Honkin' On Bobo Review

Styles: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Album Rock
 8.4
 9.6
Honkin' On Bobo Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2004

Sound: Aerosmith prove that a band can be inspired by the blues and play the blues without ever feeling like a blues band. Then again, the nature of the blues is that every musician who plays it stamps his or her own identity on a set of familiar chord changes and songs. While it might not feel like the blues, Aerosmith do indeed stamp their identity on each track on their long-promised blues album, the atrociously named Honkin' on Bobo. They turn up the amps and cut loose, playing slick and sleazy blooze-rock that feels indebted to second-generation blues-rock instead of blues forefathers. That's the nature of the band. Honkin' on Bobo is something that could be close to anathema to blues purists, since it's a rock album pure and simple, but chances are the bandmembers don't care, since they're just here to have a good time playing songs they love. The song selection proves they're no purists. There are some warhorses with "Road Runner," "Baby, Please Don't Go," "I'm Ready," and "Eyesight to the Blind," but there's also a heavy dose of Fred McDowell, a Fleetwood Mac tune, a little-known Little Walter song, an obscure song from the obscure band Freedom, a Smiley Lewis number, and one casual original. While the warhorses are predictable, the rest is not, and the album itself is a bit of a surprise, too. Every indication, from the awful title and silly album art to the notion that the band was going back to its roots, suggests that this is going to be an embarrassment from a band that has been no stranger to embarrassment during the '90s. Instead, it's the best flat-out rock album Aerosmith have made in ages, ever since Joe Perry rejoined the band for Done With Mirrors. // 10

Lyrics: Aerosmith's "Honkin' on Bobo" album can be easly called tribute album to the best blues/blue bands. So, chances you've heard most of the songs are pretty hight. Having said this, put a rating for this category is just pointless. // 10

Overall Impression: They can still be tasteless and ridiculous, whether in Steven Tyler's vocal affectations or in the band's oversized riffs, but again, that's the nature of the band ? no other band does sleaze better. When they do it well, it can be irresistible rock & roll, and it's been a long, long time since they've sounded as good as they do here. Despite that awful title, Honkin' on Bobo is a real surprise and a real return to form for Aerosmith. It could be easy to find out a weak side of the album though. One would think an Aerosmith blues album would be a raw affair, with Joe and the rest of the band finally being allowed to breathe and just let go. Nope. The problem with this album lands squarely on the over-production and more imporantly on the shoulders of one Steven Tyler. The man just never shuts up. With the exception of a couple of songs (one that he doesn't sing on at all) it's "The Steven's Show" from start to finish. The band never really gets to open up and just jam. It's a blues album for Christ's sake! // 10

Honkin' On Bobo Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on march 02, 2005

Sound: The sound is there and the music isn't that bad I don't guess. It is a covers blues album so it is a little direct for the common Aerosmith fan. I think the sound is great and creative on the style. It's basically fast paced blues rock/jam songs. They're fun to hear in general. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are fine. Nothing really special. It isn't their lyrics so this one is a tough one to rate I guess. Aerosmith not being Aerosmith with a covers album in my opinion. // 6

Overall Impression: I personally thought this was a terrible attempt to come back after Just Push Play. I hate this album and I do not like it. I got it in good faith. I sold it to a friend. I would never buy this. It isn't anything like Aerosmith. It takes away what the band is. Cover album or not, this album just isn't good. That's why it barely went Gold in the States. The numbers and impression from previous albums to this one show. It isn't good at all. Die hard fans only. // 4

Honkin' On Bobo Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Honkin' On Bobo was Aerosmith's best album since Get A Grip. Their collection of blues covers was a driffernet approach to the classics. Steve Tyler and Joe perry have always wanted to do a blues album like this, and I think this was the perfect time in their careers to do one. If Honkin' On Bob had been released in say the '70s or '80s it may not have been received as well as it is today. This album was a smart move for Aerosmith, and hopefully they won't stop making awesome records like this. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, there's not much to say. None of the lyrics were written by the band because they were all covers of old blues tunes. However the lyrics on the albumare amazing. The way the lyrics mesh with Joe's guitar play and Joey's hard rock drumming are superb. I especially like the lyrics on Roadrunner and Baby Please Don't Go. Steve Tyler still shows he can rock, and becauseof his timeless wails and cackles I think Aerosmith music and lyrics will continue to be considered as classic for generations to come. // 8

Overall Impression: Honkin' On Bobo is right up there with Permanent Vacation and Toys In The Attic, because it's not only a great album but because came at an important part in the careers of Steve Tyler, Joe Perry, Tom Hamilton, Brad Whitford, and Joey Kramer. Toys and Permanent Vacation were great albums too because of the same reasons. Aerosmith right now is the best reunion tour-era band. Unlike Kiss, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin, who are all also o thier reunion tour type tours, Aerosmith continues to write great music and not just be a travelling greatest hits package. // 10

Honkin' On Bobo Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Sound: The sound is there and the music isn't that bad I don't guess. It is a covers blues album so it is a little direct for the common Aerosmith fan. I think the sound is great and creative on the style. It's basically fast paced blues rock/jam songs. They're fun to hear in general. // 9

Overall Impression: They can still be tasteless and ridiculous, whether in Steven Tyler's vocal affectations or in the band's oversized riffs, but again, that's the nature of the band, no other band does sleaze better. When they do it well, it can be irresistible rock & roll, and it's been a long, long time since they've sounded as good as they do here. Despite that awful title, Honkin' On Bobo is a real surprise and a real return to form for Aerosmith. It could be easy to find out a weak side of the album though. One would think an Aerosmith blues album would be a raw affair, with Joe and the rest of the band finally being allowed to breathe and just let go. Nope. The problem with this album lands squarely on the over-production and more imporantly on the shoulders of one Steven Tyler. The man just never shuts up. With the exception of a couple of songs (one that he doesn't sing on at all) it's "The Steven's Show" from start to finish. The band never really gets to open up and just jam. It's a blues album for Christ's sake! // 8

More Aerosmith reviews rating latest review
+ Just Push Play 7.1 04/02/2013