Back In Black Review

9.5
 9.7
 9.2
Back In Black Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on december 13, 2005

Sound: Well, how do you describe the sound that epitomizes heavy metal and hard rock? AC/DC, that's how. I first got this album around the time I started playing guitar, and it's been a mainstay in my CD collection since it's just so addicting. Let's put it this way: When you pop in the CD and hit play, you start off with the tolling of church bells and right there, you know it's the start of a great ride. AC/DC really has a sound that's uncommon, but fairly easy to figure out. Chord based riffs, blues-styled soloing, and even some "chicken-pickin'" on "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution". Angus and Malcom really shows you how lead and rhythm guitarists should work together; fluidly. And the tube sound just about blew me away. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think anything can beat a tube amp and some good guitar parts. So, from "Hell's Bells" to "Back in Black", "You Shook Me All Night Long" to "Have A Drink On Me" and "Givin' The Dog A Bone" to "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution," this album is a must have in your collection. // 10

Lyrics: Okay, I'll say it right now and get it all out of the way: Brian Johnson will never be the singer that Bon was. Now that that's out of the way, I can only say that Brian does a good job filling in for Bon on this album and this album only. His voice is a bit over-the-top in most songs, which is expected of a man who's not a natural falsetto, but damn can that boy scream. The slower, more laid-back songs are the ones that I believe showcase his talents as a singer, since he brings a gritty voice to the blues influenced rock of the band. The lyrics are wonderful, though, dealing with everything from the band, Hell, alcohol(ironically enough), and sex. I find it so amazing that over the course of say, thirty-some years, when you think of sex, drugs and rock and roll, AC/DC is the first band to come to mind. Overall, wonderful, but not grandeous. // 9

Overall Impression: How does this album compare to other albums? You must be kidding me. Without these guys, many modern rock bands would not even be playing what they're playing, let alone exist without this album. Some would call it a landmark event for AC/DC. This is their best known album, using their new vocalist for the first time, and really bringing their sound to a whole new level. This was the album that put them on the fast track to fame and fortune and helped spawn so many legions of fans and followers around the globe. Now, I'm personally a bigger fan of the Bon Scott era, but hey, times change and you do what you can to survive. Grab a new singer and keep cranking out the tunes. If this album was lost, of course I'd be angry and distraught, and I'd find whoever it was who took it and run them through an SG. Great album, and a wonderful first for a new AC/DC fan. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: ChubbyLove, on february 27, 2005

Sound: Some of the best AC/DC ever, starting out with "Hells Bells" and ending with "Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution". There are some kick ass guitar riffs/solos like in Back in Black and You Shook Me All Night Long. Over all, a must have for your AC/DC collection because it was the first AC/DC CD I got, and I'm a huge fan. // 10

Lyrics: With the death of Bon Scott in 1979 at one of the peak points in AC/DCs career, some one needed to pick up where he left off, Like Brian Johnson, whos vocals are more of a "brick-dropped on his foot" sound. but for new fans to AC/DC, pointing out the difference could take time. Anyway, some of the lyrics are disturbing like "Givin' A Dog A Bone." If you haven't listened to the lyrics pay close attension and don't listen to this CD at a nice family dinner. Actually do it, it'd be awesome, but some lyrics I found powerful, such as "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" which is for all those teenagers who grew up in the '80s where them senor citizens/adults were complaining because they'd rather be listening to "New Kids On The Block." // 10

Overall Impression: This album, is definently a must have, one of the best AC/DC albums ever, if this CD got stolen, or I lost it or it got broked, I go on a killing spree! Then I'd probably get the cash and replace it. This album, I love it because some of the biggest hits are on it like "Back In Black", "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Hells Bells" keep on rocking! // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Perhaps the most successful album of the fathers of metal, AC/DC. The unique style of their own and an awesome creation loved and respected by all. At first the new lead singer of AC/DC, had quite a hard time trying to mack lyrics for the tiltle song Back In Black. He was sitting in his room thinking of what to write, when suddenly it began to rain, then came the start Back in Black. // 10

Lyrics: Hell's bells was an awesome compilation as far as lyrics and vocals and the music on the whole. The lead singer Brian has a great voice in his own league. He should not be compared to any other as he is in a league of his own. A brilliant singer, with great ideas. Obviously the band is all about him and the lead guitarist Angus. They are a brilliant band and they have produced an amazing album, cherished by al music lovers. // 9

Overall Impression: Back In Black is the best album by AC/DC and is among the greatest ever. The best songs, my personal favourites of this album will have to be Hells Bells, Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long. These are the songs that leave an impression on you after hearing the album. This is a darn good album and a must buy for all hard rock, metal, guitar lovers. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: Pacifica112J, on september 18, 2006

Sound: Right off the bat, I'd like to state that I'm just a 16 year old kid who was born way after this kind of music, but I can appreciate good music, and realize that my generation has single handedly ruined rock and roll, among other kinds of music. But on to my review. I have always been a solid fan of AC/DC. Even before birth, my mom put headphones on her stomach, blasting albums like Back in Black, and Highway to Hell, so I think I qualify as a lifelong AC/DC fan. And the impression I get from the band is that they're probably one of, if not the greatest rock band of all time. Some people will bitch and moan that all AC/DC albums sound the same, but I think the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying applies here. AC/DC knew what they had was solid, and they never conformed to what was popular at the time, especially in the '80s. Young's songwriting is absolutely genious, considering the fact that in an interview with Gibson, he said he even made up some parts of the song on stage, and continues to do so today. That's about all I know. Now, don't get me started here. Angus Young was one of the main reasons I picked up the guitar, along with Randy Rhoads, but that's a different story. Angus Young is a musical genious, period. I would defend that statement with my life, too. In the same interview with Gibson, that I talked about earlier, they asked him what effects he used on stage and in recording. To which he replied, "None". That's right, all he uses, is his SG, and his Amp. Probably one of the most innovative rock and roll bands ever. Their sound has been copied many, many times, by myself included. But it has never, ever been duplicated. I realize that this is cock rock at it's worst, and I realize it demeans women, and I realize that it condones drug use and binge boozing. But you've gotta love it. // 10

