For Those About To Rock Review

8.8
 9.2
 8.4
For Those About To Rock Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 09, 2008

Sound: ACDC prove that Back in Black was no fluke with the release of For Those About To Rock. The title track begins softly, piquing your interest for every pick made and for every muscular strum. The opening of 'For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)' is the quietest moment to be found on the whole CD, for as soon as it passes you're thrust into Angus Young's slamming riffs, and they, as usual, sound awesome. However there is definitely something missing here, ACDC sounds a little tired, with songs like 'Evil Walks' and 'Night of the Long Knives' coming out as bland arena-rockers, despite the band's best efforts. This is a prevalent theme throughout the album, it's easy to see why people called For Those About To Rock ACDC's last great CD, because for all it's crunching riffs and bluesy, slithering solo's it's easy to see that ACDC is running out of steam here. // 8

Lyrics: Brian Johnson. ACDC fans have been quite divided when it comes to the screeching successor of Bon Scott. His voice is as raspy and cruel here as it ever has been, throwing out deliciously sinister groans on 'Inject the Venom' and howling like a wolf during 'For Those About To Rock'. But just like ACDC musically, Johnson shows that he's a little short on good lyrical material here, songs like 'C.O.D.' despite being incredibly catchy, make no sense what'soever, whereas others such as the stadium-shaking 'Breaking The Rules' don't exactly scream originality. Lyrically ACDC is just ACDC, which may please some, but others want more of the bizarre, comic crooning of 'Down-Payment Blues' or the straight evil creep displayed by Bon Scott in 'Night Prowler". // 8

Overall Impression: To recap, this is when ACDC started to pigeon-hole themselves into a formulaic album-producing machine that ran for about 10 years before the release of The Razor's Edge, which was a breath of fresh air. The music is solid, if trite, the same can be said for the lyrics. As for highlights, 'For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)' comes first and foremost, others such as 'Inject the Venom', 'C.O.D.', 'Spellbound' and 'I Put The Finger on You' also display the vibrant energy ACDC is well-known for. Start off with Highway to Hell, Back in Black or Let There Be Rock instead, though, because For Those About To Rock is the lesser album. // 9

For Those About To Rock Reviewed by: Redeemed_Rocker, on march 17, 2004

Sound: You gotta love the AC/DC grind. This album is full of it. From the title track, to "Evil Walks" to "Snowballed", this album has just about all the classic Angus Young crunch you could ever want. This has to be one of the best sounding AC/DC albums. // 10

Lyrics: I've always had a little bit of an issue with the lyrics of AC/DC. I love the music, it's incredible. But the lyrics are full of sex and drugs. I know that this is what AC/DC is all about, but I still think they could take it down a notch and still be an awesome band. However, the lyrics fit the music, and in this album, they are superb. // 10

Overall Impression: A great CD, period. If you love hard rock, or are just getting into it, this is a great album to own. If it was stolen or broke, I'd rush out and get it again. One of my all-time favorites. // 10

For Those About To Rock Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The picture on the front of the record says it all: AC/DC are about to blow you away with their high voltage rock'n'roll. The mixture between Brian Johnson's screech and the Young brother's guitars, Cliff William's bass, Phil Rudds' drums, feed on each other and bring out all the best of their music. The title track, with its mellow, but inspiring opening riffs, builds up to a powerfull guitar solo, and something entirely different, the first meeting of a rock'n'roll band and artillery, in a 'twenty-one gun salute'. 'Let's Get It Up', is also something new from the band. It has catchy riffs, and is somewhat funky, almost along the lines of Moneytalks. One of their darker songs, 'C.O.D.' is also on the record and is definetly one of AC/DC's best. // 10

Lyrics: With AC/DC the lyrics have always been, and will continue to be based on the rockstar theory of sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll. Songs like 'I put the finger on you', 'inject the vemon', and the incredibly catchy 'let's get it up', illustrate this point very well. The title track on this record may also fit under this category, but it may be one of the most inspirational songs of all time(outside of the "inspirational music" category). While listening to it one can hardly resist the temptation to pick up their guitar and play, or go out and hit the world with all that they've got. Far from any another AC/DC song in existence is the suprisingly lively tale of the 'Night of the Long Knives'. It is a little known fact that there was an actual Night of the Long Knives during the time that the Nazis had control over Germany. This was supposed to a purge of the SA (auxilliary police force controlled by the Nazis)leadership, but ended up becoming a mass murder of over 2,000 innocent people. So, if you didn't know, now you do, if you did, good for you. But now, time to move on to the singer, Brian Johnson. The man with vocal chords of steel. There is not much more I can say about him, but he may have one of the most intresting voices that I've ever heard, which truly adds to the feel of the record. Everything fits together like the peices of puzzle, which is part of the reason for the legendary status that AC/DC now have. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of AC/DC's finest accomplishments. Although nothing more needs to be said, I will elaborate. This record includes every thing you can always count on to find on an AC/DC record, the mandatory gut-busting solos from my hero, Angus Young, the powerfull rhythm section piloted by one of the best rhythm guitarists out there, Malcolm Young and younger brother Angus, passionate vocals from Brian Johnson, the driving bass line from Cliff Williams, and as always, Phil Rudd kicking the crap out of his drumset. Everything about this record I love, although highlights include 'C.O.D.', 'Inject the Vemon', 'I Put the Finger on You', 'Evil Walks', and of course, the anthem for all those about the rock, the albums amazing title track. All the new AC/DC remastered cd's are definetly worth a look, they've got intresting articles and lots of purdy pictures. My personal recommendation, for anyone with a record player, vinyl captures the essence of AC/DC as they were in 1981 and shows us the true spirit behind their music. For those about to rock is truly an awe-inspiring lp from the masters of rock'n'roll, AC/DC. Please excuse my ramblings and for those about to rock. I salute you. // 10

For Those About To Rock Reviewed by: JustinYap, on june 22, 2006

Sound: I was always a huge fan of AC/DC, and this album was their last album. I felt this one wasn't as good as their older stuff, but this CD is still one full of timeless hits. Of course, I think the best one would be "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" with the whole stadium atmosphere going on, and Angus Young with the intro, giving the listener a feeling that the song was destined to keep rockers going for years and years to come. Angus' unforgettable riffs were still unforgettable, Malcolm's Rhythmic Power Chords still solid, and Brian Johnson's high pitched raspy voice still commanding. There were small hints of a kind of pop feel to it, with songs like "Inject The Venom" and "Night Of The Long Knives". But this album didn't lack the old attitude AC/DC had with their songs, with songs like "Snowballed" and "Evil Walks". So far, AC/DC hasn't lost their good old sound, but to me this album was a little different, somehow, compared to their legendary ones like "Back in Black" and "Highway to Hell". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics too, were typical AC/DC type verses. Worshipping Rock n Roll, lines that get parents worried everytime they hear it, and titles that might have double meanings if you read and listen closely enough. I always thought that the lyrics in AC/DC's songs had a nice rock n' roll attitude towards it, and this album is no different. And I don't think there's anyone out there that could bring out the lyrics better than Brian could, sounding like he "gurgles boiling oil", he also brings out that stadium rock feel in the lyrics of the 10 tracks on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: There is a reason why AC/DC is among the biggest rock superstars in this century. And this album was their last, and is definitely a decent something for people to remember them by. Although I don't think it's their best work, this is still something that could decently stand for what AC/DC is all about. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably get their "Family Jewels" DVDs. // 9

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review