Highway To Hell Review

ac dc: Highway To Hell
Released: Aug 1979
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Highway to Hell is not only a fitting epitaph for Bon Scott, it's also a classic rock & roll album.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.5
 9.9
Highway To Hell Reviewed by: AMERICAN PRICK, on november 29, 2005

Sound: Yes my fellow rockers this album is perhaps one of the best classic rock albums of the late '70s and the last AC/DC album with Bon Scott as their front man before he died. The album has AC/DC's classic style of pounding rock and ace riffs and solos. This album contains the awesome track Highway To Hell that really shows us what this band is made of the intro is absolutely awesome; metal my friends, pure rock and roll metal! Just listen to Highway and try to say that opening riff doesn't make you want to play air guitar. Well does it? And there is more, more great tracks such as walk all over you, touch to much and of course night prowler. // 10

Lyrics: The last AC/DC album with Bon Scott as their front man before he died. The album has AC/DC's classic style of pounding rock and ace riffs and solos and Bon Scott's awesome lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: The albums most impressive songs include Highway To Hell, Girls Got Rhythm, Walk All Over You, and Get It Hot. This album is a classic and any rock fan should own a copy; I do and I love it. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: Bleed Blue, on june 05, 2006

Sound: Highway To Hell, this has to be one of the greatest albums ever released. In a lot of other albums, there are strong songs, but also some very weak songs (kind of like "one hit wonders"). But in Highway To Hell every song is strong and they all vary in style. The song Highway To Hell is of course one the most known songs in rock history because it rocks! Girls Got Rhythm has some great guitar riffs. Walk All Over You is an all out rocker with its tempo shifts and heavy rhythem guitar (thanks to Malcom Young). Touch Too Much is an excellent song and has some of AC/DC's finest lyrics. Beating Around the Bush is one of my favorites with its great organization and great guitar from Angus. Shot Down In Flames is also one of my favorites and is one of Bon's greatest concert songs. Get It Hot is a great dance tune by AC/DC. If You Want Blood (You Got It) is definately a top notch, frantic rocker. Love Hungry Man is a great song and links If You Want Blood to Night Prowler. Here's a fun fact: the members of AC/DC didn't like Love Hungry Man as a song, but I don't know why. Night Prowler is an awesome song with its emotive solos and heavy lyrics. Night Prowler is a little "darker" than most AC/DC songs, but it's ended in a joking mood by Bon using an out of character line "Shazboz, nano nano". Highway to Hell captures Bon at his best. Too bad it was his final album with AC/DC as he died less than a year after making it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Highway To Hell are definately some of the best, most imaginative of any AC/DC album. Bon even drops one of his more clever lines in Touch Too Much, "She's got the body of Venus with arms". Critcis were always saying that all of AC/DC's songs were the same, all being about sex and drinking. But that's what we have all come to know and love, right? Also, many highly religious people think that Highway To Hell is an ode to the devil, but it is just a rock and roll song played by a rock and roll band. Anyway, the lyrics and the guitar parts are organised very well and neither is overshadowed by the other. This album also shows that Bon Scott is one of the greatest singers and song-writers that ever lived. // 10

Overall Impression: Highway To Hell is definately one of greatest albums of all time. If you love AC/DC, or just rock in general, you should definately go out and buy it if you haven't already. Every song is a hit on this album. They all rock. My only regret about this album is that it is Bon's last. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2007

Sound: Highway to Hell for me is probably one of the greatest rock and roll albums of all time. It's the classic sound of ac/dc as always with Bon's cheeky but always witty lyrics, Angus's timeless blues riffing, Malcolm's impecable rhythm work, Cliff's simple, groovy but powerhouse basslines, and Phil Rudd's solid drumming. Every song for me on this album is just timeless, and every one just conjures a image of them having a right laugh while recording it, which is what makes 'Dc my favourite band. It's always been about the rock and roll and having fun to them which gives me great respect for them. For a new listener to DC, this is them at their best, and should be sitting pretty in any rockers collection. Absolute masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are classic textbook DC, expect plenty of lyrics about booze, women rock and roll and all of the above. Angus and Malc's cheeky, but never old riffs complement Bon's cheeky, innuendo lyrics perfectly. Bon, in my opionion was one of the finest, If not THE finest voice in rock. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to anything, it's just too good. My favourite song from the album probably just has to be Touch Too Much, it's such a groovy little song, with a brilliant sing along chorus. Every song is great on this album, and I hate nothing about it, only the fact that Bon is no longer with us to continue singing these timeless pieces of rock history. If it was stolen, I would be glad that someone is so desperate to listen to AC/DC they resorted to stealing it. As long as it keeps the kids off of commercial rubbish like 50 Cent and My Chemical Romance, then it would help me sleep better. Buy this album now, or you are not a true rocker. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: Night Prowler, on april 23, 2004

