High Voltage Review

ac dc: High Voltage
Released: Oct 1976
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
AC/DC's debut album, High Voltage, is a stripped-down collection of loud, raw, rude rockers.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
High Voltage Reviewed by: Bonscott4ever, on october 27, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is classic AC/DC at it's finest. The glorifing torch for hard rock fans everywhere. This album was a giant middle finger to the disco albums of the day. The distortion of the guitars is just the right combonation of crunch and punch. AC/DC has always had a blues influence to there music and this album really shows it off. From Malcoms Rythyms to Angus' solos. Every Track on here sounds like it took days to make, with pain-staking effort for just the right sound. When in reality it was just a compilation of there first two Austrailian Releases. Bon Scott does his best work on this album and the studio drummer and bass player (who was George Young, brother to Malcom and Angus) do a fine job of helping the redcording sessions go on until perminets were found for the spots. // 10

Lyrics: We ALL know AC/DC isn't really known to have the most profound lyrics ever written. But Bon did such a fine job combining smut with rock. The Jack for example might seem like a card game but really it's about an std. There lyrics have always been like that because they're music is the same way simple. But Bon had a way to make it seem more than what it was because he sang them with such power and emotion. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all a very good album for anyone to purchase. Whether you're and avid Classic Rock fan who still wants more, or perhaps you've heard of AC/DC and you really want to start listening to them. This Album is perfect for. Every song on this album is a classic in it's own right. I don't know how any other debut album could be better (this was there American debut album released in 1976). The only othre debut album to compete with this is The Strokes' debut Is This It. If it were lost, stolen, eaten by bears, scratched, or anything I would jump at the chance to buy this again. I love this album. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: speedyboy60, on august 17, 2006

Sound: I've been a fan of AC/DC for years now, I love their bad-boy style of rock and roll. This great hard rock album from the '70s was one that fueled the stereotype and legend of drugs, sex, and rock and roll. 9 tracks of pure rock and roll lifestyle. Angus Young and SG deliver impressive solos and catchy riffs. The track "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)" features a bagpipe solo and then another bagpipe solo alongside the guitar solo. Bon Scott's main place of origin was Scotland, so there is no doubt the track was highly influenced by him. Most of the songs focus on the main reality of being a part of the rock and roll lifestyle and sharing some of the obstacles they encounter as being rock and roll stars. // 10

Lyrics: They lyrics all have tough, naughty, in-your-face type of attitudes. AC/DC is a legend of rock history and many of the lyrics support the life of women, booze, drugs, fighting, and being famous. This is what rock was all about wasn't it? Somewhat of a confidence giver in that manner, giving you an aggressive outlook on goals and help you be determined to reach your dreams. Bon Scott performance of the songs not only sounds good, but gives an authentic feel to the songs. Anyone can sing about being a rock star and living life on the edge and doing crazy stuff, but Bon and the group actually did live life a lot like that and were able to take there reality experiences and turn them into magnificent music, and since these guys were the real deal, they represented that type of music and lyrics were telling their way of living life, the way they actually lived it, making this right up their ally for the bad boy rock superstar group AC/DC. // 10

Overall Impression: This may not have been the #1 selling AC/DC album, but it was definitely worthy of recognition. In my opinion, this was the best album produced with the singer Bon Scott (he died in 1980 and new lead singer Brian Johnson took his place). My personal favorite song in the album is "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)". I loved the bagpipe solo played by Bon Scott. It's very catchy and it's impressive how the bagpipe solo plays along side with the guitar solo. I love the scene of AC/DC. This is a rock and roll album about rock and roll music, and I think it represents a great way of my way of life and who I am. There are really no cons to this album, unless you don't like vinyl CD cases, but still, at 8-11 dollars it's well worth it. I listen to this CD at least once a day, and I've owned it about a year, so I'm pretty fond of it and would definitely replace it in a second if something happened to it. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: Nick6106, on march 06, 2008

