Let There Be Rock Review

ac dc: Let There Be Rock
Released: Jun 1977
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock, Aussie Rock
Let There Be Rock kicks up the energy level a notch from its predecessor.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.8
 9.1
 8.4
Let There Be Rock Reviewed by: ummagumma, on august 02, 2004

Sound: Immediately after hearing the title of the record, you know what you're in for, and AC/DC do not disappoint. Let There Be Rock is a treat for your ears, it has eight consistent tracks, all of which are great rockers that you would expect from, in my humble opinion, the world's greatest classic rock band. The record opens up with a tune entitled 'Go Down' which is full of lyrics that could hardly be considered subtle. This is followed by 'Dog Eat Dog', and then the history lesson which also has doubled as AC/DC's mission statement for the past thirty years, 'Let There Be Rock'. During the recording of this song, the amplifier the band's lead guitarist, my hero, Angus Young was using caught on fire, but he still continued to play. The band's most lyrically cliched, but also very catchy, song, 'Overdose' is also on the record, and to top off the record, is Bon Scott's ode to a rather obese groupie, otherwise known as 'Whole Lotta Rosie'. Through and through it is a great collection of songs, from a great band in their prime. It is filled with quick-paced riffs, and even faster, but still melodious, guitar solos, and heartfelt vocals from Bon Scott. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are comparable to the lyrics on most AC/DC records during the Bon Scott era: Good old-fashioned fun mixed with sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. Bon Scott was always the master of double-entendres and other methods of clever wordplay, this is the most noticeable on 'Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be', yet another AC/DC classic. Another high point, lyrically speaking is, of course, 'Let There Be Rock'. It tells the story of a 'ninety-two decible rockin band' and of how 'it came to pass, that rock'n'roll was born'. All the songs on Let There Be Rock have great lyrics, and Bon Scott has the perfect voice to match Angus and Malcolm Young's guitars, Cliff Williams' bass, and Phil Rudd's drums. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to other AC/DC records, it is one of their best. All you could want on a record is there; solid riffage and outrageous solos by the Young brothers, Cliff Williams' pounding bass lines, great drum contribution by Phil Rudd, and intense vocals by none other than the late great Bon Scott. The most impressive song on this record is by far, the album's title track, 'Let There Be Rock', it includes a brief rock history lesson, and a pleasing quick-paced guitar solo. Other honourable mentions are 'Bad Boy Boogie', 'Whole Lotta Rosie' and 'Dog Eat Dog', although there are no bad songs on the record, those are a couple of the best ones. AC/DC makes 'Let There Be Rock' such a good listen with their overabundance of talent, energy, and ability to make records you can truly bang your head to. Keep in mind though, it is much better when played extremely loud. // 10

Let There Be Rock Reviewed by: powerage225, on august 09, 2004

Sound: Hot damn-the sound is what makes the album. Big emphasssssis on the guitars. Kindof a bluesey-hard rock sound. Great vocals as usuall, good job Bonny. Drums very good also, Rudd is very good at laying off the crash and sticking to the eight note swing rhythm hi-hat. // 10

Lyrics: Same old same old, chicks rock and booze thats Bon Scott for ye. But it's his vocals that everybody comes back for, working perfect with the guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: No fillers here, thats what I look for in an album. Usually costs a little bit more than most AC/DC albums though, totally worth it. Bassicly a classic album, gems like "Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be," "Whole Lotta Rosie" and "Let There Be Rock" or as scott would say, "Letthereberock!" Don't forget about "Go Down", a bluesy cut about the ladies, "Dog Eat Dog", a toe tapper on the music buisness, and all the rest of em. Sorry for cutting it short but its simple, go buy this album. // 10

Let There Be Rock Reviewed by: Drewfedorka, on july 13, 2005

Sound: The sound is classic AC/DC, it has a very live sound to it. It is loaded with catchy guitar riffs by Malcolm and very emotional solos by Angus. It also has the singing of Bon Scott which I love because it has a specific growl to it that makes his singing instantly recognizable. The title track (Let There Be Rock) is what this album is all about, really cool riffs and Bon's awesome voice. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just what you'd expect from Bon, it talks about rock n' roll and encounters with groupies. Just what I love to hear AC/DC talk about. Also hearing Bon yell "Let There Be Rock!" will leave that song stuck in your head for days. The same goes for the chorus of "Problem Child." // 10

Overall Impression: The CD as a whole is very good. The only reason I gave it a four is because it doesn't quite compare to "Highway To Hell," "Back In Black" or "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" (the three other albums I own of AC/DC). There are more than its share of hit songs on the album though. "Problem Child," "Let There Be Rock," "Whole Lotta Rosie," and "Dog Eat Dog" are all awesome. I like this CD enough that if I ever lost it or it got stolen I would for sure buy it again. It is Just what AC/DC is about and is a great cd to add to your collection. // 8

Let There Be Rock Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on december 11, 2007

