Stiff Upper Lip Review

ac dc: Stiff Upper Lip
Release Date: Feb 29, 2000
Label: East West
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Album Rock, Aussie Rock, Arena Rock
With Stiff Upper Lip, they're not at classic status, but they're still top-notch. This may not be the first AC/DC record for a collection, but once you're into their scene, it's a fine place to be.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.4
 8.8
 7.9
Stiff Upper Lip Reviewed by: teenrocker, on december 11, 2006

Sound: AC/DC are still at it. Come the turn of the next millenium these guys prove that you are never to old to rock and roll! Stiff Upper Lip comes five years after their life-affirming Ballbreaker album. There is far more jazz style grooves than classic rock anthems but apart from that, the AC/DC sound is still the same. The Young brothers seem to be experimenting with finger and hybrid picking a lot more, but who cares? It's AC/DC! // 10

Lyrics: Brian is once again writing his lyrics, for which I am happy he decided to do (Brian stopped writing after Back in Black but picked it up again on Ballbreaker). His growl is quite established and contained in contradiction to some other albums where it gets slightly out of hand. Simple lyrics have always been a key to AC/DC and nearly always showcases AC/DC's favourite subjects: sex, beer and rock and roll. It's quiet amusing to hear 50 something year old men singing about this sort of stuff but hey, 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it'. // 10

Overall Impression: AC/DC have always maintaned a steady rock sound and Stiff Upper Lip keeps this going but adds in lots of extra twists. Clever little riffs replace supreme chord-chundering and the bass lines are more prominent. This is one of favourite Dacca albums and with good cause. A very musically impressive album that you can just listen to over and over again. If I was to hate something about this album, it would be that I can't write songs as well as these masters of rock can. Stiff Upper Lip is very much a return to their well earned legendary status. // 10

Stiff Upper Lip Reviewed by: Metallica AC/DC, on november 23, 2006

Sound: AC/DC is the hard rock band. What is perhaps best about them that almost no other band could pull off is that each AC/DC album, and most songs for that matter, sound the same. They have never experimented, they played the same kick ass hard rock they always do and it was always great. Stiff Upper Lip is no exception to that for the most part. The biggest difference between this album and the rest of their catalogue is that this is their blusiest album in years. The riffs are a little less hard rock and a little more blues driven, and the result is great. The entire album is full of high energy blues rock from start to finish. // 10

Lyrics: AC/DC are not lyrical genious's but they certainly know how to sing about things we all enjoy. This album has the usual AC/DC themes of women and having a good time, and has even has some great rock anthems such as Can't Stop Rock N' Roll and Hold Me Back. House Of Jazz and Safe In New York City are about exactly what their titles say, it's simple but it works. Brian Johnsons vocals are more throaty than ever, and it's great. The man still has a hell of a voice even though it's not quite as strong as it was in the '80s. He is still the voice of hard rock. // 9

Overall Impression: Stiff Upper Lip is a great album. It's easily in the same league as High Voltage, Let There Be Rock, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, The Razors Edge, and the many other classic AC/DC albums. The title track, Safe In New York City, and Hold Me Back are the best songs on the album. They show that Angus, Malcolm, and the rest of the crew still has what it takes to make incredibly memorable and powerful riffs and vocal hooks. Almost every other song on the album is memorable to different degrees. Come And Get It, Satellite Blues, Damned, and the others are all songs that will bring you back for more than one listen. The high energy blues on this album has made for another AC/DC great, a definite must have and is definatly good enough to buy again if it were lost. Almost nobody can do it as well as AC/DC, the masters of Hard Rock. // 10

Stiff Upper Lip Reviewed by: angus is god, on november 27, 2006

Sound: This album is one of my favorites from this band. As an avid AC/DC fan I was surprised at how Bluesy the album sounds. The shock to me was the difference in sound between this album and the albums of their previous years that included The Razors Edge, Ballbreaker, Fly on the Wall, ect. Instead they sounded like the band that they used to be in the beginning of their careers. The bluesy/rock that they used to be in the Bon era. Probably the songs that showed their still a blues band the most are House of Jazz, and Stiff Upper Lip. But Angus doesn't let down a bit on the rock side of the album with his shock and awe solos, awesome riffs, and great guitar skills. // 10

Lyrics: All AC/DC fans know that Brian Johnson doesn't have the same voice and lyrical skills that Bon Scott had, but Brian Johnson doesn't try to get his voice as high pitched in this album with his deteriorating voice unlike in The Razors Edge and Ballbreaker and there couldn't have been a better replacement. His voice now is more suited for the blues which is what he was aiming for in this album. Some of the lyrics in the songs don't make very much sense with the rest of the song. Also I thought they used the title of the song a little too much in the songs. Of course they still talk about parties, women, and overall living wild but that's what they are good at. I'd rather hear about parties and having a good time then listening to depressing songs. // 7

Overall Impression: This album overall one of their best. Angus shows that even in his old age he can still play like a madman. I love how they went back to their roots with all the blues tracks but still maintains their rock image with the rest of the album. AC/DC is my favorite band and will always remain my favorite. // 9