Sound: First, I would like to say this is the first AC/DC album I ever bought and it's my most treasured album from them. This albums sound is hard rockin balls out blues inspired album with probably the best riffs Angus Young ever came up with. I was really impressed on how they included bagpipes in the song It's a Long Way to the Top. It uniquely compilments the song in every way. This album proves that the spirit of AC/DC is still alive. // 10

Lyrics: Bon Scott is one hell of a singer. The lyrics on the ablum range from the subjects of sex, anger, and rock and roll. The lyrics describe who and what AC/DC is all about. and that is pure rock and roll right there. The lyrics tell stories or send messages to the listener saying " Your in for a Rockin good time." // 9

Overall Impression: This album is in the list of my favorites. T.N.T on that album is the first rock song I ever heard, so it's a life changing album for me. I was immediately hooked on that album once I got for Christmas. It will never get old for me. I love just about everything on that album, but the song Can I Sit Next to You Girl not really a favorite. If it was lost or stolen I would totally get it again. And another note about it, another reason I love this album because it's very sentimental to me, When my uncle passed away I put this album in his coffin, It was his favorite album too. Every time I listen to Live Wire I think of him. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: playinbass1432, on march 17, 2008

Sound: High Voltage, released circa 1976 in the U.S.A, is the (overseas) debut album of the rock 'n' roll legends from down under. This album contains some of the bands most famous songs from the Bon era, such as the anthem It's A Long Way To The Top, TNT, The Jack, and Live Wire. The latter being their show opener for years afterward. As for the sound, it's not the instantly recognizable crunch that AC/DC has become known for, but it's good nonetheless. The guitars are nice and overdriven, the drums are audible, and the bass sounds nice as well. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical AC/DC. Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. Pretty much the same formula they've used for just about all of their lyrics for their entire career, but it's good because the stupid lyrics are really part of the AC/DC charm. Bon was always good at writing the lyrics, this especially is prominent in the slow blues shuffle "The Jack". As far as vocal skill goes, Bon is number 1. He is one of the greatest frontmen in rock history, and his voice was very gritty, almost a gravely half-scream. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is brilliant. Not their best, but it did pave the way for the next American released album (Let There Be Rock, Dirty Deeds wasn't released in the states until 1981). Overall, it's a great bluesy album and is certainly a must have for any AC/DC fan. // 9

High Voltage Reviewed by: Shoestick, on february 26, 2004

Sound: One of the most common cliches used in rock music both today and its childhood years back in the 60s is the saying "sex, drugs and rock and roll." Well, if there was one album that truly, truly deserves to be labeled with that grand slogan it is High Voltage. The album is one hard rock song after another; theres no pauses for folk-inspired acoustic ballads or experimental jazz poetry, no attempts to show off the versatility of the band with alternate genres or styles, just pure rock. The music is extremely rhythm based, thanks to Malcom Young, an excellent riff writer whose sound is on par with that of a rhino in presence and sheer musical weight. The rhythm guitar is complemented by the solid (albeit simple) drumming of Phil Rudd. The only thing the album really lacks is good bass support, as it is usually overpowered by the rhythm guitar and leads. Speaking of leads, what really made not only this album but all early AC/DC was the two devil frontmen: lead guitar Angus Young and lead vocals Bon Scott. Because of the solid, catchy and blocky rhythm section, Mr. Young is able to play an astoundingly brilliant lead and really does. With bluesy guitar solos and melodies, they work so well together its almost as if brothers were playing (wait a second...?). As for lead vocals, the most reckognizable voice in rock, Bon Scott, delivers a fantastic performance full of screeching and seductive pitch changes. Overall, the different pieces of this band are all prime examples of hard rock tone and technique that, when combined, deliver the musical equivalent of a freight train. // 10

Lyrics: This album established to the world that AC/DC was about rock. There was no deep meanings, no complicated allegories, no distant metaphors, it was purely about glamour, sex, money, fame, and drugs. Whether it`s the fast, strong, challenging lyrics of T.N.T, the powerful chorus of Gonna Be a Rock n Roll Singer, or the provocative growling of The Jack (which is about as deep as the songs get; it is understandable innuendo. Lets just say its not about playing cards), all the lyrics are catchy, sung with perfectly fitting emotion, and have lines worth quoting in the rock and roll history books. The only reason I give it a 4 is the lack of meaning. While they perfectly complement the style, on their own they arent premiere examples of songwriting. // 8