Lyrics: I kind of touched on this above, but I'll do it again. The lyrics are absolutely genious. They're extremely catchy, actually mean something, and are extremely distasteful in some instances. Everything rock and roll should be. This was a match made in heaven. The lyrics meld perfectly with the music. The music is always heavy, and never lets up, but Angus Young's voice can always be heard. Perfect, in every sense of the word perfect. Young's skills as a lyricist, his singing talent, and his extreme guitar playing ability have never been matched to this day. I would even go so far as to say AC/DC was a little better without Bon Scott, but I'm not sure on this one. // 10

Overall Impression: Nope. It shines alone. This album, among all other AC/DC albums has, and will continue to stand the test of time as one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever, right next to Appetite for Destruction, and Paranoid. If you're a fan of rock, and you don't own this album, or don't like AC/DC, piss off. Kids my age, think I'm weird for listening to nothing but old rock, like Ozzy, Sabbath, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc. But I think that's the only good kind of music. My generation has taken music, and killed it. My generation and MTV got together, and shot music in the head. And it's sad, but albums like this, I could listen to forever, so screw modern music. Who needs it? There is not one song on this album that doesn't totally rock the shit. Not one. But I do have some favorites: Have A Drink On Me, Back In Black, Hells Bells, What You Do For Money Honey, Givin' The Dog A Bone. What do I love? Everything. What do I hate? Nothing. I wasn't too fond of the track "Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution", but I don't hate it. Absolutely perfect album. If I found who stole it, I'd rip the son of a bitches teeth out with pliers, then take my beloved CD back. I would cut them a little mercy, though, since evidently he had good taste in music if he stole it. To close this review, if you don't own this album, go find it. Now. This is an absolutely superb album, by one of the greatest rock bands of all time. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: presidentjlh, on october 30, 2008

Sound: When people think "AC/DC" they think of that classic opening riff from "Back in Black", the title track. Dun... dun na dun... dun na dun. (Hard to express it in text.) That is because this album not only has the AC/DC sound, it is the AC/DC sound. It's rock, in it's purest form. Angus and Malcolm Young are great by themselves, but together, and especially in this album, it just isn't natural how great they play. Their guitar playing in this album is the definition of perfect. Every riff, every vibrato, every hammer-on is perfect. Phil Rudd on drums is just incredible. The beat his drum produces is just awesome. And let's not forget Cliff Williams, the bassist and backbone of the band. His bass provides that final wallop that is AC/DC. Every song in this album is gold, but let's start from the beginning. "Hells Bells" opens with the perfect sound: a big-ass, iron-cast bell ringing as if they are announcing the arrival of greatness. Then, you hear Angus Young simply play the riff of the song, and, after the others join in, the song catapults into a bone-chilling masterpiece, culminating in Angus' brilliant solo. "Shoot to Thrill" is a great driving song. It just has that racing feel to it: It's fast, it has a great looping riff, and it is very upbeat. This is one of those songs that when you hear it in the car, you nervously look at the speed-o-meter and wonder "How fast can this baby go?" The drums by Phil Rudd and bass by Cliff Williams in this one are just fantastic. "Honey, What Do You Do For Money?" finally leads us into that favorite topic of AC/DC's: Women. And boy, does it sound dirty. The riff is in descent, which gives that wonderful feeling of going down, while the bluesy tone is just great. "Givin' The Dog A Bone" is a great little tune, with a constant riff that seems to go up and down (Which fits just perfectly with the song) and a fast-paced shredding of a solo, is one of AC/DC's finest songs sound-wise. "Let Me Put My Love Into You" slows things down to a sizzle with a great blues song. This is one of those AC/DC songs that is quite obvious in it's intent. The stacatto bass notes that follow the beat are so pronounced, so... this may sound cheesy... cool, that when you hear this song with your girlfriend, well, I hope you came prepared. "Back in Black". The title track. AC/DC's most well-known song (Well, those that prefer "You Shook Me" and "Highway to Hell" might disagree). The riff is world-famous, and for good reason. It's one of those riffs that makes you just want to go fight someone, just to prove how badass you are. This is a song that guitarists all over enjoy learning and playing. Listen, and you'll see why. "You Shook Me All Night Long" is one of AC/DC's most popular songs. The riff is very upbeat, almost pop-like, but it maintains that honest rock sound. It's a great song for grinding (Dancing-wise) to, and it's still popular at high school dances. "Have A Drink On Me" is an excellent blues song. If you were to hear it in a good old rib joint in Kansas City, you would feel the song fits perfectly. It's moderately paced, but sounds both fast and slow at the same time. "Shake A Leg" is a very, very underrated song. It's got a catchy, ascending riff, an amazing solo (One of Angus' best), and is very upbeat. This song is one you should not pass over. "Rock 'N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" starts out quietly, with Angus lightly playing some opening power chords as Brian Johnson reasons with the listener. Suddenly, the rest of the band joins in, and you are launched into a great, defiant song. It is the perfect closer to this album. // 10