Sound: This album is honestly probably one of my all time favorites. I listen to it all the time. The sound of the album is sick. Angus Young deffinatly proves himself as a great with this album. Bon Scott has a real badass voice that brings it all together. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics arn't something you'll have to think about for the day to figure out what the meening is but atleast they get the point across. I think the lyrics work well with the sound anyway. So I think there great... // 10

Overall Impression: If you do or don't play guitar this album will want to make you pick up a guitar and never put it down. Atleast it did for me. I couldn't stop trying to play the songs and solos on this album. Buy this damn album, there isn't one song not worth listening too. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: ZeppelinZed, on february 09, 2006

Sound: Yes, it's true everyone: Highway to Hell is indeed the final album produced with legendary frontman Bon Scott before his death in 1980. And what a final album it is! Their sixth album realeased at the time in 1979, it was the first of three to incorporate the world renound rock producer John "Mutt" Lange. Wiht his expertise in enhancing the production value of songs, Bon's lyrical and sexual charisma at an all time peak, Angus absolutely tearing it up with furious solos, and the trio of Malcom, Cliff, and Phil providing remarkable rythm throughout, this is in my opinion their greatest album ever. Every single song on here perfectly melds the art of brilliant lyrics with the some of the most intense riffs and solos you will ever experience. I honestly can't tell which I love more: The lusty wordplay or Angus's non-stop guitar! I cannot possibly select any favorites, but I will simply say that there is no turning off this album after the opening track of Highway to Hell. // 10

Lyrics: During his tenure as Ac/Dc's vocalist, Bon exceeded everyones expectations of him as a lyricist time and time again. This album is absolutely no different. While every song showcases his fluid use of subjects such as sex, sex, and more sex, my personal favorites would include Touch Too Much ("She's got the body of Venus with arms"), If You Want Blood You Got It ("Feelin like a Christian/locked in a cage/thrown to the lions/on the second page"), and Girls Got Rythm ("Enough to stop a freight train/or start the third World War"). All in all, pure lust is exuded from all ten tracks in one form or another. Bon also showcases his humorous side with the soft spoken Robin Williams quote "Shazbot-Nano-Nano" at the end of the near freightening Night Prowler. And, as always, Bon's unmistakable high pitched screeching works flawlessly with the rest of the music and really gets your blood pumpin. // 10

Overall Impression: If you consider yourself a rock fan and do not own this album, I suggest you slap youself right about now. This master piece does not receive nearly as much credit as it deserves. Simple yet intense guitar riffs, enough solos to dive you insane attempting to learn all of them, and one of the absolute best vocalist/lyricist in rock history, how can you not buy it? // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2007

Sound: The sound of Highway to Hell is perfect. Angus's guitar sound is perfect and he has a slew of good riffs. There is honestly nothing I like hearing more than when Angus hits that A Chord on the opening part of Highway to Hell. The guitar solos are also good. Phil Rudd on drums is very good, his simple drumming is the driving, energetic part of AC/DC's songs. Bon Scott is arguably the best part about this album, truly the sound of a hard rocker. In my opinion, Bon is the one of the best if not the best hard rock/metal singer ever. The sound of AC/DC is truly their strong point, proving that they are arguably the greatest hard rock/metal band ever. R.I.P. Bon Scott 1946-1980. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, honestly near perfect. Highway to Hell's lyrics are rebellious, ("Hey Mama, Look at me, I'm on my way to the promise land") Ha. If your extremely christian, I wouldn't buy this album besides the fact the album is entitled Highway to Hell, some of lyrics are offensive towards Christan in the song If You Want Blood You've Got It, which is ironically, my favorite song on the album (I'm not satantic). Overall, perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm am one of the biggest AC/DC fans around, and I would say this is my favorite album by them besides Back in Black. This is also easily Bon's best album. The best part of this album is AC/DC's sound. Every aspect of it perfect. Angus is one of the best guitar players ever, not because of techicall playing, but because of the tone of his guitar and the riffs he plays. Nobody is better at creating riffs than the Young Brothers, Angus and Malcolm. As I have said before, Bon Scott is arguably the greatest hard rock/metal singer ever, but it's difficult to describe his singing, it's a mix of a scream, razor sharp voice, and just pure good singing. You need to buy this album even if you have never heard of AC/DC or never really cared for the music, because, I can guarntee you, you will enjoy listening this album. The best songs are Highway to Hell, Walk Over You, Girls Got Rhythm, Touch Too Much, and my favorite, If You Want Blood (You've Got It). Trust me, this is one of the greatest hard rock/metal albums of all time. Truly a Masterpiece. Long live AC/DC. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: Stian_S, on june 10, 2005

