Frehley's Comet Review

ace frehley: Frehley's Comet
Release Date: 1987
Label: Megaforce
Genres: Pop-Metal, Hair Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Frehely's Comet is just as good (perhaps even better) than Kiss albums from the same era like Asylum and Crazy Nights but is a letdown when compared to 1978's far superior Ace Frehely.
 8.6
 9.2
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Frehley's Comet Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Ace Frehley has done well here, from coming out of Kiss and going straight into a solo career that overall is a very impressive band. It sounds like the band Kiss never were, going away from all the flash costumes and merchandise and getting down to the gritty rock and roll that Ace Frehley grew up listening to. You can here a distinctive Rolling Stones presence on this album. I think his guitar choice was interesting throughout this record as he uses what he used with Kiss, his endorsed Gibson Les Paul however he customized it and had it fitted with a bigsby and you can here when he uses it for vibrato on the album. Overall I think the sound deserves an 8 as it's a very good sound but it's a bit dated. It's a bit '70s when this record came out in the '80s. We want keyboards! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but that's why I've had to give it a 7, they're just good. Theirs nothing really that amazing about the lyrics. Rock Soldiers has some clever lyrics in it such as 'If the devil wants to play his card game now, he's gunnar have to play without an Ace in his deck' referring to himself and how drugs and alcohol got the better of him in Kiss. I think that the lyrics fit well with the music however it's a bit Beatles (Abbey Road era) as it is the bass and drums playing as the singer sings and then you get a lead lick or riff after the singer which isn't very original which caused it to get a lower number out of ten. I think Ace's singing is good and very gritty and rock and roll but hasn't really changed from his days in Kiss however he definately has become more confident. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this album could be in comparison to The Beatles Abbey Road with the George Harrison style lead fills after the vocals and also maybe to Kiss' Hotter Than Hell but with a slightly more crisp tone. The most impressive songs on the album for me without any doubt are probarbly Rock Soldiers, Into The Night and the instrumental Fractured Too which I believe is a remake or a second version of Fractured Mirror, the instrumental on his Kiss solo album Ace Frehley. I love the way that Ace has come out of Kiss very confident and put out an album of original material that actually sounds very good and very Ace however, I don't really like the fact that a lot of the stuff seems borrowed from other artists but without borrowing from other people the music business would be nowhere. If the album were stolen/lost I would buy it again, because I collect anything by Kiss and also the sheer genius this album is, I was amazed at just what Ace put out their, I knew he had the potential but wasn't sure if he could succeed in doing so, and he has. // 8

More Ace Frehley reviews rating latest review