Planets Review

adema: Planets
Release Date: Apr 5, 2005
Label: Earache
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
While killer riffs and tight melodic choruses do occur, the bloated, 16-track run time of Planets renders the good stuff less effective.
 5.6
 5.5
 5.7
Planets Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 02, 2005

Sound: Adema was a Korn-like nu-metal band. At least they were 'till the change of band formation. One guitarist left, and then the frontman Marky Chavez. Now they suck so hard. Not they were good in the past, but now they're so awfull. The new gay is a former US marine that sings like a fag. The metal part of the band was dismissed, and now they are reduced to a melodic rock band. It's like they haved changed from water to Dirty mud. Runaway from this! // 1

Lyrics: In the past Adema lyrics were regular. Now they are super ultra melodic fag s--t. I was wondering that if they hired an ex-marine the lyrics would have some impact, too bad I was wrong! This band should disapear from the universe! // 1

Overall Impression: I never was Adema's biggest fan. Now I am their number hater. The only reason for me to rate this s--t "1", is because I cant give it zero. If you are not gay or something like that, avoid this album as much as you can. // 1

Planets Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2007

Sound: First of all someone needs to write a decently opinioned review. The lineup in Adema had changed drastically since their first 3 albums. They went from playing as nu-metal quintet, to a single guitar grungy/alternative quartet (post-grunge is not a genre either you're grunge or not). I believe it was the better move. Tim Fluckey shows that he has some good 7-string guitar skills. He's not as innovating as Korn, or as technical as Jeff Loomis (Nevermore). Nevertheless he shreds on some songs plays nice strumming acoustic and clean riffs and plays nice grungy-distorted riffs. Dave Deroo is a very talented, unknown bass player who fills a very good backbone to the 2 other musicians and even does his nice share of fills in this album and he can also be heard on this album unlike most bassists. Kris Kohls is too, a very underrated drummer. He plays nice fills and gets a good drum sound. The production on this album is solid as well. // 9

Lyrics: This is the major change in the band around this time. Mark Chavez had a piercing yet very emotional nu-metal voice. He is replaced in this album by Luke Caraccioli who has a gentle yet fits just right for the music voice. The lyrics here sometimes don't make any sense, there are songs that get their message out loud and clear. Many of them seem to be dealing with personal life, whether it is with addiction, bad relationships or love. // 8

Overall Impression: To me, this is Adema's best effort. Not a great album but it is one of the better alternative albums of this decade, which is plagued with crappy pop and emo-punk bands. I wish this album would've been more of a success but the serious Adema fan can treasure this all on his own. The best song is 'Tornado'. Other good songs are 'Barricades In Time', 'Shoot The Arrows', 'Until Now', 'Rise Above' the ripping guitar solo on 'Vikraphone' and a few others. One of the songs to avoid on this album is definitely 'Enter the Cage' which is just stupid. The cover of Metallica's 'Thing That Should Not Be' is alright. I this album was lost or stolen I would get it again, but then again I have it on my I-Pod already. // 9

Planets Reviewed by: shabutie86, on january 25, 2008

Sound: This is probably one of the more tamer Adema albums from what I have heared from the bands earlier work. Never mind that they do have a new singer, and have had a newer singer since the release of this album. Their sound will constantly be changing with that kind of track record, leaving fans to wonder if they will ever settle on one vocalist. They began to break out of their nu-metal sound in this album and begin to make a sound that they could describe as unique, though it still felt somewhat to me like a generic modern rock album. Nothing too fantastic about the guitars, it kinda felt like every song had the same exact guitar settings, as if they never touched the equipment and kept it all on 11 across the board except for of course acoustic or clean parts. // 7

Lyrics: The singer that was around for this album Luke Caraccioli has a very good voice range and I thought did very good for this album. It gave them a different sound then from the singers before him. He could become sorrowful, angry and all between very easily. Very versatile voice. The lyrics aren't anything special in my personal opinion. Nothing too deep, nor are they rubbish written down. Like I mentioned before about the guitars they seem like generic modern rock lyrics singing about the hardships of life. I was impressed with the track "Rise Above" which is a acoustic step back from their usual hard sound. It is also easily the bed song on the album. // 6

Overall Impression: As much as I came to l know Adema through this album and eventually get to know their back catalouge, this album defiantly stands out for me, as I got to see them here in Fairbanks Alaska with what was their newest singer, I do wish they held onto the vocalist they had for this album as I think he was their best so far. This album is well balanced and if your a fan you should like it very much. If your new to Adema I would suggest getting this album first as it represents some of their best work out, but also some of their most mainstream sounding as well. // 7

More Adema reviews rating latest review
+ Topple The Giants [EP] 8 04/02/2013