Stiff Upper Lip Reviewed by: Metallica224, on february 02, 2007

Sound: Overall I am a big fan of AC/DC's sound but I was a little disappointed to find that on this album ths sound was far more bluesy than ever before and is something I don't particularly like. However, I noticed that they seemed to be experimenting with different pick styles which I find good as it makes the music sound different although the bluesy sound is not different for the best. // 6

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are good and fairly simple. I think that Brian's vocal range on this album is slightly less stretched but who can blame him with a voice as well used as his! I do think that some of the vocals on this album do not vary enough between songs and at times make the songs all sound the same which is obviously not good although overall I like the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that this album is an excellent album for a 30 year old band although is not as good as there previous albums of recent years. The most impressive songs are safe in new york city and satellite blues which are both excelleng songs. What I don't like about this album however is the blues/jazz sound which lowers the quality of the album. If it were lost I would not buy it again I would just burn a new one as all the songs are on my computer but if they weren't then I doubt I would buy a new copy of this album. // 8

Stiff Upper Lip Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 10, 2008

Sound: ACDC. For nearly 40 years these guys have been rocking the world, and Stiff Upper Lip proves that despite some blemishes (Fly On The Wall, most notably) they still have it. The songs are filled with fills (yes, very funny) solos and incredibly catchy riffs that you can't help but tap your foot too. I know when I first heard the opening track I had to pick up my guitar and jam along to the sweet bluesy crunch of Stiff Upper Lip. ACDC, at this point, may not exactly be blazing new trails, but they sure as hell know their own ground like it's no one's business. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical ACDC, filled with suggestive, crude and simple rhymes that you can't help but chuckle at, despite their childishness. Frankly it's good to see that lyricists Angus, Malcolm Young and Brian Johnson haven't lost their respective touches over the years. However some tunes, such as 'Safe In New York City' seemed a little lackluster chorus-wise, but minor blunders are easily excused when you realize that the verses include such sleazy rhymes such as, "Movin' all over like a jumpin' bean take a look at that thing in the tight ass jeans comin' your way now you may be in luck don't you fret boy she's ready to buck" Johnson's voice certainly has waned over the years, his inexplicably demonic screams off 'Back In Black' and 'For Those About To Rock' have been toned down, and he relies more often on backing vocals here more than ever, but I'll be damned if he still doesn't blow me away with his signature wails. // 7

Overall Impression: While the CD could have been cut down a couple songs, it comes off strong as ACDC could have made it, and they crafted a tight, muscle-bound album to be sure. If you haven't explored the recent ACDC and prefer their older material, try listening to 'Stiff Upper Lip', 'Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll' or 'Satellite Blues', all of which (among many others) stand up to their best material. // 9

Stiff Upper Lip Reviewed by: loco999, on november 27, 2008

Sound: On this album AC/DC went down into blues. I personaly think that blues is big part of their music, you can feel it on songs like "The Jack", "Boogieman", and almost all early riffs. Whole album is recorded with low gain on guitars, improved bass, hard drum rhytim and Brains well-known vocals. Album might have blues-inspired riffs, but they're still raw and rough. This is the album that brought AC/DC into 20th century, and like it made a big step or turned another page from the 90s, becaus it's totally different from "The Razors edge" and "Ballbreaker". In past interviews Angus said that his childhood heroes were Chuck Berry and John Lee Hooker, and I think that he totally proved it. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are good as they always were. it's the same old story. One-night stands, drinking all night, rock'n'roll, living on the streets, my woman had left me... and so on. But I think that every person who likes AC/DC wouldn't care if the lyrics are same on every album because it's just rock'n'roll. You can't expect arty, sensitive lyrics or some love ballads from band wich sings all their life about dirty deeds with Rosie, drinkin all night on highways, peeking on little girls like boogieman... and other stuff like that. I must also say that their lyrics totally fit their music on album. Spookie riff on "Safe in New York City" totally fits their spookie theme of lyrcs, slow groove on "Come and get it" totally fits the drunk atmosphere... Even the opening song, "Stiff Upper Lip", shows you what can you expect from the least of the album. There is one interesting thing about Brian. At the time that he had joined AC/DC he had a great voice. Then he ruined it with smoking and drinking. But in the 90s he had that monstruoz voice. And now with ages his voice is getting cleaner and cleaner and I like it very much now. // 10

Overall Impression: Well people say that every AC/DC album is the same. And Angus himslef said that there has never been nothing new about AC/DC, but I must say that I don't agree with that. Yes, it's true that you just need to hear the opening riff and you will know that's AC/DC rocking off the speakers. But every album have it's own small differences in recording, amp-settings, vocals, riffs... but my point is that it doesnt't matter, AC/DC will always be AC/DC. Even if this album have this blues feel it doesn't mean that it's different from the others. You can steel feel the energy of early AC/DC on songs like "Give it up", "Stiff upper lip", "Safe in New York City". And there are also great hard rock tunes like "House of jazz", "All screwed up", "Damned" and "Can't stop rock'n'roll". But what I like most on this album is that that AC/DC had showed that their fans will always be there even if they play blues, power-pop (as they called them in late 80's), or something third because AC/DC will always had that great fill of rock'n'roll in their songs. // 9

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review