Get Your Wings Review

aerosmith: Get Your Wings
Release Date: Mar 1974
Label: Columbia
Genres: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock
Get Your Wings was impressive both in terms of its material and its measurable improvement over Aerosmith's debut.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
Get Your Wings Reviewed by: ToysInTheAttic1, on october 17, 2005

Sound: Aerosmith's second release, Get Your Wings, is a sign of things to come a few years later from Aeromsith. The music and lyrics are awesome. After Aeromsmith's self-titled debut didn't sell well, Aerosmith had to prove to their record company they were worth keeping. Thankfully, this album quickly went Gold and it's not hard to see (or hear) why. The singing and playing have improved greatly, especially Steven Tyler's voice. The styles range from blues-rock, to hard rock and early heavy metal. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have improved from their first album for the most part. The ballad Seasons Of Wither are probably the best and Lord Of The Thighs are probably the worst (they are still good though). The lyrics go great with the music. Seasons Of Wither's lyrics go great with the acoustic guitar and Train Kept A Rollin's lyrics go well with the hard rockin' guitar. Steven Tyler's voice has greatly improved from the screechy, teenage voice from their debut and will continue to improve throughout Toys In The Attic and Rocks. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums of the early '70s. I'll go through the songs one by one: 01. Same Old Song And Dance - this blues rocker is a great way to kick off the album with great guitar and saxophone solos 10/10. 02. Lord Of The Thighs - this song is a rocker with a guitar riff that sounds like Walk This Way. Great drum beat 10/10. 03. Spaced - this song starts with weird sound effects at the beginning. The guitar and Steven Tyler's voice sound really good in this mid-tempo song 8/10. 04. Woman Of The World - starts with a cool drum beat then goes into an acoustic riff then an awesome solo. Awesome long guitar and harmonica solo at the end 9/10. 05. SOS (Too Bad) - starts with a funky guitar riff then goes into a fast paced awesome song. Kinda short at 2:51 though 8/10. 06. Train Kept A Rollin' - the first 2 minutes of this song has a cool mid-tempo blues riff, a sing-along chorus, and 2 awesome solos. The song stops at around the 2 minute mark and in comes a drum roll. After some train-sounding effects from the guitar, it goes into one of the heaviest songs of the '70s. Awesome solo 20/10. 07. Seasons Of Wither - awesome ballad with great lyrics. Another awesome solo by Joe Perry. 2nd best song behind Train Kept A Rollin 15/10. 08. Pandora's Box - mid-tempo song with awesome chorus. Only Aerosmith song written by drummer Joey Kramer. I think Train should be the closing song though 8/10. If this CD was stolen I would steal it back or buy another one because it is worth the money. // 9

Get Your Wings Reviewed by: J-Smack, on july 09, 2007

Sound: Get Your Wings is in the mid-stages of Aerosmith developing its sound. This is right before Toys In the Attic, which would probably be the last stage. Aerosmith was given one last chance to make it in the business and Get Your Wings was the result. Obviously, they succeeded, but still, they had no hits. Get Your Wings has an early hard rock feel to it throughout the whole album, and never lets up. It ranges from the rockin' "Train Kept A Rollin'," to the jazzy "Same Old Song And Dance," to the ballad, "Seasons of whither," all of which are great in their own styles. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing for this album. They flow through the music perfectly as if they were meant to be together by fate. Tyler uses his normal voice for the first time (See my review on the album "Aerosmith,") and it sounds awesome. Steven used his lower register at this time, not concentrating on wailing or screeching, although the album does contain a small amount of this. The lyrics are well thought out, and they are all pretty much easy to follow, which makes this album very easy to enjoy. // 10

Overall Impression: Get Your Wings is up there with Toys In the Attic and Rocks on my list. It may not contain hits, but "Same Old Song And Dance," "Lord Of The Thighs," "Woman Of The World," "Train Kept A Rollin'" and others should have been up their on the chart. In my opinion, there is nothing on this album that I could hate, and if I lost Get Your Wings, I would definetely go out of my way to replace it, no matter if I had it backed up on tape or hard drive. This is an overall great album, and a good first-album to listen to for new Aerofans. // 10

