Mer De Noms Review

a perfect circle: Mer De Noms
Released: May 23, 2000
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Virgin
"Mer De Noms" is the debut album by American rock band A Perfect Circle.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.6
 9.5
 9.6
Mer De Noms Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2003

Sound: The sound on Mer de Noms (Sea of Names in French) is a little bit heavier than the sound on 13th Step. The album is set up in a strange way. It is almost like everyother track is a different song. One song will be melodic while the one after it is nice and heavy :). All 4 elements have been touched: drums,guitar,bass,and voice. // 8

Lyrics: Okay everyone thinks that Maynard James Keenan writes the lyrics for APC. Maynard doesn't. The guitarest and the heart of the band Billy Howerdel does. For all of those years hes been the guitar manager for T00l has finally paid of by writing these dark lyrics. I say dark because of the words he uses but I think they have a posotive message in them. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to 13th Step this album is more "complete." The album was about 4 years in the making. It really paid off though. APC's debut is an album that is next to impossible to get tired of. // 10

Mer De Noms Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2004

Sound: This record delivers both a blastingly heavy guitar riff section on such tracks as the single "Judith" and the pounding heartbeat of the drums throughout shows us what a "superband" can be made of. Quiet, soppy and yet extrordinarily powerful number such as "Three Libras" show us the veriety of the group outstandingly. Maynard's vocal skills display more here than he ever has with tool, crying with more emotion than we thought such a great man could feel. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album boasts meloncholy yet somtimes quite uplifting material. Repedative in some parts, yet constantly vivid and thoguht provoking. Billy has written some fantastic songs and, coupled with Maynard's vocal talents, create a fantastic blend of spiteful ballads and ripping anger-filled hate songs. // 10

Overall Impression: In hindsight with their more recent album, "Thirteenth step" this was a definate groundbreaker for the music industry. The band seem a lot more eager to make themselves known with this record, which is much more uplifting and aggressive than the toned-down second album. With such fantastic tracks as the afore-mentioned single "Judith" and the powerful "Magdalena" this album is a must-have for all tool fans, aswell as anyone just getting into the genre. It will change your entire opinion on this kind of arty and quizzical music forever. I cannot say I hate anything about this album as it blends a perfect mix of songs the entire way through. All instruments sound great and all timings seem perfectly thought through. There is nothing here that one could call sloppy or un-prepared. A work of art. I recommend it to all, if you have never heard it. Where have you been for the last three years?!?! if you thought Thirteeth step was something different, this earlier cd will blow your mind! // 10

Mer De Noms Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: Great sound, great lyrics and great music all together. A well formed band by Maynard James Keenan of Tool. The guitars on this cd are great. The opening track "The Hollow" shows great guitar skills from the intro all the way to the end.The bass is great too, in "Thinking Of You" Paz shows a funky but real good bass line that fits the song just right. The drums go great with the bands melloness of songs like "Orestes" and "3 Libras". Simple, but great beats for such songs as well as "Judith" and "Magdelena". And not to forget Maynards voice which gos so soothing yet so perfect to the bands music. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. Maynard once again shows off his great skills on creating such great lyrics for such great music. Overall wow. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd is a definate must have. Not just a cd to throw in at night when you're feeling mello, but a cd to throw in whenever or wherever you are. The music is soothing yet so strong and the lyrics are amazing. Might just be one of the best cd's I have ever heard in my life. And if you get the chance, see them live! They are just as amazing as they are in the cd!(if not maybe better!). // 10

Mer De Noms Reviewed by: Mr.Blond/RATM, on august 10, 2004

Sound: Mer De Noms is deeper and more brooding than Thirteenth Step, and seems to be mellower in some parts. // 10

Lyrics: A Perfect Circle always has articulate, meaningful lyrics, but Mer De Noms has some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. The songs Magdelena and Judith have awesome lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Mer De Noms is an excellent CD and I think that it is A Perfect Circle's best. The sound is comparable to Maynards other band, Tool, but the lyrics are better. I love how articulate and powerful the vocals are in this album, and the songs Magdelena and The Hollow are awesome. This is my favorite CD. // 10