Lyrics: It was a cold February night, and AC/DC singer Bon Scott had drunk himself unconscious. His friend, unsure what to do, put him a car to sleep it off. Unfortunately, this was the wrong thing to do. Poor Bon choked on his own vomit and was found dead the next day. His fellow bandmates were stunned and saddened. For a short time, they considered dissolving the band. But, one day, Malcolm called Angus and said "I'm sick of f***ing moping around. Let's go record." The brothers got the band together, and they decided to hold auditions. One of the guys auditioning was Brian Johnson, a 33-year-old blue-collar working man from Gateshead, UK and former singer for Geordie, a short-lived yet moderately successful glam rock band. Funnily enough, Bon Scott once saw Brian perform and came back with a glowing review, saying "This guy was great. He screamed so much they came up and wheeled him off the stage!" Actually, it was because Brian had appendicitis, but that's beyond the point. Brian got the job, and AC/DC recorded the album. It was huge. Brian Johnson can't be given all the credit. A lot of the hard work was done by Bon and the rest of the band. But Brian did do a lot, and he was exactly what AC/DC needed in their time of hardship. "Hells Bells" was the first time many AC/DC fans even got to hear Brian Johnson. They must have been blown out of their socks. Jonna has a gift, you could say, in that he can scream, yet still sing, at level that would cause most people to have a bowel movement. He does it quite well. The lyrics of "Hells Bells" are mainly a tribute to the great Bon Scott, and Brian Johnson to this day dedicates much of his singing and success to Bon. "Shoot to Thrill" has some great, ambigious lyrics. You think they are about sex, then about drugs, then about just driving. But you don't care, because it all rocks. "Honey, What Do You Do For Money?" is a no-holds-barred attack against those buxom blondes that marry rich old men for their money. Or is it just women in general that like to sell certain "wares" on the street corner. I dunno. I do know that this songs lyrics are just great, especially if you've just been dumped. "Givin' The Dog A Bone" is an ode to the wonderous things a women can do with her mouth, and does not pay attention to their looks, only "ablilties." The song is hilarious, controversial, and many would say sexist. But it certainly isn't shallow, as Jonna screams "She ain't no Mona Lisa, no, she no Playboy star. But she'll take you to Heaven, then blow you to Mars!" "Let Me Put My Love In You" can be seen as a romantic song. But it only has one goal in mind: sex. The salacious singing of Brian Johnson seems thoughtful, but it's all about getting some in this song. "Back in Black" is AC/DC's ultimate tribute to Bon Scott. Brian Johnson screams at the top of his lungs, his voice acting like a lone middle finger extending from a hand, "Yes, I'm BACK! Yes, I'm back! Well I'm...baaaaaaack...baaaaaaaack, yes I'm back in black! YES, I'M BACK IN BLACK!" "You Shook Me All Night Long" has some very well-known lyrics, and the song's popularity in America might stem from Brian Johnson's mention of the unnamed woman's "American thighs". The lyrics at times seem dirty, yet they also have an innocent quality to them. It's a song that kids hear all the time these days, but, then, such songs were sins to listen to. "Have A Drink On Me" is another tribute to Bon Scott, namely his fondness for that old devil in the bottle, alcohol. Brian Johnson shows he has quite the knowledge of alcoholic drinks in this one. "Shake A Leg"'s lyrics are vague. Are they sexual? Are they defiant? Are they just fun? Sometimes it's hard to understand them. Yet, they make the song better. "Rock 'N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" is AC/DC's great "f*** you" to all those magazines that dismissed them early in their careers (Rolling Stone and the London Times, I'm looking at you), as well as the "concerned" parents that didn't want their children to become devil-worshippers because they happen to enjoy fun. // 10

Overall Impression: This is AC/DC's masterpiece. This is their lasting contribution to the world of music. This is their "Symphony No.5", their "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club", this is their defining moment. In fact, I think it's better than "Sgt. Pepper's" and "Symphony No. 5", combined. Why? Because it is the very epitome of rock music. Everything is in it: Sex, alcohol, rock, a tribute to a fallen friend, money, blood. There ain't any preachy crap or soft music. It's hard, it's fast, it's the best. (AC/DC would probably make that a song theme, wouldn't they. Of course, they wouldn't be talking about music.) From the opening rings of "Hells Bells" to the climatic announcement by Brian Johnson that "Rock 'n Roll is just rock 'n roll, yeah!", "Back in Black" is the greatest thing these ears have ever heard. Not only must you buy this album, you must listen to this album, over, and over, and over again, because it's just that damn good. I would give this album an "11" if I could, it is just that great, that incredible. I know this may look like some overly praising review, but the album deserves that. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: AcDc1087, on january 15, 2004

Sound: 'Back in Black' has an excellently amazingly awesomely beautiful sound. The band knows how to make recorded music sound not recorded. When you listen to any AC/DC album, especially 'Back in Black', you're not just listening to it, you can feel it. It fills up the room as well as your body, and it makes you want to do everything you've never been able to do. It is one of the most inspirational albums outside the catagory of inspirational music. If you don't like this album you do not fully appreciate good music, because there isn't a musician alive who doesn't at least respect AC/DC for their great sense of music. Malcolm Young has a gift for writing on the guitar, and his brother Angus tears the hell out of anything they write. From the drums and bass to the guitar and vocals this album has EVRYTHING you want, whether you're into lyrics or music. Trust me, you'll love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are exactly what you want from AC/DC: They are completely shallow, they don't put you in touch with your deepest feelings or anything like that. The shallow vocals sung by the voice of a blatant heavy smoker over the most kick-ass riffs in hard rock make you want to go crazy (in the best way). And there are no deep lyrics to distract you from listening to the great guitar of Angus and Malcolm. // 10