Get Your Wings Reviewed by: JimMRocks, on july 19, 2008

Sound: Often overshadowed by the subsequent twin highlights of Toys in the Attic and Rocks, Aerosmith's 1974 second album, Get Your Wings, is where Aerosmith became Aerosmith, it's where they teamed up with producer Jack Douglas, it's where they she'd much of their influences and developed their own trademark sound, it's where they turned into songwriters, it's where Steven Tyler unveiled his signature obsessions with sex and sleaze. Chief among these attributes may be Douglas, who either helped the band ease into the studio or captured their sound in a way their debut never did. This is a leaner, harder album, bathed in grease and layered in grit, but it's not just down to Douglas. The band itself sounds more distinctive. There are blues in Joe Perry and Joey Kramer's interplay, but this leapfrogs over blues-rock; it turns into slippery hard rock. To be sure, it's still easy to hear the Stones here, but they never really sound Stonesy; there's almost more of the Yardbirds to the way the group works the riffs, particularly evident on the cover of the early 'Birds classic "The Train Kept a Rollin'." But if the Yardbirds were tight and nervy, Aerosmith is blown out and loose, the sound of excess incarnate -- that is, in every way but the writing itself, which is confident and strong, fueled by Tyler's gonzo sex drive. He is the "Lord of the Thighs," playing that "Same Old Song and Dance," but he also slows down enough for the eerie "Seasons of Wither," a powerful slow-churning ballad whose mastery of atmosphere is a good indication of how far the band has grown. They never attempted anything quite so creepy on their debut, but it isn't just that Aerosmith is trying newer things on Get Your Wings, it's that they're doing their bloozy bluster better and bolder, which is what turns this sophomore effort into their first classic. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Same Old Song And Dance - built around a blues riff Joe Perry came up with while sitting on his amp, Steven Tyler quickly came up with the verse riff. 02. Lord Of The Thighs - after the band decided they needed one more song for the album, they locked themselves into their rehearsal room, and came up with this. The narrator is a pimp who recruits a young woman he sees on the street into prostitution. Tyler also plays the piano. Kramer's opening beat is very similar to the one he would tap out a year later in "Walk This Way". 03. Spaced 04. Woman Of The World - written by Steven Tyler and his former band, The Strangeurs. 05. S.O.S. (Too Bad) - a proto-punk song, it emphasizes the same content punk rock would soon be known for: gritty lyrics, questionable moral content, and straight to the point music. 06. (The) Train Kept A-rollin' - Tiny Bradshaw's 1951 R&B classic, already turned into a rock song by The Rock and Roll Trio (Johnny and Dorsey Burnette and Paul Burlison) (1956) and updated by the The Yardbirds in a 1965 raw British blues version, after whom Aerosmith modeled their version. In the band's early days, it was their signature, show-stopping song, and is still used to end their concerts today. Despite the band's opposition, Douglas put in echo and recorded crowd noises (from the Concert for Bangla Desh) around halfway through to give it a live feel, fading into the next song's synthesized blowing wind/acoustic guitar entrance. Douglas also brought in session guitarists Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter of Rock n Roll Animal fame to play the guitars on the song in Perry's stead. 07. Seasons Of Wither - in a change of pace from the rest of the album, this song is a slow, mournful ballad inspired by the Massachusetts landscape in the winter. 08. Pandora's Box - Joey Kramer's first writing credit, this song was written on a used guitar he found in a dumpster. It was heavily inspired by the soul musicians of the '60s and '70s. Steven Tyler sounds great in this album. He's a lot more loose and "Sleazier" compared to their debut album "Aerosmith". // 9

Overall Impression: This is Aerosmith's first of their "Dirty, Sleazy" albums. It includes key tracks such as "Same Old Song and Dance", "Train Kept A 'Rollin", and "Lord Of The Thighs". I love this album's power to make you dance no matter where your at. Filled with blues riffs between Perry and Whitford, but it's sarcastic, sleazy lyrics to keep you smile, "Get Your Wings" won't dissapoint. Some songs I could do without were "Woman Of The World" and "Seasons of Wither", but that's just my opinion. If this were stolen or lost, I would definitally get it again. // 10

Get Your Wings Reviewed by: aerorocker101, on october 08, 2010

Sound: When you first put this album on, thesound is much different than from what we're used to now in a digital cd, but in a good way. I imagine that on vinyl it sounds perfect. After you hear Same old song and dance, the songs get really pumped up and loud so you don't think about the sound quality after that first song. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics? Stevens writing is still nice and fresh so the writing on this is great! My favorite songnlyrics are in Seasons of Wither. You get the nice Halloween vibe when you hear the breeze sweeping through the music and the guitars slowly rise to max volume by the time the chords hit. Not just Seasons though. Woman of the World is great! The lyrics match what the guitars are trying to "say". I love the acoustic in the beginning! // 10

Overall Impression: I nlove this album. The only let down was the price I payed for it, only because I alreadyhad half the songs from like pandoras box or something. But other than that, great album. Sure they were still on the verge of trying to get famous, but that doesn't matter to the true Aerosmith fan. I completely recommend this album. // 10

More Aerosmith reviews rating latest review
+ Just Push Play 7.1 04/02/2013