Don't Cut Your Fabric To This Year's Fashion Review

artist: action action date: 06/10/2005 category: compact discs
action action: Don't Cut Your Fabric To This Year's Fashion
Released: Sep 7, 2004
Genre: Rock
Killer guitar riffs, feedback wails, dance beats and Mark Thomas Kluepfel's spine-tingling wail paint visceral haunting images that explore the similarities of divine opposites like life and death or love and war.
 9.8
 9.6
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Don't Cut Your Fabric To This Year's Fashion Reviewed by: Uncommonresults, on february 11, 2005

Sound: When I saw the commercial for this on MTV, I thought nothing of it. But then I saw it again and again. So I decided to do some research on them and found out that they were very good. So I decided to buy the album. When I listened to the first few tracks I was amazed. This was very good for a first album! They did excellent on the keyboards! The bass and drums were very good also. On most of the songs they didn't have as much guitar that I could hear, because their guitar player is the lead singer. But I love the songs they have out on the CD. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics were different then what I had heard, the way he sings them and the way he sounds just puts something in it that makes it excellent. We need someone with a voice like this and lyrics like this in today's society where you can hardly tell two bands from each other. In my opinion they sound a little bit like the cure without the accent. Don't know what you guys think. // 10

Overall Impression: This album all in all was very good. Once I got it I was so happy I put it in as soon as I could and I started listening to this. If stolen or lost then I'd buy it again in a heart beat. So go out and buy it. I'd recommend this album to those who are fans of The Killers, Interpol, and maybe The Cure. There is probably nothing I don't like about this album. The best songs on it in my opinion would be Drug Like, Don't Cut Your Fabric To This Year's Fashion. // 10

Don't Cut Your Fabric To This Year's Fashion Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Sound: I first heard the second track on this CD, "Drug Like," on a victory records sampler, which was all middle of the road emo/screamo stuff, pretty boring, until the last track, which completely blew me away. I immediately went out to buy this, but I'm afraid if your in the UK like me you might have to order this one. The rest of the album is easily as good as drug like. Their style is completely their own. Although, personally I can hear a big cure influence, especially on the vocals, which sound like a less british robert smith. Theyre are also some very effective, raw, punky backups on a few sounds. Its nice to hear theyre not over used, as they so often can be. The instrumental parts make heavy use of analogue sounding synths, a very raw sound, but not one which makes it unlistenable. Mostly Simple but effective bass and guitar parts underly this sound. Theyre are a few standout guitar riffs, making appropriate use of an aggressive, lo-fi guitar sound. Namely on "Lets Never Go To Sleep" and "Don't Cut Your Fabric." The drums on this record perfectly compliment the sound, adding interest where needed with occasional use of drum machines and electric drums. Overall, this record has a very impressive original sound, with quite an obvious cure influence, that is not unlike bands like the killers and the bravery, but without that slighly over-produced feel. If your interested in checking their sound out you can hear two of their songs on www.purevolume.com/actionaction. // 10

Lyrics: Very clever, insightful lyrics, without sounding contrived or pretentious. Often they take an unexpected turn, a refreshing break from the very predictable rhymschemes in alot of todays music. The Lyrics also compliment lead singer Marks interesting voice perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: You can draw comparisons between other artists, although they do have a distinctive sound of their own. I think Action Action would be popular among fans of The Cure, The Bravery, The Killers, as I've already mentioned, but also, Joy Division (maybe), Head Automatica, The Faint, Mae, Motion City Soundtrack. I love the whole album, but if I was to introduce someone to this album id probably play them "Photograph" or "Drug Like" first. Honestly I love everything about this, and I definately would buy it again. The sound certainly wouldnt appeal to everyone, but I think many people would, like me, absolutely love it. I don't think its possible to make perfect music, but I feel its completely deserving of the overall rating of 5 as excellent perfectly describes this. // 10

Comments