Overall Impression: If you're looking for a place to get into AC/DC, this is definitely your golden gate. I, along with many other fans, consider it the pinnacle of AC/DC greatness; all (nearly all) of the songs could be hit singles, yet the album progresses amazingly as a whole. Although I have already pointed out its merits and demerits, I think the thing that makes this album so great is it does not fall into the pittraps so many others do; theres no trying to reach a wider audience with more variety and no outside influence. The only real problem is, with a band that relies so much on rhythm, the bass is frequently underused. The album is definitely worth a purchase and repurchase, be it needed, if only for the remastered art and booklet. In short: get it. Now. As a last notable fact, this album is a complimation of nearly all the songs released on the first 2 AC/DC albums: T.N.T and High Voltage, which were only marketed and distributed in Australia during the band's beggining. All the tracks that were not released on this can be heard on 74' Jailbreak. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2005

Sound: This album should only be used when one is in need of rock. This album has crazy solos and headbanging rhythms. If you don't like '70s rock don't listen because you won't like it but if you like bands like Led Zeppelin and stuff like that get it and pop it in. But actually one or two of the songs are very bluesy and the beat might have you snapping your fingeers. // 10

Lyrics: Bon Scott (their lead singer) may have a screech-like voice but it's not scream-yell, laryngitis inducing kind of singing. It 's really innovative. I've the lyrics usually don't make a whole lot of sense, but they're cool anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it's one of AC/DC best albums. The only other one that's as good as it is Dirty Deeds. The best songs are It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll), Rock N' Roll Singer and High Voltage. If this was lost or stolen I would jump to replace it. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: Spartan 117, on january 04, 2006

Sound: AC/DC knew what sound they wanted from the very beggining. An agressive onslaught of high voltage rock 'n roll. This is one of the records that inspired me to pick up the guitar. One thing that I think is amazing and pioneering to the shape of this record (and rock) is the introduction of the one-handed maestro Angus Young. He can definitly do it all, you probably know. But in his earliest stage of recording, you just wonder how he gets that searing tone out of his SG and how he's better than you at 18 when your 40 and have been playing since you were 12. Another introduction that's important to the record and rock alike is the rock solid foundation that is Malcolm Young. Easily the best guitarist to live. Yes he is better than Angus. Just listen to the record again and try to disagree with me. Bon's whisky soaked voice along with the constant beat of Phil Rudd's drums. The hardly heard of bassist Mark Evans provides, what else but early AC/DC bass notes (even though George Young played bass on some of the songs until they found a permanent posistion holder). No pedals or stupid tunings. Just the way good rock 'n roll should be like. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, lyrics are great and they really go hand and hand with the guitars. Bon has to be the best frontman ever. He can deliver any line in any way he wants to and it'll sound awesome. Here the tracks and my thoughts on them. 01. Baby, Please Don't Go - written by one of the bands big inspirations. That guy is Joe Williams. The guitar solo section is introduced with one of Angus's one handed licks. When Bon screams something, Angus screams it back in a launguage all his own. 02. She's Got Balls - this is one mean riff with lyrics dedicated to Bon's wife. She asked him to write a song about her, heard this and filed a divorce. 03. Little Lover - another Bon to wife song. Since She's Got Balls was before this one on the record, she apparently never heard this gentler side of Bon. 04. Stick Around - a track that has nothing much to say except that it's a solid song that was sadly never released in the US. 05. Soul Stripper - a song that was the half-way part of the record that showed how both Angus and Malcolm could rip. They traded solos back and forth until Bon told one of his (soon to be many) infamous love partner stories. 06. You Ain't Got A Hold On Me - can't really tell you what I know this song is about a girl that forces Bon into doing whatever she wants kind of like Soul Stripper. 07. Love Song - I'd disagree on this being a wimpy power ballad. It is actuley great instrumentaly. The intro has Angus tapping a bit. Now this is not Eddie Van Halen (the first Van Halen album was released in 1978) It is classical inspired. Vocal wise, it sounds like Bon really loved his wife (or his girlfriend he probably met 5 minutes after the divorce). 08. Show Buisness - wow! Lyrics that are kind of repetitive but still satisfying at the same time. Absoultly great with 3 guitar solos. // 10