Overall Impression: I really can't say much about AC/DC's legendary 'Back in Black' album that anyone who has heard any song from it doesn't already feel. However, if you've never heard this album, let me tell you why you're missing out! Now first off, the sound: When Bon Scott was with AC/DC the band had a very trebly overall sound, with high-pitched, long solos, a few songs with meaningful lyrics (mostly just downright dirty though), and a sound that stood out from the rest, but not quite enough. While enjoying great success with 'Highway to Hell', tragedy struck the band when Bon Scott died early in 1980. However, 'Highway to Hell' had well established the band's sound, coming away from the trebly, messy early songs and getting more melodic. The stage was now set for something great: Something to sustain the great music of 'Highway to Hell', to pay tribute to the late Bon Scott, and something to show the world of music that the 80's weren't doomed to be invaded by hair, techno, punk, and other shallow bands. Something called 'Back in Black'. Everyone everywhere was blown away by this album. Every song, namely the haunting 'Hells Bells', the great anthem 'Shoot to Thrill', the all-time incredibly composed 'Back in Black' (THE tribute to Bon Scott; the name itself comes from the band being back in the game after a tragedy, and 'dressed' in black to mourn Bon's death), the very well-known, dirty 'You Shook Me All Night Long', and a tribute to anyone who's ever been told to 'turn down that noise,' 'Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution'. Anyone who likes music can appreciate the beatifully written riffs and the meaningless lyrics (just how we like it in rock 'n' roll) of 'Back in Black'. Buy it, listen to it, be inspired, just love it forever. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: AMERICAN PRICK, on september 26, 2005

Sound: AC/DC are one of my personal favourite bands and Back In Black was the first album I bought and I was blown away. Back In Black is the first album they did with out Bon Scott as their front man. Hell, Brian Johnson was a good replacement the album really rocks. The best tracks are Back In Black, What Do You Do For Money Honey and Have A Drink On Me. As ever the solos by Angus young rule, they really symbolise classic rock for me. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are so cool especially back in black. Brian Johnson continues the AC/DC tradition of throwing out the lyrics in a voice that turns heads. The intro to Back In Black is one of the most well known along with Smoke On The Water and Stairway. Johnson's voice is similar to Bon Scots in that it has the same power. However, in my point of view the lyrics are not as good as those in the previous album Highway To Hell. // 8

Overall Impression: Back In Black is a classic '70s rock album from the '80s but hell its still great rock, so all in all I think its good album maybe not as good as highway to hell but it still a damn good rock album. So if I lost this album I would probably go out and buy another, for sentimental reasons and because it kicks ass. // 9

Back In Black Reviewed by: UG is great, on september 25, 2007

Sound: I wasn't sure about AC/DC about a year ago. I can't believe that I thought that but I did. My opinion was that they were a bit screamy and just amde a lot of noise a lot of the time. Now my opinion has totally changed. There was a preview of it in my local CD shop so I thought I might as well try and change my opinion for the better. Just as well I did listen to that preview! They have to be one of my favourite bands if not the favourite. The riffs are just amazing and when you watch a DVD of one of their live shows they all are so impressive. I am no guitar genious myself infact I am far from it but I know when I see a good player. // 10

Lyrics: Quite a lot of the time I can't really understand what they are saying. There are probably a lot of gut AC/DC fans out there that think I am talking absolute shite but it's true! The songs are very rhythmical and the lyrics do comply with the music very well. The singer's skills are hard for me to comment on as I definately have no experience in singing but the singer has a very good voice for that kind of music. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the only AC/DC CD that I have and I received it for my birthday from my friend. It has encouraged me to go out and buy other CDs by them. My favourite songs are Back In Black (who doesn't like that one) and Giving The Dog A Bone because they are so upbeat and have a very distinct rhythm. One thing I slightly dislike about this album is that some of the songs go on a bit which spoils the song a bit. If it were stolen or lost I would buy a new one or get another AC/DC album. // 9

Back In Black Reviewed by: daytripper75, on october 13, 2003

Sound: Wow. The sounds of this cd are amazing, Angus has a guitar style that sounds different than anything else and Malcolm plays a strong rhythm on this cd. If your an AC/DC fan you can pick out an Angus riff out of a 100 riffs and never have heard it before. The solo for Back In Black is amazing and one of my favorites of all time. // 10

Lyrics: After the death of Bon Scott I think Brian Johnson was a great replacement singer. Like Angus's guitar you can pick out Brian's voice easily. The strongest lyrics on the cd are definitley for the song Hell's Bells which is a really powerful song and a good tribute to Bon Scott. The rest of the lyrics arent anything too special but they go good with the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: I think it was AC/DC's best album and one of the best cd's of all time. Having one of the best guitarists ever and a good songwriter you cant go wrong. I love everything about this cd and i love all the songs on it. If i lost this cd id probably go crazy and id have to go out and get it the same day. I would suggest that anybody that comes across this cd that doesnt already own it should get it. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: Rollin thunder, on december 08, 2003

Sound: the sound was great, it wasnt as repititive like some other Acdc albums are where they just have lame guitar riffs and then face melting solos. it was a variation of a lot music styles all together in a havey metal/hard rock case i mean hells bells' intro left me in awe and the kind of funk used in track number 5 made the Cd a diverse one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great, Brian Johnson has the perfect voice for a band like that - my username Rollin Thunder is from hells bells when he says "I'm rollin thunder, pourin rain" the way he chose the lyrics atually made sense especially in rock and roll aint noise pollution and shook me all night long. That's a rare thing now a days with these new bands whose lyrics in a song dont match up. // 10

