If You Want Blood You've Got It Review

Released: Dec 1978
Label: Atco
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock, Aussie Rock
It's essential listening for metal fans.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.7
 8.2
 9.1
If You Want Blood You've Got It Reviewed by: Evil Kid 93, on june 15, 2005

Sound: This album captures AC/DC at their best: in concert. There's little to no overdubbing on here, so the raw energy of the group's live performance is still held intact. They performed some of their biggest hits from the time, like "Riff Raff" and "Whole Lotta Rosie." The whole band sounds amazing on each song, especially lead singer Bon Scott. He really gives his best screams on here. The crowd is great too, I just love listening to "The Jack" and hearing them chanting "She's got the jack!" Great stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Of course, we all know the typical basis for AC/DC lyrics: sex, drugs, and rock n' roll! What makes the lyrics so great on this album though, is that some of them have been altered for some songs. A good example is "The Jack." You know how the studio version's lyrics were about poker? Well, in Australia, where the band hails from, "The Jack" is a slang term for venereal disease. So, the change in the lyrics is... I think you get it. Anyway, about Bon's singing; he sounds damn good on here, he puts his heart into every single scream, making his sandpaper bark of a voice sound almost as good as on Highway To Hell. Bon truly was a great perfromer. RIP Bon. // 10

Overall Impression: This was AC/DC's first live album, recorded during their 1978 Powerage tour, and in my opinion, it's as good as, or maybe even better their second one. As I said before, there's little to no overdubbing, which helps to capture the raw sound that makes AC/DC's live shows so great. You really get the feeling of an actual live concert from this album. If You Want Blood is definitely a winner in my book. This is something every AC/DC fan should own. // 10

If You Want Blood You've Got It Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on august 08, 2006

Sound: This was a live album that AC/DC released back before Bon Scott passed away (my favourite member of AC/DC). However, even for AC/DC, this proved to be a very lousy album in my opinion. Back when I was a huge AC/DC fan, this album still disappointed me. It seems sloppy, noisy, and above all; half-assed. Angus, who had a big reputation for being great live really dropped the ball in these performances and I honestly can't think of a great one besides Bon's vocals, which were always up to par & great-sounding. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are well sung, and Bon does an excellent job at singing in every single track! This is most definitely the highest point of this album for me. Especially when he does that big yell before "Whole Lotta Rosie" kicks in: it's pretty much perfect to the original recording. This live album really made me feel down about Bon Scott going (and the over-rated Johnson replacing him). // 9

Overall Impression: Well, I was disappointed with this album, so if you're a big AC/DC fan, don't bother with this one, just go for the studio recordings: that's where AC/DC always seemed to shine for me anyways. Personally, the highlights of this album are Bon Scott's vocals as I mentioned earlier, as well as the unaccompanied guitar solo that Angus did towards the end of it. It really seemed to get the crowd going and it's pretty cool. But other than that, well. I never really got into any of these live performances so I really can't suggest any except "Let There Be Rock" (where Angus did the guitar solo I mentioned). Honestly, if I lost it, I would not replace this album, in fact, I'm actually trying to get rid of it (even though I only paid $9 CAN)! // 5

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review