Geeving Review

artist: abandon all ships date: 08/08/2011 category: compact discs
abandon all ships: Geeving
Released: Oct 5, 2010
Genre: Synthcore, Trancecore, Metalcore
Label: Universal Music Canada, Underground Operations, Rise Records, and Velocity Records
Musical worlds collide on Abandon All Ships' debut record, but the open-minded listener may embrace the bands eclectic sound.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 6.6
 6.2
Geeving Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 13, 2010

Sound: Even if you don't care for what Abandon All Ships is bringing to the musical table, the Canadian band deserves to be commended for combining seemingly opposing genres. Before cueing up the sextet's debut record Geeving, you should know that there are two styles you need to embrace fully: metalcore and techno/dance. You definitely can't be opposed to the autotune phenomenon, either. Abandon All Ships utilizes autotuning just as frequently as the double bass pedal, which makes for a bizarre recipe. It's a novel approach that eliminates any separation between the synth/pop and metal world, but it all gets a bit much to absorb at times. Abandon All Ships wastes little time driving home its very distinct amalgamation of genres, with the opening track Bro My God morphing from metalcore to trance to pop. The autotuning shows up in this track as well as a good deal of the other offerings, while growled vocals vacate the other moments. These are two defined styles that in many ways clash. That's not to say that a particular audience won't eat it up in fact, that's a guarantee. I'm willing to take a bet that the vast majority will be opposed to at least one side of the equation, however, be it the techno quality or the growled metalcore moments. On the plus side, Abandon All Ships does take a fresh approach to song arrangement on the whole. Megawacko 2.0 includes everything from Dime-bag guitar grooves to a ravers' techno dream. It takes some talent to blend such eclectic styles together, but Abandon All Ships does a competent job. As far as radio singles, the best shot will likely be Guardian Angel, which is the only track on the album that could feasibly be sold as a pure pop track. Geeving includes a solid list of guest performers, but these artists are never utilized enough. In the case of Family Goretrait, Protest The Hero's Rody Walker shows up to lend the most appealing vocal tracks on the entire CD, but he then disappears. Replacing where he should be is the often grating autotune vocal track, and it seems like a missed opportunity to add more variety to the band's arrangements. Likewise, Guardian Angel features t.A.T.u.'s Lena Katrina, but once again her appearance is all-too-short and sweet. // 6

Lyrics: Because you have two opposing musical sounds, the lyrics follow that same trend. When clean vocalist Martin Broda is at the mic, there is a more hopeful approach to the content. For example, in Guardian Angel he croons, I'll be there watching from way up high; The shadow you can't see when the suns in the sky; Wondering eyes have no disguise; It's obvious that this love never dies. It's a stark contrast from growler Angelo Aita, who takes opportunities to deliver such lines as, You'll die alone or I came to party. Odd bedfellows to be sure, but the album is intriguing in a way because of it. // 7

Overall Impression: You'll be sold or repulsed fairly quickly when listening to the first few moments of Geeving. This is not a middle-of-the-road, benign rock band by any stretch of the imagination. There is certainly a sense of creativity in the band's endeavor, but the excessive autotuning also feels like they are following fads. Geeving has its moments, but the negatives tend to overshadow the positives in this case. // 7

Geeving Reviewed by: ninfan200, on august 08, 2011

Sound: When I first listened to this album I was thrown completely off guard. While this sound is not very innovative (attack attack have done this sound before AAS) it is by far the most accessible of the "tracecore" sound so far. Yes there is plenty of auto-tune for any rock/punk/metal purists to bitch about, but compared to other mainstream bands I find that the auto-tune used quite tastefully compared to the likes of say everyone else who's used it, and I makes me think that martin broda (abandon all ships clean vocalist and bassist) might have a good singing voice. I did feel however that the album was a little overproduced compared to their debut EP. This is most obviously seen with frontman Angelo Aita's vocals as they seem to follow a distinct pattern. The guitar-work is pretty basic but it's also quite heavy. // 7

Lyrics: The Lyrics were a little confusing to me. In one verse there are lyrics that are really Christianity oriented. And in another verse (yes this can happen in the same song) they talk about "not giving a f--k". But somehow It works... Really well. // 8

Overall Impression: This is defiantly one of the most unique albums I've listened to. And I reccomend it to anyone looking to crossover from electronica over to hard rock or metalcore. I just wish the album was a bit longer (the length is only 33 minutes, I've listened to black flag albums that were longer than this) and there was one really bad song on it that was pure pop it was called "strange love" this was obviously filler. The Best track on this disc was "Megawacko 2.1". And if I ever lost this disk I would buy it again and I intend on buying this bands next album... If anything to see if they can improve on this sound. // 7

More Abandon All Ships reviews rating latest review