Global Flatline Review

aborted: Global Flatline
Released: Jan 23, 2012
Genre: Deathgrind, Brutal Death Metal
Label: Century Media
"Global Flatline" is completely unreal, a bonebreaker of an album, by one of the most respected reliable go-to guys for brutalizing death metal, Aborted. From my perspective it's an above average and unique-to-Aborted release.
 8.6
 7.3
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Global Flatline Reviewed by: EpiExplorer, on january 31, 2012

Sound: Well, quickly push that negative thought out of your head. "Global Flatline" is completely unreal, a bonebreaker of an album, by one of the most respected reliable go-to guys for brutalizing death metal, Aborted. No fancy add-ons here, no unnecessary production overhauls, nothing but pure unrestrained rage thumping into the base of your skull. While a lot of new and current acts tend to go for innovation/attempts at innovation, there's nothing wrong with your reliable extreme death metal band playing extreme death metal. I have to admit, although this is my first Aborted album, I can see (hear, rather) why they have a good reception. A good death metal band should be able to safely interject melodic sensibility into the brutality, no matter how extreme the band is. Tech death knows this, and Aborted know it too: Every so often you'll get a certain guitar solo or riff build-up that helps give release for the building chaotic, chromatic sound of death metal, spreading the adrenaline around your system. Not only that, but the instrumentation is precise, to the point and always moving, always going for a song climax, while allowing the drums to rampage and the guitars to riff your face off. And despite my concerns and pre-conceptions over Bedene, he really shows why the band and brutal death metal are forces not to be messed with by putting out a performance with the intention of out-blast beating every other drummer. // 8

Lyrics: When its death metal, you know what it's going to sound like. You got yer low growls, yer mid-range, and the bits in-between. Although Sven De Caluwe is an incredibly precise vocalist (a high performance job that deserves to be commended for an album in this genre) there's nothing to really make you go "wow" vocally speaking (but when you listen to enough death metal, there'll always be that impression anyway). Aside from your main man, there's also a few guest vocalists of prominent bands: Julien Truchan of Benighted, Jason Netherton of Misery Index, Keijo Niinima of Rotten Sound and Trevor Strnad (is that really how he spells his last name?) of The Black Dahlia Murder. A respectable list, but unfortunately one that doesn't really add to the album, every guest vocalist blends in completely with Sven, creating only the slightest variations in the sound of his vocals. Still, more is... More. "Global Flatline", name says it all. With song names like "From A Tepid Whiff" (i.e. a warm fart) and "Our Father, Who Art Of Faeces", you can tell that there isn't much expression needed for the lyrics, they serve more as the rhythmic platform for the vocals than anything else, so why bother with pondering on what it feels like to have "Coronary Reconstruction"? // 6

Overall Impression: So I guess there's not much else to say about the album, from my perspective it's an above average and unique-to-Aborted release, maybe you can have only so much death metal, but maybe you just need some Aborted. I think the only negative thing to say about the album is that the ending song "Endstille" is somewhat underwhelming compared to the more "creepy cinematic" sound of the intro track, which worked as a good build up for the title track, and yet "Endstille" kind of drags on from start to beginning, despite the chaotically beautiful guitar solo in the first few minutes. But, good death metal is good death metal, may it forever crush your brains. Songs to look out for: "Global Flatline", "Origin Of Disease", "Faecal Forgery" (surprisingly good track), "Expurgation Euphoria", "Our Father, Who Art Of Faeces". // 8

More Aborted reviews rating latest review
+ Strychnine.213 8.8 10/09/2008