here that are original are named "Passive" and "Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rythem Of A War Drum". "Passive" is a brand new song that has never been heard before and I think its APC's best to date, while Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rythem Of A War Drum" is just a remake of the song "Pet." // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is great. I must say though that its no Thirteenth Step or Mer De Noms for that matter, but its a great CD to end a great band. I will sure miss this band more than I have missed Pantera. This CD is a great pick up for an APC fan, new or old. So go out there and give it a try! // 10

eMOTIVe Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is quite good, esecialy the acapella on the last song "The Fiddle And The Drum" and the wispering on the firts song. I definately like the beat on "Countin Bodies Like Sheap To The Rhythm Of The War Drum," the rest of the album has a real fluctuation through each song. But I do like the original version of "Imagine." // 8

Lyrics: Even though alot of the song are cover songs, the rest of the lyrics they wrote there self were harsh and in your face esecialy track6 "Give Me War." I could see them writen that song with a picture of bush next to them to insire them. And of course "Passive" is one of the best written songs in nu-rock today. // 10

Overall Impression: Even though all of the cover songs I think this album is very in your face and I would definately buy it again if it got lost/stolen. It has definately made me a fan. // 10

More A Perfect Circle reviews rating latest review