Overall Impression: This is easily one of my favorite albums AC/DC made. Easily up there with Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Fly On The Wall and Stiff Upper Lip. (yes, I love Fly On The Wall) I love every song on this record. Ecspecially Baby, Please Don't Go. I love the basic rock 'n roll/blues compositions. With no effect devices, it makes the band sound more impressive. Nothing to hate about this album except for one thing. It is not sold in the US. I was lucky and got this and TNT for $9 each. If this was stolen, which it won't be since I don't take it outside the house, I would definitley search and hunt down this treasure. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: Gibson_SG_uzr55, on august 16, 2006

Sound: This album is AC/DC at thier absolute best! It is raw, punchy, and badass. Angus and Malcom Young are the greatest guitar matchup in the history of rock n' roll. Bon Scott is the greatest singer who ever lived. He had the strength in his voice that was never there before, never has been, and never will be another. Phil Rudd (drums) doesn't play fills, so the drums are consistant and have effective feel. Throw in Mark Evans bass, and you have the legendary AC/DC sound, simply known as hard blues-rock n' roll. The riff for "It's a Long Way to the Top" is one simple chord, and is catchy as hell. "The Jack" has a nice, bluesy tone, and "Live Wire" and "TNT" are hard hitting and powerful. The whole album defined AC/DC's killer sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics one of a kind. Bon was a lyricist that had his own style. If you disagree, name another band that had a complete, three verse song called "She's Got Balls". When I first got the album, at the time all I was listening to was Christian rock. When I heard what Bon was singing about, I was like "Holy shit, what do we have here"? Each song's verses go great w/ the chorus, nothing is off the topic of the song, and they stick in your head. "Live Wire" has some nice metaphor's in it, as does TNT. The vocals also have a perfect match w/ the guitars. There will never be another Bon Scott. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite AC/DC album of all time. Thay are my favorite band. It was also my first non-religious rock album, so it got me into rock itself. I love everything the CD has to offer. The best song is definitely TNT. Perfect intro for the song style, great rhythm, awesome vocals, phenomal solo by Angus, and the ending is like TNT, it is practically exploding instrument sounds. If I lost it, I have burned copies, but w/o those I would not wait another week to buy it again. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: AngusYoungsheir, on december 23, 2006

Sound: AC/DC'S debut album was, you could say, a serious shock to the system. It's been said in many places that the British thought it was the Aussie's answer to punk. The album was badly reviewed by many magazines and they were seen as a bunch of lads who made a lot of noise. They were to say, less than impressed. But for other aspiring Rock fans, it was a blessing in disguise. The albums Guitar sound is pretty basic, mostly gained by cranking up the Marshalls. This album has some really classic songs, such as "It's A Long Way To The Top" and T.N.T. Thes are probably the best examples of AC/DC's sound on this absolute cracker of an album. // 9

Lyrics: Bon Scott was probably the better lyricist of him and Brian Johnson (although Johnson is the more accomplished singer), and his writing skills are shown to great effect her. Need I mention tracks such as "She's Got Balls" and "Little Lover". He screams with animal magnetism, and the lyrics just fit beautifully with the song structure, although AC/DC never gave a toss about structure or paid much attention to the rules. The Young brothers wrote "Can I sit next to you girl" on their own though. // 8

Overall Impression: An overall good debut from the lads, although no doubt the best was still to come (you can make up your mind as to which one). It shows perfectly what AC/DC were about, a no frills, no gimmics Rock band with a general f--k em all attitude. As for me, if my copy was stolen I would definetly buy it again, as it marks an important part in the bands history, how they began, the album doesn't really cost that much, so in my opinion, you should definetly buy it. // 9

