Get A Grip Review

aerosmith: Get A Grip
Released: Apr 1993
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Pop-Metal, Arena Rock
The fitfully entertaining Get a Grip pales against its predecessor's musical diversity.
 8.9
 8.8
Get A Grip Reviewed by: derekwm2001, on september 02, 2004

Sound: If you didn't know who Aerosmith was, you would probually freak out when you saw the udder of a cow smacked on the face of the album cover but it is america's greatest rock band themselves Aerosmith. Get A Grip presented Aerosmith at the top of their fame. The boys pulled out all the stops to try to obtain a good guitar album, while experimenting with new musical and lyrical ideas. From Polynesian Log Drums in the intro, to the amazing arrangement of horns, trombones, and sax's on the ballads this album prefected aspects you can find in every Aerosmith album since Get A Grip. // 10

Lyrics: Though slightly sappy, the three major ballads on this album (Amazing, Crazy and Cryin) hit you as being, not love songs, but tunes that are uniquely Aerosmith. But don't get me wrong, there are other tracks that make this album worth your dollars if you don't like Aerosmith's signature ballads. Eat The Rich will have you wanting to beat the crap out of the nearest rich guy, while songs like Fever, Livin On The Edge, and Line Up (Co-written with Lenny Kravitz) will have you jamming all night long. // 10

Overall Impression: Though this album is considered Aerosmith's greatest by non-hardcore fans, I am forced to give it a 4. This album is not my favorite, but it did allow Aerosmith to gain the large fan-base that the 90's had to offer. The ballads showed the sappier side of Steven Tyler, but the fast tracks did make up for the ballad's ability to make you want to change the number. Personally, I don't believe that Crazy, Cryin and Amazing should have been the only three major singles that were spawned by this early 90's Aero-incarnation. Overall, this is a great album, and I would still recommend it to anyone. // 8

Get A Grip Reviewed by: J-Smack, on may 15, 2008

Sound: The sound of Get a Grip is very similar to Pump, excluding the 80's signature echo-type effect. I really liked Pump, so I also enjoy the sound of this album. No amazing riffs like the old Aerosmith, but it meshes Aerosmith with a bit of Pop, which creates a nice listening experience overall. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are nice and sleezy like the classic Aerosmith. Of course, there's the nice ballad (Amazing) and Tyler's voice sounds the same as it did since Permanent Vacation. (Yes, a nice amount of screaming from him, too.) Joe Perry gives a shot at singing on Walk On Down, pretty bad to me. I liked him a whole lot better on Bobo. So, if you like what Aerosmith stands for, you're good for lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Get A Grip is pretty close to the top in Aerosmith albums for me. I like Pump a wee bit more, though. I'd say it's still in the same calliber as Pump and Vacation. I can't really compare 90's Aerosmith to classic Aerosmith, because they are very very different. You could like one style and hate the other. I love both, and would rank Get A Grip pretty close to Toys In the Attic. My favorite songs would be Get A Grip, Flesh, Shut Up and Dance ( a lot of people like this one; plenty of tabs, too) along with the hits Amazing and Crazy. I'd replace this album if I lost it, but I am obsessed with keeping my Aerosmith collection, so take that into consideration. // 9

Get A Grip Reviewed by: JimMRocks, on june 13, 2008

Sound: Let's just start by saying, it's not exactly Rocks, but it's pretty damn good. The sound is about the same as pump, but musically Get A Grip is my favorite of the two. Classic Aerosmith mixed with a bit of pop. Normally I say that's a no no, but they manage to make it sound great. There's structure, some decent riffs, and Steven Tyler's voice stays strong in songs like "Amazing", "Crazy", and "Cryin", all ballads, all worth listening to. My personal favorite off this album is "Shut Up and Dance", Which is why I originally bought the album, only to discover there's a musical journey behind every sleazy, dirty rock song on it. // 8

Lyrics: I was very impressed with Tyler's voice. Very Rock N' Roll sound during songs like "Eat the Rich", "Fever", "Flesh", and "Shut Up and Dance". Then sets the mood with songs like "Amazing", "Crazy", and "Cryin". A major flaw was letting Joe Perry sing, my ears turned inside out and damn near fell off. An excellent guitarist, but the song "Walk on Down", which he lends his voice to, was probablly my least favorite. Lyrically overall not to bad. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said before, it sure as hell ain't Rocks, or Toys in the Attic, but worth adding to the collection. The standout songs were songs like "Eat the Rich", "Shut Up and Dance", "Cryin", "Crazy", "Line Up", and "Amazing". That's just my opinion, but I'm sure many will agree. I won't lie, I love the album cover. What better way to grab your attention then a cow's utters, that's Aerosmith for ya I guess. If it were stolen, I would without a doubt buy it again. Hope this helps ya, this is my first review. // 8

More Aerosmith reviews rating latest review
+ Just Push Play 7.1 04/02/2013