Overall Impression: I first got the idea to buy this album after I had already purchased highway to hell and I heard on the radio that they thought it was the 6th best album ever so I got it and found its one of those cds you can listen to over and over. This is a must have for all hard rockers, its the signature album of hard rocks signature band, out of all 20 or so cds AcDc has made this is definitely the best. You can't call yourself an acdc fan if you dont own this album. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: yellocard101, on april 09, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is awesome its all rock and thats all me. It's like classic rock meets future metal its a good cd and one of there best. My favorite song is back in black but there all great. The sound re-defines the sound of rock the guitar is extreme (wonder how many lessons they took and if they didn't wow they're geniuses). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit slow tot the music but it makes it all that much better and I guess it was good back then this cd makes me wanna get a hole shit load of them. The lyrics with the guitar riffs make it so smooth yet rough. // 10

Overall Impression: Woa! Ask me that question in person and you would be hear for a month but to keep it short buy this freakin cd!!! // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2004

Sound: The sound quality is very top notch in this cd. Everything goes perfect with everything else. The songs are all very original and have amazing guitar work. Angus yet again defines what it means to be a true hard rock guitarist. His opening riff to hells bells is absolutely phenoninal. And as always malcolm knows how to make great rhythym riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent as well. they have a perfect blend of rhyming and story telling. You Shook Me All Night Long has some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. Hells bells also blew me away. Brian was the perfect replacement singer. // 10

Overall Impression: This album not only blows most other albums alway but sets the standards of how creative and original rock should be. Every song on this album is brilliant. Not one song was I disapointed with. Altho You Shook Me All Night Long was by far my favorite. I hate nothing about this album but love everything. the lyrics are great, the guitar work, the drums, the originality. I don't need this album to be stolen I already have 7 copies of it just incase. If you don't own this album you aren't a rock fan. Period. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: dmxd, on january 12, 2005

Sound: First of all, "Hells Bells" had a great intro, with the bell in the background really caught your attention. "Shoot To Thrill" has a catchy intro along with "Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" and "You Shook Me All Night Long." "Back In Black" and "You Shook Me All Night Long" have the best guitar solos on the album. Angus nailed it with his solos and with Malcolm and his powerful rhythm guitar to back it up. The bass was great and the drums were as good as they could be. Angus has done it again! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were just as good as the guitars, if not better. With the nice chorus to "What Do You Do For Money Honey" and how the guitar is the same rythm as the lyrics on "Given The Dog A Bone." Brian Johnson filled in great for Bon Scott (RIP). Brian can really belt it so I give it a 5! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this was the best of AC/DC. It is definetly better than how they began. It was even more amazing that they could go out there right after the death of Bon Scott and do something like "Back In Black." Every song on here rocks! My favorite were: "Hells Bells," "Shoot To Thrill," "What Do You Do For Money Honey," "Back In Black," "You Shook Me All Night Long," "Have A Drink on Me" and "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution." That's 7 of 10 songs. If you are even a little bit of an AC/DC fan this is your next CD to buy! // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: Ziplin, on april 07, 2005

Sound: Awesome sounds. You listen to riffs back from Bon and their pretty simple and plain. Then Brain comes in and you hear riffs like Back In Black and You shook Me All Night Long and their totally different and amazing. A step in the right direction. Every song on here is good. I have 5 favorites. Back In Black, Shoot To Thrill, You Shook Me All Night Long, Hells Bells, and Rock And Roll Aint Noize Pollution. Amazing CD. After fall of frontman Bon Scott, this was an amazaing accomplistment. Brians debut ablum and it went 20x platinum. Put together very well. The solos amaze me. // 10

Lyrics: Brian did a great job. He was really on the spot here. His debut album. His voice is amazing and really did a great job and blew us all away. It's has its share of sexual lyrics and some tribute lyrics like Hells Bells. Great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to anything. 1984, American Idiot, Pysical Grafitti. Compare it to what you will, this will prevail. Back In Black and You Shook Me All Night Long are the best songs on there. They stand out the most. I love everything about it. This CD came with the Bonfire set so if it were stolen I wouldn't play the $100 to get it again but just by the cd for $8 from wall mart. Get this CD now. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2005

Sound: It's over 25 years old but it's got its own clarity and determination. Nothing sounds like this album. It's got a flow of its own. A steady rhythmic movement. Every pick, beat and yell is made with full confidence. I can't think of any other album where the solos are so important and musical. In places, Angus can play the same 3 notes for bars but drive you wild with the rhythms alone, before going off on some epic tangent and back again. It saunters, struts and jabs then does all 3 at once. After an estimated 10,000 playings I am already bored with this album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are where they have to be. Bang on time. Brian doesn't outstay his welcome at all. Emotion comes straight across. I want to have a drink on him. Even the screams are parfait. I don't like Brian live but in the studio he has always been imacculate. // 10

Overall Impression: It's unique (although 'For Those About To Rock' is a decent extension). If you've got 20 years to spare then maybe it's worth buying. Maybe years of discussion and praise will be its downfall. If someone stole my copy I'd fall over and laugh. If someone stole my enjoyment of it I'd fucking kill them. Honestly. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: Angus Malmsteen, on december 23, 2005

Sound: I love the band's clean-but-heavy-as-hell approach. I first heard Back In Black when I was about 6-7 years old. When I first heard the tile track "Back In Black" that was the beginning of my AC/DC fan base. I knew I would be listening to this album as I grew up. I love Malcolm's crushing rhythm sections, Cliff's thumping bass sections, Brian's thrashing, aggressive vocals, Phil's pounding drums, and Angus' great soloing and leads. The entire album was dedicated to Bon Scott, the band's former past-deceased vocalist before this album was made (the song "Back In Black's" lyrics) from the lyrics to the album cover. // 10

