She Watched The Sky [EP] Review

a skylit drive: She Watched The Sky [EP]
Release Date: Jan 9, 2007
Label: Tragic Hero
Genres: Progressive Metal
A Skylit Drive's debut EP, She Watched The Sky, is at times raucus and irresponsible only to give way to introspection and self-immolation moments later.
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
She Watched The Sky [EP] Reviewed by: tucker69, on april 23, 2008

Sound: Awesome. A Skylit Drive drives you crazy as "She Watched The Sky" infsts your ears with clamorous double peds, heavy screaming, fancy keyboards, and saturated guitar riffs. Very profound. I first heard them play "Hey Nightmare, Where Did You get them Teeth?". I was very astonished by them and all I could say was "wow." The album is composed of 7 tracks, all of them quite impressive. The intro song "Ability to Create War" was short but cool, starting with keyboards, then crashed by machine-gunned guitars and screams. The song "Hey Nightmare, Where Did You Get Them Teeth?" is facaded by a long, violent scream and then backed-up by the harmonious blending of guitars and keys. The part "forgive me" is spine-chilling and cool. While the keyboard interlude quite after the outro of the song gives out most of the vehemence in that track. "The Past, The Love, The Memories" is an odd song; the 2 guitars play riffs all throughout the song, while the keys play most of the rhythm. Very awesome and cool. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were fine. moast songs contain lyrics of a soldier or a warrior, so I thought they conveyed war os something. In the song "A Reason For Broken Wings", I believe the main charaacter is a soldier set off to war, promising to come back to his girl. They won the battle, but the man ends up dead, and as his final moments are weaved, rain falls down. He wanted to come back home, but he fails. The vocalist is good, though not quite remarkable, more of the average screamo vocals you can get. He screams well but sings quite not so cool. He leans his voice too much towards the high-pitched side, and at times ends up wrongly (or at least awkward) tuned. That's why I thought it wasn't cool. // 8

Overall Impression: A Skylit Drive carves their name with pride in the screamo/post-hardcore scene with their "She Watched The Sky" album, proving that A Skylit Drive is a very promising band. the most beautifully-crafted tracks in the album are, in my opinion, Hey Nightmare, Where Did You Get Them Teth, All-Star Diaries, The Past The Love The Memories, and A Reason For Broken Wings. Though I hate Drown The City because of the vocalist's whining and peculiar way of singing in that particular song, making it quite awkward. The intro track Ability To Create War is cool (and take note how many times I used the adjective "cool"). But overall, it's an impressive album for an impressive band. Impressive. // 10

More A Skylit Drive reviews rating latest review