Sound: On this album, we hear a band thats is more professional. Compare this towards "High Voltage" then you will hear! They've gotten a new producer, Robert John Lange, and he pulls that little extra out of the band. The way Angus and Malcolm fills up each other, Bon's magnificent voice, Rudd's drumming skill and Cliff's bass work sounds totally awesome on earlier albums, and here they're even better! The sound of this album is hard-rock and sometimes blues (listen to Nightprowler). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are consists of mostly one theme: sex and girls. Rumore says that girls got pregnant only by listening to "Beating Around The Bush." There are only one song who doesn't have those topics, that's the album starter Highway To Hell. If you listen to the first line in Girls Got Rhythm, you'll here the skill of Bon. The way he uses his voice, if gives me cold down my back. And when Malcolm and Cliff enters as backing vocal you reach a high peak on the song. They've got great singing skills to back Bon. Its hard to describe it, you got to hear it! As with all AC/DC songs, the lyrics fit the music perfect, Bon is a superb songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other albums, I would say that this is the best, "Back In Black" is right behind it. The most impressive song got to be "Girls Got Rhythm," but the best riff is "Beating Around The Bush." I don't hate this album, I only love it! This is the best guitarmusic you can get. If it where lost I would run to the store to get a new one. If you don't have this, you miss something in your life. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: jfsj123, on january 31, 2007

Sound: I think Highway To Hell is an amazing album becouse it's so down to earth rocking album. AC/DC are a hard rock band with a fun and dirty sound. The songs are so different styles such as "Highway To Hell" gets you going and just makes you want to shred the guitar with Angus Young jaw dropping solos and Bon Scotts singing. "Girls Got Rhythm"is an upbeat song with a great upbeat rhythm and Bon Scott singing about girls, girls and girls. Bon Scott tragically died in a Pub in 1979. Meaning this was AC/DC's last album with Bon Scott. This album consists of rock, hard rock, blues and classic rock. This album should be in the top 10 albums in rock history. // 10

Lyrics: Girls are the order of the day on this album for Bon Scott. The thing that stands out the most on this album, lyrically is Bon Scotts anthemic chanting on Highway To Hell which just blowed me away. The Lyrics fit in with the rythm of the guitars and drums and Angus Youngs solos all over the record. Bon Scott arguably is one of the greatest Frontman of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album just is fantastic and this style of music inspired 1000's of musicians all around the world. AC/DC sold more albums than any other Rock Band. Which really says something about them. AC/DC are better than the crappy modern bands today (yes I'm referring to emo). "Highway To Hell", "Girls Got Rhythm", "Walk All Over You" and "Touch Too Much" are my favourites of the album. If this was stolen I will find out who stole it rob his house and give him a black eye. I love This album and AC/DC always will inspire me. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: SGofawesome, on january 27, 2010