Lyrics: Sex, alcohol, and kickin' ass. The lyrics pretty much exude Rock N Roll and its lifestyle. But don't forget the album was meant as a dedication to Bon Scott. I love Brian's voice on this record, probably better than any of the other CD's, at least in my opinion (I think on the Razor's Edge Brian sounds like he wore his voice out after all the years of those agressive vocals). I love the song "Givin' The Dog A Bone." The lyrics got me laughing from the start. If you can guess what he's talking about, you'll be laughin' too. // 9

Overall Impression: The entire feel of this album was just like you could sleep in the groove that AC/DC created on this record. It was almost scary. For example, "Hells Bells," just that opening A riff is frightening when Brian is singing over it. Another song, "Let Me Put My Love Into You," for example. The opening riff is just terrifying with the thumping bass playing the low E under the rest of Angus and Malcolm's guitars. I would definitely buy this CD again because I have been listening to it my entire life, I grew up with it. This is a truly great rock album that I think everyone should have in their collection. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Sound: I love the band's clean-but-heavy-as-hell approach. I first heard Back In Black when I was about 6-7 years old. When I first heard the tile track "Back In Black" that was the beginning of my AC/DC fan base. I knew I would be listening to this album as I grew up. I love Malcolm's crushing rhythm sections, Cliff's thumping bass sections, Brian's thrashing, aggressive vocals, Phil's pounding drums, and Angus' great soloing and leads. The entire album was dedicated to Bon Scott, the band's former past-deceased vocalist before this album was made (the song "Back In Black's" lyrics) from the lyrics to the album cover. // 9

Lyrics: Sex, alcohol, and kickin' ass. The lyrics pretty much exude rock n roll and it's lifestyle. Brian doesnt compare to the quality of singer that bob was but he brings a whole different style to the table which isnt bad. But don't forget the album was meant as a dedication to Bon Scott. I love Brian's voice on this record, probably better than any of the other CD's, at least in my opinion (I think on the Razor's Edge Brian sounds like he wore his voice out after all the years of those agressive vocals). I love the song "Givin' The Dog A Bone." The lyrics got me laughing from the start. If you can guess what he's talking about, you'll be laughin' too. // 10

Overall Impression: The entire feel of this album was just like you could sleep in the groove that AC/DC created on this record. It was almost scary. For example, "Hells Bells," just that opening A riff is frightening when Brian is singing over it. Another song, "Let Me Put My Love Into You," for example. The opening riff is just terrifying with the thumping bass playing the low E under the rest of Angus and Malcolm's guitars. I would definitely buy this CD again because I have been listening to it my entire life, I grew up with it. This is a truly great rock album that I think everyone should have in their collection. // 9

Back In Black Reviewed by: tml492, on february 03, 2006

Sound: Amazing. I really enjoyed the sound quality and there style of music. There songs were not too tough, great guitar playing and singing. I was very impressed. I really liked how Angus Young and Malcom Young are both brothers and are in the same band. I think that is really cool. If you listen closely to the tunes and chorus's of the songs, you will find it quite easy to play on guitar. // 9

Lyrics: I think that Bon Scott and Brian Johnson's whiney voice fits the songs perfectly. I think that the lyrics were great. Some were funny, some were serious. It was a great mixture. // 10

Overall Impression: To AC/DC's other albums, I would have to say that this one is my favorite. I was really impressed and enjoyed it a lot. My all time favorite song on this album is "Hells Bells." The sound, the lyrics, and th guitar playing were amazing. If this CD were to be stolen or lost, I would definently considering buying this album again. I would recommend this album to anyone who enjoys good ol' rock n' roll. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2006

Sound: The sound is unbelieveable on all occasions. The drums and guitar play 100% in time. The drumming is not over exaggerated nor is it complex however its just solid (Phil Rudd the drummer). Angus Young once again wows the audience with guitar riffs which would make your eyeballs melt, and older brother Malcom Young, lays down the chords with feeling (Cliff Williams on bass puts simple bass riffs in and him and Malcom play together and seeminly work well) and you can tell this from every song on this historic album in AC/DC's lifetime. // 10

Lyrics: Well Brian Johnson certainly did Bon Scott justice and AC/DC achieved what they set out to do which was record and gut busting album to remember Bon Scott by. Famous songs like "Back In Black" and "Hells Bells" are the two favourites of mine, however I don't really think that I can single out any particular songs I like best, because this in my opinion is AC/DC's best album. Brian Johnson belts his lungs out on every single track and AC/DC create music you can't help bop your head to or sing to. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion this is AC/DC's best album. The team work of Angus, Brian, Malcom, Cliff and Phil have created an album with 10 songs of classic, heart pumping rock music. Music which will never die and in the words of AC/DC. "Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll will never die." // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: JD7, on april 24, 2006

Sound: The sounds on this album are great. All the songs are just like each other (quality wise) and it sounds like AC/DC should, even with Brian replacing Bon. Angus is still making the guitar beautiful, along with Malcolm. The boys aced it. // 10

Lyrics: Brians voice, although not exactly like Bon's, has the same affect in my view. The lyrics are very well put together, and stand out in "You Shook Me All Night Long," "Back In Black," "What You Do For Money Honey" and "Hells Bells." They cook up some great lyrics on all the songs, and a great job! // 10

Overall Impression: This is album is just beautiful. It's their best in my collection (about 20 AC/DC in total. The stand-outs are "Back In Black" the best out of them all, "You Shook Me All Night Long," "Hells Bells" and "Let Me Put My Love Into You." There is everything to love about this album, and nothing to hate, the music is great, the singing is great, the songs are great, the rhythm is great. Need I go on? If I lost this album, I would do my best to find it. If I couldn't, I would just buy it again and again and again. Brilliant! // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 28, 2006

