Adelphia Review

6.5
 5.5
 7.4
Adelphia Reviewed by: kaossurge, on july 21, 2009

Sound: There is no argument that every A Skylit Drive fan loved Jordan in "She Watched The Sky", and although there has been some controversy and discussion, I think most people came to accept and enjoy Jag's Vocals in "Wires and the Concept of Breathing". However, I think something went downhill in this album, while I still think Jag is a great vocalist, this album just had his extremely high pitched singing overpowering everything in the song's, the guitars, the drums, it just wasn't heard... While in Wires everything flowed correctly, I didn't like in the album that Jag's voice just overpowered everything. This album also was a lot more pop-ish, and wasn't as heavy as the previous albums. // 7

Lyrics: Well just about every song was a love song... I thought it got kind of annoying, not exactly what I expected from the band... The lyrics were very cliche and not what I come to expect from A Skylit Drive... Jag is a great vocalist, but like I said, his high pitched voice just overpowered everything in this album, and it wasn't as enjoyable as the previous albums... The heavy riffs and screams I came to love in A Skylit Drive were kept to a minimum in this album, and they sounded almost like a pop band to be honest... Great talented musicians in this band... I just don't know what they were thinking with this album. // 6

Overall Impression: A Skylit Drive has often been referenced to a mix of blessthefall and Alesana... If they were looking to change that, they definitely did, but in my opinion, not for the better... They've gone too far from their roots, and just sound too pop-ish for my tastes... I still love the band, and hope to buy another CD from them, just I'm hoping they go back to a style similar to Wires and the Concept of Breathing... I definitely am still looking forward to hearing their OLD songs live, the only song I can say I really enjoyed from this album was the introduction song, as it got me pumped, but I quickly lost the adrenaline as the album continued... If this album was stolen or lost I don't think I'd buy it again, where as I'd make sure to rebuy any of ASD's previous albums... A Skylit Drive... Go back to your old style... // 6

Adelphia Reviewed by: reaper_x, on january 22, 2010

Sound: I think I speak for everyone when I say I was blown away by She Watched The Sky. I knew this band had extreme talent and potential. Then, they lost Jordan and gained Jag (who is an extreme vocallist with a rediculous range). And we later ended up with Wires... And The Concept Of Breathing. This was the catapult A Skylit Drive needed. They dove headfirst into the Post-Hardcore/Screamo scene with Wires. After signing to Fearless Records (which I was excited about, as around the same time, Blessthefall got signed to Fearless aswell) they come out with Adelphia. Adelphia is almost a step back from Wires. The amazing screams we hear in Wires almost get lost into the music of this record. However, the musicianship in this record is still amazing for such a young band. I honestly do believe that Fearless producers pushed A Skylit Drive to tweak their sound and in the process, they lost fans. // 4

Lyrics: Lyrics are nothing special on this record. They seem to be less metaphorical and more "direct". They do get boring and repetitive at times. However, lyrics do fit well with the music, as we hear on Prelude To A Dream (which kicks in with a breakdown): "Stand up! This is a f--king ovation!". No problem with Jag's vocals, still a great vocallist. But in this record, he experiments with the lower part of his vocal range, which makes certain songs seem, well... Weird at times, to be honest. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this is nothing compared to Wires. Wires will always be my favourite CD by A Skylit Drive. I can listen to it for days and not get sick of it. It flows perfectly from track to track. It almost seems as if Adelphia was rushed. It doesn't seem to flow well. The best songs on this album would have to be Prelude To A Dream, Eva The Carrier (very catchy chorus), The Children Of Adelphia (because the first 18 seconds are brutal) and It's Not Ironic It's Obvious (for it's crazy guitar intro). I love how they experiment with more synths and such. And that's all I think this album really is... simply and experiment to see what A Skylit Drive sound, well, poppier. And unfortunately, the experiment doesn't go too well, my friends. If this CD was lost or stolen, I probably would not buy it again, to put it bluntly. I am dissapointed. // 4

More A Skylit Drive reviews rating latest review