High Voltage Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on january 05, 2008

Sound: This is the first AC/DC album released in the US in 1976, and it was a good debut. The album sounds very classic and holds true to the AC/DC sound we have all come to know and love. It is pure rock and roll with a blues based influence. You can tell that it is early AC/DC based on the simplicity of the riffs. Angus still lays down some sweet solos, but they don't use a wide variety of chords. But it was not bad for a band whos lead guitarist was 15 or so. // 8

Lyrics: Bon Scott shows his great use of wordplay. No matter how innocent it sounds, you can never be to sure with Bon. Take The Jack for example. Sounds like it's all about a card game. Listen closesly, you'll see. He also shows that AC/DC was, and is, all about rock and roll. Songs like Rock and Roll Singer are all about how much he wanted to be a rock star. That was a life dream. Bon also displays his wild vocal talents that helped to make AC/DC so popular. // 9

Overall Impression: Not the best AC/DC album, but it is very good. I would suggest buying this after you have one or two other AC/DC albums. But it is a great rock album. The best songs are, It's a Long Way to the Top (If you wanna rock and roll), The Jack, TNT (which is the most famous on the album), High Voltage, Live Wire, and all the others are great. The album gets a bit repetitive on the riffs, but not too much. It's just the same chords, but none of them sound the same. If it was stolen, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy it again. I need it for my AC/DC collection. In brief, it's a great album debut album for a band that was on the edge of taking the world by storm. // 9

High Voltage Reviewed by: Voodoo Chile, on november 12, 2008

Sound: AC/DC had released 2 albums (High Voltage and T.N.T) in their native Australia prior to their 1976 international debut, which picks the best tracks from both previous efforts. The band's classic sound is already on full display; loud, in your face guitar work from the Young brothers, Angus and Malcolm, a hard hitting rhythm section comprised of Mark Evans (bass) and Phil Rudd (drums), and the sneering, raunchy and often-times tongue in cheek vocals of the late Bon Scott. As was the trend of early AC/DC albums, the sound is more bluesy than much of their work with Brian Johnson later on, and for me represents AC/DC at their best. 01.It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock N Roll): with the whole song essentially based around just one chord, it is the perfect introduction to AC/DC, simple and rocking. The bagpipes provide a wink to Angus, Malcolm and Bon's Scottish heritage. Just a brilliant song. 10/10 02.Rock N Roll Singer: a good, solid song describing the band's aspirations to make it in the world of rock n roll. 8/10 03.The Jack: a slow, simplistic blues number, with the highlight being Bon's witty lyrics, it has become a live staple ever since. 8/10 04.Live Wire: starting with only a thumping bass line, it builds and builds into a real rocker. Some great lead work from Angus, and a great rebellious overtone to the lyrics. 9/10 05.T.N.T.: menacing and daring throughout, it is a perfect song for a crowd to sing along to, with Angus lending his vocal talents to the famous chant of "Oi! Oi! Oi!". The song ends in chaos (the good, rock n roll type chaos) and is a classic. 9/10 06.Can I Sit Next To You Girl: the band released this as their first single with original singer Dave Evans, who was promptly replaced by Scott. Scott's re-recorded version is better than the original, and is a good song in it's own right, but one of the weaker on this album. 7/10 07.Little Lover: while this song isn't bad, it is in my opinion the worst on the album, seeming to lack the energy of the other songs. 6/10 08.She's Got Balls: Bon's humorous tribute to his then wife, and is often over looked by many fans, a very catchy songs that will have you stomping your feet. 8/10 09.High Voltage: a terrific blues rock number, with heaps of energy and a fantastic sing-along chorus, an excellent way to end the album. 10/10 // 9