Sound: The sound on this alnum is absolutely overwhelming. The guitars on this album could not be better Angus and Malcolm are one of the best lead/rhythm guitarists in the history ever. With Angus's solos and Malcolms kick ass riffs this album could not be any better. The bass on this album is absolutely phenemonal and it could not be better than how it was written. The drums on this album are spectacular even if they do have simple drum beats in the songs, it is ultimately catchy as hell. // 10

Lyrics: Well I must say that Brian has always impressed me with lyrics and how he writes songs. On this album most of the songs are like about drinking and just having a good time with friends. There is only one love song on this album and that is "Let Me Put My Love Into You" which by the way is an amazing written song and it has a fantastic solo. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall impression of this album was overwhelming. This album is catchy and it is very good for a guitar player to learn some good guitar songs. Well my personal faves on the album are "Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution", "Hells Bells", and "Shoot To Thrill". The rest of the songs kick ass but those are my absolute favs on this astonishing album. There is everything to love on this album the guitar solos, the bass riffs and the thundering drums. So what is there to hate I am asked? Nothing absolutely nothing. If this album were lost I would defenitely buy it again because it kicks brutal ass. I would recommend this album to anyone in the world. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: SGstriker, on august 26, 2006

Sound: Sound wise, it can't get much better than this. I have heard so many people say that all of AC/DC's songs sound the same, but is that necessarily a bad thing?? I love the Hell's Bell ringing as the introduction to the CD. They start the CD out with two great hits, Hells Bells and Shoot to Thrill. Then, they play 3 of there lesser known songs, What Do You Do For Money Honey, Givin The Dog A Bone, and Let Me Put My Love Into You, 3 of their most underrated songs. Then, 3 big hits (Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long, and Have a Drink On Me), then Shake A Leg (Awesome Solo), and The best ending song any album could have, Rock And Roll Aint Noise Pollution, a f--k you sent to all of the people against rock Music. Like All AC/DC, It is Just Rock N Roll and that's all we really need. // 10

Lyrics: This was Brian Johnsons first album with AC/DC after they lost Bon Scott. Lyrics were great. This album was the best Johnson's voice ever sounded. Like every other AC/DC album, the lyrics are about sex, booze, and Rock And Roll. The Lyrics of Have a Drink On Me were a salute to Bon Scott as was the entire album. // 10

Overall Impression: This compares to every other AC/DC album. I like every song on this album equally. The Young bros guitars shine as does Johnson's voice. If I lost this album, I would go and buy the DVD/CD Back In Black. If it were stolen, I would hurt the person who stole it. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: ac/dc#1fan, on july 12, 2007

Sound: Overall a great sound.Classic AC/DC sounds: heavy guitar from the Young brothers, simple yet heavy drums that is the glue of AC/DC's music, and a driving bass provided by Cliff Williams. Yes, all classic AC/DC, exept for one thing, the voice. Brian Johnson, the replacement of original singer Bon Scott, who died of choking on his own vomit earlier that year. But overall a great debut for Johnson, and a ground-breaking record for rock legends AC/DC. // 10

Lyrics: Good lyrics, classic AC/DC "verse, chorus, verse, chorus" lyrics. An amazing debut for Brian Johnson, and a big change for AC/DC. They went from a raspy singing scottish showman, to a young man from england who screams like a fifteen ton truck has been dropped on his foot. Although you can't understand him all of the time, he's still amazing. // 8

Overall Impression: Easily AC/DC's best. It takes a ton of courage and strength to release a brand new album with a brand new singer just months after your singers death. Like them or not, you have to admit, they really pulled up their boots on this one. For all you die hard Bon Scott fans/ Brian Johnson haters, and I know there are some of you out there, you also have to admit, Brian Johnson did a hell of a job on this one. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: Rockstar112, on january 05, 2008

Sound: AC/DC is a hard rock band. This is their most famous album released in 1981 after the tragic death of their previous frontman Bon Scott. This is an awesome album containing some of AC/DC's biggest hits of their career including: "You Shook Me All Night Long", "Back In Black", and "Hells Bells". // 10

Lyrics: AC/DC presents this album with a set of unique songs. Their lyrics are representative of life as hard rockers. "Back In Black" is a tribute to the late Bon Scott but was not intended as a sad song and has not been viewed as one. "You Shook Me All Night Long" is a raunchy tale of a good time with a woman. AC/DC's replacement for Bon is Brian Johnson who's singing is more like screaming. His demon wails make him seem like he gargles in the morning with boiling oil. // 10

Overall Impression: Back In Black is the 5th top selling album of all time. If you listen to it you'll see why. It is a great album with some great songs. After you hear it you'll want to hear it again and again. My personal favorite songs off the album are "Hells Bells" and "You Shook Me All Night Long". If you have any taste in music you should already have this album (or at least like it) but if you don't I'd recommend buying it. A great buy from a great band. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 04, 2008

Sound: The sound of Back in Black is timeless, just like every other AC/DC album. When my cousin first gave the CD on my iPod, I just let it play in order. Hell's Bell's was a great choice for the forst track, I just sat there listening to the song for like 30 minutes. All through the day I had "Won't take no prisoners, wont't spare no lives" ronging in my ears all day. // 9

Lyrics: All else aside, there is one thing you can say about AC/DC lyrics. The lyrics always relate to the title and sound as the title indicates. Now days it seems many songs don't even have there names in them. Also, for just about every song, there is a sort of effect they create. You feel like you're listening to a foul, explicit song, but there is hardly any profanity at all. Amazing! // 9

