Pump Review

aerosmith: Pump
Released: Sep 1989
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Pop-Metal, Arena Rock, Hair Metal
Such ambition and successful musical eclecticism make Pump rank with Rocks and Toys in the Attic.
 9.5
 8.9
Pump Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2004

Sound: Hard and heavy, the Toxic Twins and the rest of the gang in Aerosmith proved they could come back with even harder and heavier riffs. Joe and Brad really out did themselves when making the incredibly performed solos on this album. // 10

Lyrics: Steven Tyler was at his sleaziest when penning the lyrics for this one. Tracks like F.I. N.E. and Love In An Elevator are very simular to the sleazy hits from Bon Scott. But obviously, sexual metaphors weren't the only thing going through Tyler's head as serious songs like Janie's Got A Gun and Voodoo Medicine Man will get you thinking about how are handled in the world, while never taking away from the fun of the album. And what would an Aerosmith album be without a ballad? I mean they are the inventors of the power-ballad after all... What it Takes is a musical masterpiece and lacks the sappy lyrics of a country song. Steven's dilivery is better than ever and this point is clearly seen in tracks like Monkey On My Back and Don't Get Mad, Get Even. This entire album the Demon of Screamin's hard rock vocal talent and songwriting ability. // 10

Overall Impression: Pump stands out from all the other Aerosmith albums as it was Aerosmith's true emergence into the mainstream rock world after their short lived demise. Classic, fan-favorite tracks such as Love In An Elevator, Janie's Got A Gun, What It Takes, and even the underused F.I.N.E. tear through your ear drums with the hard rock dilivery that only Aerosmith can deliver. This is probually my favorite album in my Aero-collection and I would never be able to overcome the mourning and grief I would feel from the result of its loss. // 10

Pump Reviewed by: Smylly shredder, on july 20, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album was ubleleivable. When I first put it in the player, I had to turn down the bass booster because everything was rocking so hard. I mean, this album is truly a wall of sound, from beggining to end. As for the music, it is solid Aerosmith. It took them 15 years (give or take) to boil their sound down to this album and it was their peak. With all the bluesy bass lines, the raw, grungy dueling guitars and solid drums, everything about the music say's "Aerosmith". And of course, Steven's voice is just the icing on the cake, blasting everything else out of the way, demanding your attention. And you can't forget the sound effects on Janie's got a gun, and the erotic intro to Love in an Elevator. All of these just add flavour to the whole album. A pleasurable experience for anyone's ears. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the whole album is toungue in cheek. I mean, the album starts with "Young Lust", talking about doing it in the sunshine, while hanging from a cloth's line, and then finding another tree to climb. You can't get much dirtier than that. But that's what makes it good. Innuendo's are fun, and Steven Tyler know's this and milks it for all that it's worth. Obviously there are the deeper songs, like monkey on my back, and Janie's got a gun, but even then, he simplifies things back to where they started. Sex. It makes everything just a little bit easier to handle, creating a perfect balance between serious and not. If it had been any other way, the whole album probably would have been a turn off. // 10

Overall Impression: To me, this album was the greatest ever recorded. I have owned it for a few years now, and I've listened to it at least once a day every day (that's over 1000 times) and haven't got bored of it yet. The only reason that the thing is so cheap is that you can get every song on it on one of their greatest hit's albums. It's definitly worth the 10 bucks. // 10

More Aerosmith reviews rating latest review
+ Just Push Play 7.1 04/02/2013