Kill The Headlights Review

adema: Kill The Headlights
Release Date: Jun 26, 2007
Label: Immortal
Genres: Post-Grunge
Adema is here and awesome as ever with they're new punk CD Kill The Headlights.
 Lyrics: 6.3
 7.1
 7.7
 6.4
Kill The Headlights Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 23, 2007

Sound: Adema for me was one of the first punk/grudge rock bands to meet my ears. I've always kind of been into a sort of alternative/screamo type genre and I must say some of their songs met me as a refreshing change. I still love my musical taste but some particular songs such as All These Years and Brand New Thing really stuck with me! Their beat seems to have that kind of '80s impression with their drums seeing you listen to certain songs and don't really pay attention to the rhythm yet with Adema's songs you can't seem to stop tapping right along with them. Something interesting I notices while viewing upon Adema's new CD "Kill The Headlights" is that when using their base they like to mix it right in with they're lyrics unlike you'd do with say power chords and solo's in particular. They're base seems to complement the vocals as well as visa versa. // 8

Lyrics: Considering they do share some of their Screamo skills with their fans they don't seem to co-exist the two, being Vocals and screamo together as well with one another such as The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus or say Underoath and Senses Fail. Although I do truelly love the way they use their backup singers/vocals. They somewhat remind me of how Sum 41 likes to put their lyrics together at the same time and give it an new interesting view of the entire song. A great example of that would also be "Feeling This" by Blink 182 where they take the chorus and another verse and use them to complement one another. They seem to give you something new with every song but with the clever mix of simple solo licks and verses as well as the dramatic power chords their sound seems to mesh well. It isn't anything special in particular excluding like I said with the base. Excluding one song that I noticed that particularly stood out. On Days Go By the solo (2:22-2:33) and then the solo mixes with a series of power chords seemed to help make the words stick out in ways that you must listen and it just doesn't seem to let go. Personal impression of coarse! As for the singers voice, he's good but it's just a voice. He kinda reminds of Lost Prophets lead singer but I haven't listened to them in a few weeks. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe this new CD "Kill The Headlights" Represents they're music with flying colors as well as gives you a variation of their skill towards music. As I said before some of their songs where preferred by me but hey, I'm picky! I believe without a doubt that no matter what kind of music your into excluding a specific few genre's that you will enjoy at least 1 song on this CD. It probably depends on your point of view for the most impressive songs on this CD but as I said before on the sound section of this review I enjoy "All These Years" and "Brand New Thing" most of all compared to the rest of songs on this album. If there was no other way to get those songs via iTunes or some other way that is legal, that's how I like to do things then I would most definatly go get this CD again. // 9

Kill The Headlights Reviewed by: madoc stone, on september 10, 2007

Sound: This CD is incredably good. I've noticed that in the past, Adema has addapted so well to style. Back when Adema's frontman Mark Chavez(John Davis's half-brother) was there, their way of playing in general was simple but good. After two cds, they adopted a new singer, Luke Caraccioli, for their CD Planets. They way of playing was totally different. So different that it did not sound at all like Adema but something with almost a seventies kind of sound to it. I was very impressed by how complex they became. It was as if the singer was needed to make the change in the band and they did very well. Unfortunately, their singer didn't stick around after to make a second, he was getting homesick and was tired of being on tour. So now a couple years later, they're back with their third singer, Bobby Reeves. Not only that, but a new member of the band, Ed Faris(guitars, synths, programming, and vocals) has replaced one of their original members, Mike Ransom. Kill The Headlights is kinda more like Adema when they started out but much more advanced and versital. This is a great buy. Their new singer is by far the best. You can tell that he's green but if he sticks around, I expect great things from him. If he doesn't, then I'm sure Adema will grow even more from it, as they have such in the past. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't particularly the best portion of the CD. They're decent but nothing too special. However, All These Years, do actually have a certain style to the lyrics that are different from anything I've ever heard. You should look up those lyrics if you have a free minute. // 3

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the best Adema CD yet. The singer has a pretty good voice and a great scream. I would gladly buy it again if I had to. I actually chose this over the new Korn CD, and that's really saying something. The only thing I don't really care too much for is the singer has certain areas of certain songs that are too repetitive and needs to try to change the vocals a little, but like I said before, he's still green. // 7

Kill The Headlights Reviewed by: rberg79, on september 26, 2008

Sound: Adema comes out with a CD of a slightly different flavor- they've remained constant with their feel of hard/alternative rock but there is a new element of "electronic" sounds (if I can use the word in this context). The songs are overall more polished than those of their previous albums- it's apparent that they spent more time finding sounds and patterns that go well together to make the song flow well throughout. I was very impressed with the more professional feel of the sound of the music. It would be difficult for me to tell you what the music sounds like or who similar artists are- the previous reviewers tried, and failed terribly. Adema has a really unique sound. I would venture to say, so long as I'm obligated in a review to attempt to help you relate to the songs on the album without actually hearing it, I would say that Adema shared musical similarities with Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory- the big difference between the two is that Linkin Park gave in to the rap/pop genre while Adema kept the original feel that defined them and then polished it up.. If this isn't too vague. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were good but did not impress me that much. Even though Adema is one of my favorite bands, and has been from the start, I'm going to have to rate them lower than I want to for this category on this album. To be fair, however, I really like the lyrics for a couple of the songs - let me break it down for you by providing some specific examples. Days Go By: I really like this song and the lyrics- but as always, it helps to be able to personally relate. You know when you get stuck in a rut- working a lot of overtime, waking up after a really hard semester, from when the days seem to be a blur? "Days go by... I just can't keep track of the time." Know what I mean? All These Years: fantastic song. Fantastic lyrics. This one brings the average up, considering the lyrical value of some of the other songs. Brand New Thing: good message, great sound, great song overall. Invisible: here's one with which I have a little complaint. Excellent sound quality, great vocals, but I get the hint that different themes/messages are trying to come together, but just can't. Sounds like a song about a girl, or maybe about a search for personal identity but it's never really clear what they're trying to say to us. Los Angeles: impeccable sound, but with little lyrical value. It seems to be a little hit-and-miss with the lyrical content of the songs on their album. Overall they are good, and where content is lacking, the professional sound quality sweeps me away anyway. // 7

Overall Impression: To sum it up, this album is a great new feel for Adema. Some diehard fans might object to the different path Adema has taken with this album, but I consider myself to be one and I think it's a refreshing change. Adema has been through a couple lead singers before- the first two were very talented and in my opinion, very similar. This lead's voice just belongs to different songs, if you know what I mean. He has an incredibly talented voice- I really like when it sounds like he's running low on air and rips out a casual vibrato, and he adds other little personal quirks to the songs- all of which I like. I think that this album makes for some pleasant foreshadowing for a great album to come. This lead has taken the band in a new direction- this means to me that by the time their next album comes out, they'll really have their stuff together. I eagerly await their next album. If you want to try the album out on iTunes by buying a song or two, definitely get the songs "All These Years" and "Brand New Thing" and/or "Days Go By".. I really like that last one. // 9

More Adema reviews rating latest review
+ Topple The Giants [EP] 8 04/02/2013