Overall Impression: The Overall Impression that any AC/DC album left on people was "that was cool, when do you think they'll make another one?" The band obviouslly knows this and keeps making albums, even in the worst of circumstances, such as here. I hope to see another album soon. I just bought stiff upper lip and loved it. I would reccomened Back In Black, along with the entire AC/DC catalog to anyone. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: J.Dawg, on october 31, 2008

Sound: To let you know this isn`t the CD version of it, it`s in the original Record form, from 1980. The bands sound is great and the music itself is awesome too. From what I can here the music styles are Hard Rock, and Heavy Metal. This is a great album by AC/DC, one of there best, same with their new album Black Ice. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, I think Brian Johnson does a really great job at singing. In compliance of the lyrics with the music is perfect, Brain has a great voice, Angus & Malcom Young do excellent jobs at playing the guitar, esp. Angus being the lead guitarist and soloist, and the rest, just great. Like I said before Brian has a great voice, and he has a great range of singing skills, he`s a perfect singer for that band. // 10

Overall Impression: It probably compares to a few other albums, but I really wouldn`t know wich ones. The most impressive songs from the album are Back In Black, Shoot To Thrill, Rock And Roll Ain`t Noise Pollution, and Hells Bells. I love evrything about it, even concidering that it`s in the Record form, from 1980. It would never get lost or stolen, because it never leaves the house. This is a great album, and it`s awesome. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: Thomasg2488, on november 03, 2008

Sound: The sound is something that no band has ever been able to replicate since the albums's insertion into the hearts and minds of rock n' roll fans on every corner of the earth. The scary thing about it all is that the album is simple. No effects, no added in pinch harmonics or any wowing little things here and there to gain the attention of a individual. It's five guys, using their instruments and their amps, that's it and yet, they still produce a pure heavy and hard sound that has defined a generation of head bangers and bands everywhere. AC/DC has true created a one of a kind ablum that guided the likes of Guns N' Roses and Metallica on to their own success. From the opening lick of "Hell's Bell's" to the anthem "Back in Black" and the sexual inuendo "You Shook Me All Night Long" Angus and Malcom Young's perfectly synced guitar playing, Cliff Williams bass playing, Phil Rudd's simple but effective drumming and Brian Johnson, filling the void that Bon left us with, uses his screaming voice, almost as if yelling to Bon himself, to tell him and the rest of the world that AC/DC are back in black. // 10

Lyrics: They are many people that undermine Brian Johnson's lyric writing abilitly and always critize him, saying he is less than Bon Scott and that he'll never be as good. Shut up already. Bon was truely a great singer, but his time came and Brian stepped in. And boy did he deliver. From his hollowing screeches in "Hell's Bells", "Back in Black" and "What Do You Do for Money Honey" to his melodic tunes in "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution", Brian Johnson characterizes what he is about and what he's here to do. Possible though, the best of the lyrics that he, along with the Young brothers may have come of with the song "Let Me Put My Love Into You". There is no song I have heard since that day I first heard it that talks about sex in such a way that could affend parental and political figures. "Let cut your cake with my knife", that phrase seems so innocent, but in reality, it's describes everything that AC/DC are all about, sex, women, booze and drugs. // 10

Overall Impression: Let's get the facts straight, I'm eighteen and that means my generation has ruined music for me completely. The only thing that I can rely on for new material are the old bands releasing news ablums, such as, you guessed it, AC/DC releasing Black Ice which is possibly Back in Blacks runner up. This album though can never be touched by anyone, no matter how hard they try. Appetite For Destruction, if released before Back In Black may have been my favorite album, but falls second to this one due to one thing. AC/DC would never copy Appetite and would do what they feel is right in their minds. But it never happened in that order. Guns used AC/DC as of their influences to create Appetite which shows what this album has done for other bands all over the world. It has even created Austrailian rock band Airbourne, who are the next generation AC/DC and are our possible hope for good music. Unfortunatly, they will never live up to this album. I hate the reviewers who say that this album is no Dark Side of the Moon (which I also like), but they seem to always forget that AC/DC are a different style completely. They're aggressive, loud, raw, horny, you name it. And it all comes together on this album, this unqiue peace of work, this legend and what will always be one their fans favorite albums. // 10

Back In Black Reviewed by: gabipe15, on november 21, 2012

Sound: Classic Album! Maybe best of AC/DC's. "Hells Bells" starts with pure hard rock, nice touch with the bell rings. "Shoot To Thrill" with its classic riff, surely gets on top too. Rest of the album is pure classic AC/DC with you shook me all night long as the most pop side of the album. Great guitar sound, classic bass, classic drums, what more could you ask from AC/DC, listen and understand why this best selling album deserves its classic rating. Angus guitar sounds as powerful as usual, with his Marshall stack Roaring, I wish I could play that way! Rocks! // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are classic AC/DC too, women, booze and hard rock stuff, nothing exceptional, but matching the music rhythm. Brian's voice matches well the music too, as you can picture him telling that story exactly the way he sings it. Lots of passion into it, classic rock n' roll. If you're expecting poetry and epic storytelling this album won't do it, these are fun, common, nearly familiar lyrics. Maybe more poplike. But hey! It's AC/DC you already knew that. And it Rocks! I don't see why someone would expect AC/DC making poetry Dylan like songs, it's just not what they do. // 6

Overall Impression: It can be compared to another AC/DC albums and nothing else, AC/DC has that classic sound nobody does like. "Hells Bells", "Shoot To Thrill", and "You Shook Me All Night Long" get the best ratings, still today people shake their heads with these. I love every bit of the album, it never gets boring, makes you move your feet, and head alike, and play invisible guitar like crazy! I would definitely have this album forever, and instantly replace it. Nowadays using MP3 for every piece of music, but would definitely check Vinyl or something different for this kind of classic! // 9

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review