Mer De Noms Reviewed by: skylar_rhcp, on march 19, 2005

Sound: Maynard's voice is incredible. He expresses his lyrics with such a beautiful voice. You will definately know his voice when you hear it. In Tool's albums, I think he has a angry voice but in this it is much more mellow like "3 Libras" and "Orestes." Eventhough he sings it soft, he can still make it hard at tracks like "Judith." Billy's guitar sounds are extraordinary. It really blends perfectly with Maynard's voice. His solos are just great. I do not really know how to express this feeling. Paz the ex-bassist plays here and so do Troy the ex-guitarist. Josh's hard hitting drummings are another perfection. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before, Maynard always sings at his best with great lyrics writen by him and Billy. Although I do not see much difference in the writing styles like what he wrote in Tool. He still talks about Jesus Christ here and there. He lets out everything everyone is afraid to say. He doesn't give a damn. He says what he believes and I respect that perfect decision. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this the best A Perfect Cicle album. "Judith," "3 Libras," "The Hollow" and "Orestes" are amazing. I never get bored listening to this album. I can keep repeating this album for the whole day. I love everything about it but if there's more heavy vocals I think it'll be great. If it's stolen, I'll put that guy in prison. // 10

Mer De Noms Reviewed by: Grace, on may 25, 2005

Sound: Mer De Noms was (unfortunately) the last record of A Perfect Circle that I bought. But it is the best one in my eyes! You have to know that all A Perfect Circle records are great but this one is just incredible! A Perfect Circle have so many strenghts. There also is an instrumental song ('Renholder') on this album. They have powerful song like 'Judith' and also an awesome lovesong that just shows the beauty of Maynard James Keenan's voice. He truely is the best singer in the whole wide world! Trust me! You've got to listen to this record. This is one of my favorite albums ever. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite good too. As I already said, Maynard has got the best voice on our planet. I fell in love with his voice afterwards I listened to this great piece of great music. The lyrics go very well with the music. And the '3 Libras' lyric just says what you may feel in that kind of situation ('Difficult not to feel a little bit disappointed and passed over/Here I am expecting just a little bit too much from the wounded/You don't, you don't, you don't see me'). Those are lyrics that come right from the heart. // 10

Overall Impression: You really can't compare bands so you also can't compare A Perfect Circle to any other band. A Perfect Circle shows with their first album that this band is not just a 'side-project' of Maynard James Keenan. It's a 'real' band. There are a lot of awesome tracks on Mer De Noms but I really love: The Hollow, Magdalena, Rose, Judith, Orestes, 3 Libras, Sleeping Beauty (the acoustic version is even better), Thinking Of You and Brena. Well, you see, those are 9 tracks out of 12. I love the mood that they build up in their songs. It's just overwhelming but you've got to listen to this CD more than one time to understand how brilliant this is. And I would also buy it again a 1000 times if it was stolen. // 10

Mer De Noms Reviewed by: patbuck2, on february 04, 2011

Sound: I enjoy A Perfect Circle's sound in general and this, their first album. They remind me of an older psychedelic band but they are in wrapped up in a modern alternative rock package to create a fantastic final product. This album's title is French for "sea of names" and many of the track titles are people's names that Maynard James Keenan knew. This is an interesting concept idea for an album. The songs on the album definitely have a very personal and emotional feeling to them, which obviously highlights the main idea of the album. Each song is like a story of heartache, loss, love, anger, and anything else. // 7

Lyrics: What can be said about Maynard that hasn't already been said? His voice is extremely unique and I personally think it sounds fantastic. It's like no one else's voice. The lyrics in this album are very personal. Most of the songs are directed towards specific people on a first name basis. This creates a very emotional feeling to the whole album. It's almost sad when you listen to the album. The lyrics compliment the mood set by the instruments as well. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to their other releases, I like this one more than Emotive but not more than Thirteenth Step. My favorite songs on the album are The Hollow, Judith, and 3 Libras. What I love about the album is that it has a unique concept to it and its immense passion in the singing. What I don't like about the album that some of the songs can get a tad boring to me. But that's not too often. // 7

More A Perfect Circle reviews rating latest review