Lyrics: AC/DC lyrics have never been, for the lack of a better word, deep. In fact, they are about as shallow as you can get, and that's exactly the way they want it. Topics include sexually transmitted disease (The Jack), rock n roll, (It's a Long Way, Rock N Roll Singer, High Voltage) and rebellion and danger (Live Wire, T.N.T.), among other things. This simplicity is intentional, you can't misinterpret an AC/DC song, and more importantly, and perhaps what has made them so successful over the years, who can't relate to songs about simply having a good time? Bon for me is the best signer AC/DC had (though I struggle to think of a better replacement than Brian Johnson), and his charisma really shines through in all the songs. My favourite line is from the The Jack disguising STD's as a card game; "All the cards were coming from the bottom of the pack/ If I'd known what she was dealing out, I'd have dealt it back". // 8

Overall Impression: AC/DC's debut album is great, a long way from being their best, but considering how good some later albums are, that is nothing to be ashamed of. While there are a few weaker tracks, most have gone on to become classics, with It's A Long Way and High Voltage being the highlights for me. And again, while it may not be their best album, it is a fantastic debut and a great place to start for anyone looking to get into the band. If stolen/lost, I would replace it immediately, as it is one of the finest albums in my collection. // 9

High Voltage Reviewed by: powerage225, on august 10, 2004

Sound: The first 'real' album bassicly sums up the entire AC/DC sound. Raw, powerfull and stupid-in a good way. Bon Scott does his job in the vocal department, same as allways, giving AC/DC the intoductory album an in your face 'screw disco' persona. It's music to my ears, music the main point, not focusing on your clothes and your -ahem- costume like bad pop music. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics. Not really much in this album, the highlights being 'getin robed/gettin stoned/gettin beat up/broken boned'. Lyrics don't really matter in this album because the sound of the vocals and guitars blend together like grilled cheese and sandwitch. If AC/DC were a person, in general matter, he would be Bon Scott-Born to sing for AC/DC. // 6

Overall Impression: High Voltage is one of the bands big albums even though it didn't sell well in its day. It's top five-simply Back In Black, Highway To Hell, Let There Be Rock, High Voltage-in that order. Trust me I am mr AC/DC, and this record is pure AC/DC. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 25, 2005

Sound: I personally think that this album is awesome. A lot of the songs on this album are a little bit more blues-sounding Especially "The Jack," "Can I Sit Next To You Girl," and "Little Lover" (which by the way are all great songs). AC/DC and blues? I know it's kind of weird, but it sounds good. "A Long Way To The Top," "Rock And Roll Singer," "Live Wire" and "TNT" are all typical AC/DC songs (awesome), however they have something different that I can't really put my finger on. I think that the guitar in some of them like "Live Wire" and "TNT" is more sparce. Like in triplets or something like that. Great album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in these songs arent particularly different from the rest of their stuff. Good, mostly about girls or drugs or something like that. I was surprised when I heard "The Jack" that it was about a card game (it kind of reminded me of 'The Jack Of Hearts' by Bob Dylan). The vocals in this album are unusually clean. Bon Scott's voice isnt very raspy at all. His voice sounds kind of strained, which I don't usually like, but here it sounds really good. They have a lot more backup vocals on this album than they usually do. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awesome album! Buy it right now I command you! Go forth. All of these songs are awesome. // 10

High Voltage Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 07, 2005

Sound: This album has a very bluesy sound. Tracks like The Jack, Can I Sit Next To You Girl are a few examples of the bluesy sound. The solos are awesome and most tracks are awesome and the one track that is not awesome is still good but just not good enough to be called awesome. That track is Little Lover. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are at times quite amusing 'The ladies got balls she's got balls'. It is clear know one else can sing these lyrics like Bon because he doesn't just sing them he brings character to the lyrics which is why in my opinion he is better than Brian Johnson. // 9

Overall Impression: It in my opinion is simply their best album because every tracks is good and most tracks are awesome so it's bascially the perfect AC/DC album. The highlights are The Jack, It's A long Way To The Top, High Voltage, Can I Sit Next To You Girl, She's Got Balls and TNT. This is an awesome album and one of their rare albums where every track is good. An important is even on the famous Back In Black not every track was good just listen to Have A Drink On Me or What Do You Do For Your Money Honey. I rest my case on that one then. By this album you will not be disappointed. // 10

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review