Rattlesnake Review

a static lullaby: Rattlesnake
Released: Sep 9, 2008
Genre: Post hardcore, Metalcore
Label: Fearless
The album was produced by Steve Evetts who also produced all previous albums by A Static Lullaby Except for Faso latido which was produced by Lou Giordano.
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
Rattlesnake Reviewed by: ismellfunny13, on october 17, 2008

Sound: A Static Lullaby are back with their 4th release "Rattlesnake!". This is their 3rd album produced by Steve Evetts and their first as a four-piece with Guitarist/Vocalist John Martinez leaving before entering the studio. Firstly A Static Lullaby showcase their heavier and southern side which reminds me much of Every Time I Die. Though they have a different 'feel' about them they still have the catchy riffs and the scream/sing routine. Also the bassist Dane Poppin really shows off his skills with a lot of bass fills that fit well with the ripping guitars. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are much darker than previous releases and hasn't got every song singing about heart break and love loss which falls in the same category as every other post-hardcore band but they some songs they tend to go back to there old ways lyrical wise which isn't a bad thing. Vocally, both Joe Brown and Dan Arnold have improved immensely with the screaming sounding as good as it can get and clean singing is very memorable and I can't seem to get it out of my head. Also Greg Puciato (Dillinger Escape Plan) lends his vocals which create a diverse sound. // 9

Overall Impression: Many fans won't appreciate the change in sound but most will welcome it with the different but catchy sound which A Static Lullaby have been known to be through out the years. My Favourite songs off the album would be Morning Would Come, Aller Au Diable, The Prestige and the rest of them I love them all. The Whole of "Rattlesnake" I enjoy (especially there cover of Britany Spears "Toxic") the fast-paced songs and Killer guitar and bass riffs but the one thing that kind of bothers me is that they have yet to find their own sound and sometimes be unoriginal and borrow sounds of other bands but I still can't get enough of the album. If it were stolen I would go bash the guy who stole it and buy him a copy! // 9

Rattlesnake Reviewed by: andrewjf, on march 25, 2009

Sound: A Static Lullaby are back, and better than ever. This is their fourth release, and this one, in my opinion, is their best release. The guitar riffs are absolutely rediculous, which is a great thing. Dan's voice didn't really need improvement, but you can tell that he stepped his singing up. Joe's scream in this album is the best I've heard from him. I think that ASL fans will definetly welcome in this new style, where just about every song is a pure outburst of energy and adreneline. I never get tired of listening to any of the 11 songs. Where their last album got boring after the first 4 songs, every song on this album is well written, and it's just a blast to listen to. Another thing that stands out to me on this record, is that Joe takes over on singing duties more, where a lot of the songs Dan sings the chorus, while Joe sings most of the verses. And they made it work, it's a great balance of vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are more profound, and listening to all the songs, I get the feeling that "Rattlesnake!" definetly captures the band's life, and has more of a concept to it than the last albums, that seems were just a bunch of songs. But these lyrics are very well written, and interesting. Joe went all out on the lyrics and his screaming, and it has paid off. Songs like "Rattlesnake!", "The Pledge", "The Turn", and "Everybody's Got A Lil Fonz N' Em" are very well thought out, and keeps me listening. The overall lyrics are catchy, but at the same time, have a heart-felt meaning and concept behind them. This is probably their best work, and I think fans will love it. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is not like the others, most of the songs are more fast paced, but then they have the calmer sounds, which ASL tends to do in their music, which isn't a bad thing. This is the first release from them that has received a Parental Advisory warning. I think they have re-defined the genre "Post-Hardcore" and is definelty one of the greatest and original Post-Hardcore bands out there today. The most impressive song to me is "Everybody's Got A Lil Fonz N' Em", it has a metal-like feeling to it, and it was a great way to end the album. But their cover of Brittny Spears' "Toxic" is amazing, ASL always does great covers. I love everything about this album, from the lyrics, to the singing/screaming combo, to the energetic guitar riffs, this album is definetly flawless. A burst of energy is expected within every song, and I can't get enough of it, it's inspiring. If I lost this album I'd lose my mind until I bought another copy, I might just go out and buy another so I won't have that chance! // 10

More A Static Lullaby reviews rating latest review