Sound: AC/DC is easily the hardest hard-rock band on earth, there's no denying it. The one thing that justifies my statement is their sound. Very hard guitar, which compliments Bon's voice well. The sound of his voice is just raspy enough where it fits the balls-to-the-wall sound of AC/DC. My highlights vocally on the album are Highway To Hell, Girls Got Rhythm, and Shot down In Flames. Night Prowler is also showing some skill in Bon's voice as well. Angus and his SG are at his best here, Brilliant solos, Best riffs out of any album, Girls Got Rhythm is my favorite Angus riff of all time. There's no denying it. Don't even wanna go into the drums, it's pretty self explanatory. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are BRILLIANT here. This is a breakdown of the songs, even though all of them have amazing lyrics. 01. Highway To Hell: great, memorable lyrics, best song lyrically. 02. Girls Got Rhythm: you know what it's about. What I like about AC/DC is the simplicity of their lyrics, and it shows here. 03. Walk All Over You: good lyrics, once again simple, but not showing much creativity. 04. Touch Too Much: jeez, when isn't there an AC/DC song about sex? Great lyrics, compliments angus's guitar 05. Beating Around The Bush: Not great lyrics, but the vocals are good. 06. Shot Down In Flames: amazing lyrics, a vocal highlight. 07. Get It Hot: another good vocal performance, like his voice especially in this one. 08. If You Want Blood (You Got It): the best lyrics on the album. Simple as that. 09. Love Hungry Man: the only song I really didn't like. The lyrics sound a bit recycled. 10. Night Prowler: not great lyrics, but an amazing job at vocals. Bon is one of the greatest singers of hard rock. He's probly up there rocking with Jimi hendrix, John Bonham, and John Entwistle. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Highway To Hell: best song on the album by far, this song is a great opener, the guitar solo is the most simple yet, but the most amazing on the album. An easy chords song to learn. 10/10 02. Girls Got Rhythm: another AC/DC Classic, when you hear this on the radio, it makes you just wanna blare it and dance around. Sounds like it could've been on Let There Be Rock, but I'm sure happier it was on this. 9.5/10 03. Walk All Over You: not well known, but it has good guitar. The song is a good listen once in a while. 7.5/10 04. Touch Too Much: strictly for AC/DC fans, and no, you're not one if your favorite song is back in black. This song has amazing guitar, a memorable song. 8.5/10 05. Beating Around The Bush: just a filler, not much to say about it, another recycled riff. Song meaning is pretty self-explanatory. 7/10 06. Shot Down In Flames: 2nd best on the album, and wow does it hit you. This has the best guitar of all the album hands-down. No question about it. If you want to escape from the mainstream AC/DC but still want something just as hard, this is the way to go. 10/10 07. Get It Hot: a catchy tune, not very memorable. While the vocals are good, they stick out like a sore thumb. Not meaning that they're overpowering, but just a poor performance from the rest of the band. 7.5/10 08. If You Want Blood (You Got It): instant classic, the first time I heard this was on Talladega Nights, and I knew right away I had to have this album. Amazing lyrics, one of the most catchy riffs, but hey, that's AC/DC. Guitar solo is memorable, Bon is my hero in this song. 9.5/10 09. Love Hungry Man: boo...worst song on the album. Like I said eariler, vocals sound a bit recycled. 7/10 10. Night Prowler: a favorite among real AC/DC fans, but still not memorable. Lyrics are nothing special, but the vocals are to die for. 8/10 Highlights of this album are: Highway To Hell Girls Got Rhythm Shot Down In Flames If You Want Blood (You Got It) Overall, there is no way anyone can hate this album. It's pure AC/DC, and Bon went with his head held high. Nothing to hate about it, except some lyrics could've been better. The guitar is also at it's best here. Angus has never banged on the strings better.Shot Down In Flames is amazing live. If I ever lose this album, I will buy 7 more copies just to make sure it never gets out of my grasp. // 9

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2004

Sound: This is Bon Scott's finest record ever. The music is pure hard Rock and Roll and it does not dissapoint. This album sounds awesome nice heavy guitar riffs and face melting solos. This album is one of AC/DC's all time greatest album and is a Rockin Album. // 10

Lyrics: The song writing from Angus, Malcom and Bon are very well done. Songs like Highway to Hell mean different things to alot of people but the meaning is the hard concert life of the group. Other great songs are Walk All Over You and If You want Blood You got It are very well written songs that stand out and are very awesome to listen too. // 10

Overall Impression: AC/DC is a group that has come a long way and no artist can compare the sounds that come from that album. This album is very high energy and for and AC/DC fan like me this is a must have, great dricing record or just listening to your self. I give it Overall 5 because its a album that rocks and shouldnt be put down // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2005

Sound: Highway To Hell has a great sound to it. Bon Scott's vocals go right along with the music. Malcom's guitar is basic but it sounds good and thats what realy counts. Drums are a little better than earlier albums if you listen, bass is not that good but it's AC/DC and that should sorta be expected. And Angus sounds great as always. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not bad. As I had said earlier the vocals go right along with the music. If you realy listen though the lyrics are not that great but they sound better than the lyrics that they wrote after this album writen by Brian Jonshon. They are not as good and Bon would also be a part of the music and say whatever he wanted no matter how it sounded. So I guess I would would give them a low 5. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probebly my favorite AC/DC album even over "Back In Black." It sucks that Bon died he was a great singer and he fit AC/DC, but to be honest they probebly would not have been any where near as big as they where if he would not have died. This is the last album they recorded with him and it sounds great. Well, if you listen to AC/DC or just sorta like them you should get this album it's totaly worth it. And if you like this album I would also suggest "High Voltage" and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap," they're pretty good. // 10

Highway To Hell Reviewed by: Rockstar112, on january 09, 2008

Sound: This is my personal favorite album by AC/DC. It's an amazing CD with 10 power driven tracks that will will blow you away. This was AC/DC's last album with their first frontman Bon Scott before he tragecially died in 1979. This CD is all hard rock with the highlights of the CD being "Highway To Hell", "Touch Too Much", "Shot Down In Flames", and "If You Want Blood (You got It)". // 10

Lyrics: Singer of the time Bon Scott, was quite the showman and his voice fit the band perfectly for their sex, party, power, rock n' roll songs. He, along with the Young brothers wrote the songs and delivered some great hard rock songs.The lyrics of the songs display everything I mentioned above and more. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definitely one of my favorite albums. The songs are all great on this CD with catchy riffs and face melting solos. I love every song on this album and can listen to it over and over again. Hopefully I never misplace this album because that would leave me one great album short. // 10

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review