Sound: This is a great album for all rock fans. It has the classic Bon Scott era sound. The music is straight foward rock and roll, that's it. Don't buy it if your looking for slow songs. This is something you want to get pumped. This album still has original bassist Mark Evans. The band sounds good and young throughout the album. // 8

Lyrics: As usual, Bon provides some great lyrics. They are what rock is about, Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll. But he still uses great wordplay. Bon is the only singer who could sing about something completely innocent, but still make it dirty. He also shows his vocal abilities throughout the album, showing why he is considered to be one of the greatest voices in rock. // 9

Overall Impression: This is personally one of my favorite AC/DC albums. I think it's the best one done with Bon. The best songs are, Let There Be Rock, Whole Lotta Rosie, Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be, Go Down. It's good to just hear a solid rock and roll album, and AC/DC is the right band for that. If it were stolen, I might personally hunt down the dude who took it. If your looking get into AC/DC, this is a good place to start. // 9

Let There Be Rock Reviewed by: loco999, on may 26, 2009

Sound: Another great album of the Bon Scott era. Let there be rock show more raw power then the High Voltage and Dirty Deeds. However, the prouduction of album always give me some filthy feeling and I really dont know if it makes me feel good or bad. Anyway, songs prove their quality also on live performance so the "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be", "Dog Eat Dog" and "Let There Be Rock" are on the setlist for the Black Ice tour. Album contains excellent rock'n'roll/blues riffworks and Bons harsh and screaming vocals mixed with hard 4/4 drum beats and simple bass backings. Best example of that is "Let There Be Rock" (song) . Powerfull hard lead riff, great pentatonic solos, simple and hard drum rhytm and Bons rock'n'roll preaching are the aces wich made "Let There Be Rock" (song) part of the every tour since 1977. Same thing is with "Whole Lotta Rosie". The great old fat hooker had found her place in hearts of AC/DC fans all around the world. This song is total classic. What impress me the most is great guitar solos. Whole pentatonic-made, up and down speed scales hit you with so much much energy that you wish to jump around your room like Angus. "I never smoked me no cigarettes, I never drank much booze", whatta irony... "Overdose", another great song from the Let There Be Rock. Very catchy refrain and very good riff, but that one-minute intro is little bit over the top. Do I even have to mention "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be", "Dog Eat Dog" or "Bad Boy Boogie"? Every song album is great except "Crapsody In Blue". I mean, I like this song very much, I like that blues feel and great blues riff, but I can't swallow Bons vocals on this song. it's too melodyc and it just don't fit AC/DC. When we speak about AC/DC very rare theme is the drummer. Everyone speaks about Angus, Bon, Brian, Malcom, sometimes bass players, but it's very rear to find someone to talk about Phill. I think his drumming goes with AC/DC like the girl goes with boys. His powerfull 4/4 beat with no drum solos raise tension that you could cut it with the knife. // 7

Lyrics: All songs are written by A.Young, M.Young and Bon Scott. What can you expect from that trio then the great old sex, drugs and rock'n'roll themes. Only "Dog Eat Dog" speaks about the cold,cruel world, life on the streets, business world. What I like with AC/DC is humor in their lyrics. Best examples on this album are "Crapsody in Blue" and "Bad Boy Boogie". I've already mentioned how the production of this album makes me feel filthy. And that filth totally fits their dirty and filthy lyrics and vocals. Just listen to the Bons moaning on "Go Down". Do I even have to explain how Bon is great? To me personaly he is like big source of charisma and energy. His powerfull strong harsh vocal its the thing that miss in AC/DC since he's gone. No doubt, Brian is great too, but Bon will always be one and only. His voice is like 5th instrument in the band. And he writes much better lyrics then Brian does. Best thing on the album is Bons preaching on "Let There Be Rock" (song). On the past albums they had storytelling like on "Ain't No Fun" great metaphoric meanings on "The Jack", but this preaching thing is totally new and its great. "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be", one hell of the song about one hell of the down ass bitch that drinks Bons booze, puts him down, spends his money and so on..."Don't mind her playing demon, as long as its whit me, 'cause if this is hell, then you could say its havenly, hell aint a bad place to be". Also Bon shows all his aces on this song. // 9

Overall Impression: People usually say that every AC/DC album is the same. If you look on this like that then yes, it can be compared to every AC/DC album. But from my (and yours) guitaristic side you can find many differences. From my opinion this album have opened the door to the great "Powerage" and I think that "Let There Be Rock" (album) is most similar to "Powerage". If you buy this album and you don't know about AC/DC I recommend you to start with "Whole Lotta Rosie", "Let There Be Rock" and "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be". True AC/DC fans and knowers would certanly say "Dog Eat Dog", "Overdose" or something like that. Good thing with AC/DC is that they are very easy to listen and they get you up with they powerfull sound and interesting (sexual, humoristic) lyrics. Every true rock'n'roller woudnt forget to make compilation of AC/DC for his party or somethig like that. What I love about "Let There Be Rock" (album) is that dirty, edgy sound of the guitars. Maybe just little more gain or overdrive would make it even more better. // 8

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review